Feature requests and wish list

mstoyke

14-08-2010 18:42:53

If you miss a feature in Mogre or need an add-on that is compatible and ready to use with Mogre this is the right place for you. Just write a short description of what you miss most and we will schedule the most wanted features with a higher priority in future development.

The current prioritized list is:
  1. (+9) Ogre terrain component wrapper (details here)[/*:m]
  2. (+7) [b]Miyagi[/b] (add-on for GUI)[/*:m]
  3. (+5) [b]MOIS[/b] update (add-on for input) (done)[/*:m]
  4. (+5) Updated SDK (improved installer)[/*:m]
  5. (+5) Documentation updates[/*:m]
  6. (+4) More example projects[/*:m]
  7. (+4) [b]MHydrax[/b] (add-on for water simulation)[/*:m]
  8. (+4) Ogre paging component wrapper (part of the new terrain system for large terrain)[/*:m]
  9. (+2) [b]PhysX candy wrapper[/b] (add-on for physics + collision detection)[/*:m]
  10. (+1) [b]MogreNewt[/b] (add-on for physics + collision detection)[/*:m]
  11. (+1) [b]MyGUI wrapper[/b] (add-on for GUI)[/*:m]
  12. (+1) [b]FMOD SoundManager[/b] (add-on for Sound)[/*:m]
  13. (+1) [b]CEGUI[/b][/*:m]
  14. (+1) Ability to override Ogre classes (details here)[/*:m]
  15. Using Particle Universe with Mogre (wiki)[/*:m][/list:u]
    We will update this list when more feature requests are posted. Everybody should write down their personal wish list, even if the projects are already in this list. The more often a project is requested, the higher its priority will be.

Edit:
    2010-08-15: Updated the list, added priority levels
    2010-09-05: Updated priority levels with input from amirabiri
    2010-12-26: Added PhysX and MyGUI wrapper to list (starts with 0 points) + added links (update by user Beauty)
    2011-01-21: Added points from user Pyritie
    2011-03-07: Added points from user MrChris
    2011-05-10: Added points from user HazardousWaster
    2011-05-28: Added points from user kr12, smitt, AliAkdurak
    2011-12-27: Added point from user Tubulii

Beauty

14-08-2010 23:41:31

Here are some suggestions.
It would be nice when these add-ons will be re-compiled against Mogre when a newer Mogre version released.
I don't mean it would be the task of Mogre maintainer mstoyke. It also can be done by it's maintainers. But sometimes it can happen that they are not active. In this case it would be good, if somebody "just" try to compile and publish it again.

* MogreNewt - a physics wrapper
* Managed Hydrax Wrapper (MHydrax) - great water simulation
* Miyagi - an active developed GUI system
* other useful GUI systems which still works (MButtonGUI, CeGui or whatever) - but higher priority have still maintained projects I think

As my own documentation task - I would like to (re-)create an overview of existing add-ons that are usable with Mogre.
In the past I created such a list on a wiki page, but had problems with a wiki bug. Now after the switching to the new wiki software most of it's content is gone.

amirabiri

28-08-2010 16:26:07

Well being new here and all I'm not familiar yet with the issues on more advancaed components. I think it would be nice if the basic tutorials at least where 1-1 with the Ogre ones. In other words Terrain components/paging and MOIS.

Also I think there ought to be something done with the "framework" used in the tutorials. The current one is obscure, written by someone a long time ago which doesn't seem to still be around, and seems to be (at least at this point) very different to the one used in the Ogre tutorials. Attempts to get hold of its source code lead to many 404s until finally you find some working link in an old forum post.

The quickstart projects on the other hand aren't bad, but I'm not sure they are suitable for the tutorials (at least not if we want parallelism with Ogre). If we do use them and the tutorials need to be updated accordingly.

Finally, it would be good to sort out the SDK, specially so that it works on .NET 4.0 and VS 2010.

So I guess my list would be:
1. MOIS.
2. Terrain components & paging.
3. Example framework & tutorials.
4. Mogre SDK.

I am happy to volunteer to take on #3 (i.e as I said I'll try to work on the tutorials, I might as well build a new framework for them that is similar to the one used currently in the Ogre ones).

Beauty

04-09-2010 23:57:09

Sorry that the tutorials are outdated. I hope I find the time to check the basic tutorials and update them. (For this I need to do all the steps.) With the advanced ones I never worked until today. But it's right - outdated/incompatible tutorials are a pain for newcomers.

The MogreFramework.dll has to be compiled by the related Mogre.dll version.
An other way would be to just include the source code of the MogreFramework. (maybe it's just one .cs file)
I suppose the source code was somewhere in a repository.
For the demos of the Mogre SDK we use a similar "helper class" called ExampleApplication.dll.
Maybe I use this as the base for the basic tutorials.
Also: Maybe we shouldn't offer a dll file. Instead of this say: "add the files xxx.cs and yyy.cs from the MogreSDK to your project".

Some Mogre tutorials are 1:1 to the Ogre tutorials, others not.
I think this are these reasons:
* Not all tutorials were ported to C#.
* At least one was written for Mogre and doesn't exists as Ogre (C++) tutorial. So it just got the next tutorial counter number.
* Related to the basic tutorial 3, which contains terrain information: The Ogre tutorial was updated to the new terrain system. This isn't available for Mogre until today. User mstoyke updates the Mogre wrapper for it, but currently it's only in an early development state. It was published for testing only. When it's ready (run stable and contains all methods/properties), then it's the time for updating the terrain section of the tutorial.

I am happy to volunteer to take on #3 (i.e as I said I'll try to work on the tutorials, I might as well build a new framework for them that is similar to the one used currently in the Ogre ones).
We are happy about everybody who support us in any way.
For the wiki you don't need a permission - just log in (with the forum username/password) and click an edit button :wink:
I see, you are working with the tutorials. Good would be when you make notes of all things which causes trouble. So I know the right point where to update something. (I don't care if you write the notes directly to the wiki or if you post it in our forum. It's your choise. But please don't send it by PM.)

NIKIMC

05-11-2010 12:24:37

Hi,and first of all I want to say that MOGRE is a great think ,tnx for it.
Now I want to ask if there is a Network wrapper or something for ogre

Beauty

19-12-2010 20:00:14

@ NIKIMC:
Sorry for my late answer. I wasn't here for a while.
In the forum thread Full stack for a game built in C#? some Mogre users wrote which libraries they use for their projects. There are also suggestions for network libraries.
Nice to read that you like Mogre. Your other posts are in the OgreNewt sections. Also you ask for Ogre in your second line. Now I wonder if you use Ogre or Mogre?

hedphelym

26-12-2010 11:51:49

How about basic network?
Where you have one "server" application, then you open a slave application,
then the server tells the slave where the objects should be in the world?

I would not mind giving that a try, I've wanted to learn this for a while.

Edit: I see you posted info about this in above post..
Sorry for not reading fully.

But still we need it as a sample application with the SDK.

nico008

03-01-2011 22:05:26

Great topics here :-)

Mogre community is very nice.
I wish I had some freetime so I can help you...

Here is my wish list:

1. Miyagi - an active developed GUI system (so good!!!!)
2. Terrain components & paging.
3. Example framework & tutorials/Documentation

Pyritie

21-01-2011 01:45:53

+1 to terrain, paging, and maybe miyagi
Note by admin Beauty: The points I added to the list.

what does the SDK update mean? Like a general cleanup or something?

amirabiri

21-01-2011 11:03:06

I forgot to mention BTW that I compiled MOIS for .NET 4.0 and it works well (actually that is the MOIS.dll included with the tutorials framework).

Who should I send it to to be included with the Mogre SDK?

Beauty

21-01-2011 20:00:03

Send a message to user kwertz and ask him for SVN access of the MogreSDK.
If he doesn't answer, I can add you, too. (But for this I have to find out, how to do, because I have no experience with the administration of code.google.)

mstoyke

03-02-2011 21:46:04

MOIS just got a binary release for VS2010/.NET4 here: Download the package

I will try to update it from OIS 1.2 to OIS 1.3 soon.

MrChris

07-03-2011 18:12:59

Thanks for all the work on keeping the system as up to date as it is. Here is my priority list for Mogre.

1. Terrain System
2. Miyagi
3. MHydrax
4. Documentation

HazardousWaster

05-05-2011 21:20:35

+4 Terrain
+3 Paging
+2 Miyagi
+1 Hydrax

On a side note, thanks very much for the wrapper anyway, I much prefer C# to C++!

kr12

22-05-2011 19:56:37

I need simple tutorial of how to create custom Controls in Miyagi. (I want to port http://sourceforge.net/projects/dotnetlib/
- advanced flexible tree-view control to it, but I found that Miyagi is too complicated to me)

smitt

24-05-2011 01:23:54

Miyagi is no longer available on .net2?
"PhysX candy wrapper" on physx3
FMOD example
Cegui

AliAkdurak

25-05-2011 07:38:32

Terrain And/Or Paging
Physx Candy Wrapper support

Are my priorities right now :) I am trying to build the terrain my self but I think I am just not talented enough :)

Beauty

28-05-2011 13:31:49

I need simple tutorial of how to create custom Controls in Miyagi. (I want to port http://sourceforge.net/projects/dotnetlib/
- advanced flexible tree-view control to it, but I found that Miyagi is too complicated to me)

Tutorials and other useful information are somewhere on the project website.
You can discuss about the control whish with the Miyagi maintainer.
Either in the Miyagi forum topic or you create a new topic and invite user smiley80.

Miyagi is no longer available on .net2?
Cegui

Basically Miyagi should work with .NET 2.0 up to 4.0.
I'm not shure which pre-compiled versions are currently provided. (there is no information about the download link)
So you should ask in the Miyagi forum topic.
Maybe the maintainer provide a version for your need.
In worst case you need to compile Miyagi yourself against your wanted .NET version.

CEGUI is not available for Mogre.
An alternative to Miyagi is the .NET wrapper of MyGUI.
More Mogre GUI information you find here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13814

Tubulii

25-12-2011 17:58:24

That about "Ability to override Ogre classes" (from old Mogre roadmap)?
Classes like SimpleRenderable are very important if you want to convert c++ ogre code to mogre (for example the deferred shading example code from > 1.7 or gorilla) without messing around with movableobject.

Beauty

27-12-2011 13:11:31

Thanks for your note.
I added your useful suggestion to the Mogre bug tracker.
https://bitbucket.org/mogre/mogre/issue ... re-classes

By the way:
This part of the Mogre roadmap is very old and was written by the father of Mogre, which is retired since about 4 years now.

Tubulii

27-12-2011 13:24:04

This part of the Mogre roadmap is very old and was written by the father of Mogre, which is retired since about 4 years now.

I know (it says so in the wiki roadmap) but this means the problem is quite old and still ... present.

Dalon

30-03-2012 09:35:44

Hi!

I would love to see Paged Geometry Engine wrapped for MOgre. I'm working on the wrap myself at the moment since the only thing I found was an Alpha of somebody in this forums and he didn't share his code as far as I see.

Well... I got it compiling and linking somehow but It doesn't render anything (don't know exactly why :( )

Beauty

30-03-2012 13:21:51

Our new tool MogreBuilder can build Mogre automatically.
Also the terrain and paging component is supported (with exception of a few API methods, which caused problems with the autowrapper).

Perhaps this fits your needs.
We would be happy about a feedback.
(Please don't post it in this "feature request" topic. Report in the MogreBuilder topic instead.)

MogreBuilder development / feedback topic:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29272

MogreBuilder repository:
https://bitbucket.org/mogre/mogrebuilder
Clone the code (or download it manually), compile it, run it.
In normal case it should compile sucessfully. If not, please tell us the problems.

Beauty

30-03-2012 13:41:38

That about "Ability to override Ogre classes" (from old Mogre roadmap)?
Classes like SimpleRenderable are very important if you want to convert c++ ogre code to mogre (for example the deferred shading example code from > 1.7 or gorilla) without messing around with movableobject.

Perhaps we can improve Mogre as you need.
Details I posted here:
viewtopic.php?p=98787#p98787

Beauty

30-03-2012 14:04:22

I would love to see Paged Geometry Engine wrapped for MOgre.

Look to this blog post:
http://www.craftworkgames.com/blog/buil ... re-part-4/

Zarifus created a demo application, based on Mogre binaries, created by the MogreBuilder.

Mogre Samples

I’ve also added a new Terrain and Paging sample to the Mogre samples found in the installer. Unfortunately, there is still nowhere to load my changes on bitbucket so instead you can download them directly including the binaries, source code and media.

Download Mogre Samples including Terrain and Paging

User McDonte published an updated Mogre Tutorial (number 3b), which explains how to use the new terrain component.
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Mogre+Basic+Tutorial+3b

It's not about paging, but perhaps it's still useful to get an idea how to use the paging component.
If you find out, how to use paging, it would be great if you publish it in a new forum topic or in the wiki.

umityildiz

30-03-2012 14:48:15

Super, continue to work. :D

Beauty

30-03-2012 15:04:40

I would love to see Paged Geometry Engine wrapped for MOgre.
I found an other related topic:
Paged Geometry in Mogre (alpha)

It seems so that DirtyHippy made some improvements to that.
(Although it seems so that it's not included to the official Mogre repository. I hope we can do so.)

edoardo

26-05-2012 15:14:14

+1 Mogre Terrain System
+1 Update Mogre to wrap 1.8.0 "Byatis" (that could make easier the previous one?)
+1 Miyagi (with MORE documentaion, please!)
+1 Bullet Physics integration in Mogre (Forum topic "Mogre and BulletSharp", BulletSharp project)

We are actively developping a custom C# visualization framework based on Mogre, my group will test any new feature with great pleasure!

Keep up the good work,

best regards to you all