New dependency for PLSM3 ?

tuan kuranes

13-09-2006 14:21:27

The more I advance the more obvious to me libnoise use is a must for the planned "filters" plsm3 design idea.

So give your advice here.

"yes but Define" is a different answer as it make code unreadable and therefore harder to maintain. So it would only be if people think it's necessary.

OvermindDL1

13-09-2006 16:16:53

I use libnoise in my applications. Libnoise also has not been updated in years (really not needed as it is complete). You could just package it with your things, it is under the lgpl too so you could even combine them into the same project if you wanted...

tuan kuranes

13-09-2006 16:27:51

libnoise cvs is updated. (last fix is five day old, and has a promising title "Changes for libnoise version 1.0.0 RC2"
and libnoise RC1 is only a month old : http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=599047">ishttp://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.ph ... _id=599047

Kentamanos

13-09-2006 19:24:29

If it doesn't cause any licensing issues (it appears to be LGPL), I don't think it's a big deal.

PatrickB3

15-09-2006 19:17:07

Being realistic, who really cares. I am going to use the default landscape terrain manager where I have to do zone loading and have a lower frame rate just because PLSM3 includes a library I may or may not need?

I already deal with all this code that only has the purpose of being cross platform and I only really care about Windows anyways in all the other pieces of the game. I deal with keeping many copies of everything so that Ogre has one, collision has one, the sound library has one, etc. I mean when it's free you deal with it.

If you were thinking of adding a 300 MB library I may get a little nervous and perhaps scared off. A 101 KB library is really not worthy of much discussion.

As Kentamanos mentioned, as long as it doesn't change the licensing it is really more your decision than ours.

If I was you Tuan I would be more afraid of it for your use than ours. It is already a problem when PLSM2 and GOOF are out of sync. Now you will have a dependancy to deal with that you have no control over. If you're willing to do that just for our benefit then I don't think we have a right to complain, lol.

OvermindDL1

18-09-2006 21:37:48

As both PLSM and libnoise are lgpl, they could be compiled together, rather then as a separate dependency...

lehua011

04-05-2010 03:26:26

You could just package it with your things, it is under the lgpl too so you could even combine them into the same project if you wanted...