[Physx] Controller Capsule <> Shape Capsule

Tubulii

05-01-2012 14:03:36

I am trying to integrate Physx into my small project but the character controller is very ... uncooperative:

The "usual way" to build a capsule:

Radius = e.g. 25
Height = EntityBoundingBoxHeight - Radius*2 (e.g. 90 - 25*2 = 40)

Character controller with same values (and skinWidth=0, StepOffset=0) and same position (with 50 offset), but the shape is different. This would be no problem if I know how to include this in my calculations...

The character capsule is smaller and floats over the ground, but again the input values are the same...

DirtyHippy

07-01-2012 18:33:33

This is a common question on the Physx forums and one that I never really seemed to find an answer for. There is a nagging feeling in my head that I am just doing something wrong - but many other people complain about this as well. In my game I had to specify a Y offset on the character's mesh in order to align it with the capsule.

*shrug*

Tubulii

07-01-2012 19:26:02

This is a common question on the Physx forums and one that I never really seemed to find an answer for.
Yes,... you are right. I will post it in the physx forum.
There is a nagging feeling in my head that I am just doing something wrong - but many other people complain about this as well. In my game I had to specify a Y offset on the character's mesh in order to align it with the capsule.
More or mess this is my approach, too. Until now it is quite magical for me how Physx calculate the controller capsule...