Ogre vs Torque3d

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Tony Richards
Halfling

Re: Ogre vs Torque3d

Post by Tony Richards »

I don't know if they ever got multiple UV's in.
They did... they support 2 UV's now in T3D, but I'm not sure if the second one can be used for anything or if it can only be used for lightmaps.

Didn't make sense to me though... going from 1 to 2 is just about as difficult as going from 1 to n.
Image IndieZen.org - Open source game development tools, game engine, and MMO frameworks
_tommo_
Gnoll

Post by _tommo_ »

Tony Richards wrote:
I don't know if they ever got multiple UV's in.
They did... they support 2 UV's now in T3D, but I'm not sure if the second one can be used for anything or if it can only be used for lightmaps.

Didn't make sense to me though... going from 1 to 2 is just about as difficult as going from 1 to n.
Not if you hardcode the second one copying every instruction :wink:
OverMindGames Blog
IndieVault.it: Il nuovo portale italiano su Game Dev & Indie Games
Evak
Orc Shaman

Post by Evak »

Oh here you go, I found Ben Garneys GG blog which links to his main site.

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/15831

Regarding Atlas terrain and DTS triangle collisions..
I brute-forced it - every triangle as its own convex. Torque ran this approach like a champ as long as you didn’t feed it tiny triangles. Did the same trick again when it came time to write Atlas1 collision a few months later, but that wasn’t really “polysoup” in a meaningful way for anyone since it only imported heightfields.
This was some time ago before the new engine so I imagine things have changed since then.
kutraj
Halfling

Post by kutraj »

Well, just thought I'd add my thoughts too.

I've worked pretty deep with torque - TGE actually. I never had any reason to update to TGEA as I had hacked together my own shader framework and eventually merged it with another guy's work and finally released to the public before I left.

TGE's tools are just more than an eyewash, to be honest. There are a number of bugs that need to be circumvented. There is no definite art-pipeline at all. I'm a big fan of blender (in fact its the only modeling tool I can even remotely use) and it has no 'official' exporter. The only DTS exporter available was being developed by a TGE owner at the time.

With T3d, I believe they've gone the Collada way, which is pretty promising IMO.

I was a pretty big fan of TGE, given the fact that I had the source code to a really big engine, and decent (though half baked) reference documentation. But then, it seems to me (personally) that GG is more interested in continuously making profits out of their engines. TGEA soon made TGE obsolete, and T3D is well on its way to burying it. I personally, didnt like that. For a company that desires to cater to the independent developer, you'd atleast have a mention of TGE on your website (which they dont anymore). Granted, its based on technology thats 3 years old, but for someone who bought it just over a year ago (when TGEA, their then flagship product, was still a little unstable and didnt support OpenGL), this comes as a killer blow.

That was what put me off a little bit. But then, mileage may wary, and to answer the OP's question - well, please rephrase it. :P As everyone else here has said, you're comparing... lets say... Apples to orangutans? Or maybe something a little more mellowed down :D
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

kutraj wrote:Granted, its based on technology thats 3 years old
This is incorrect. The TGE engine is Tribes2 with the Tribes code stripped out. Later they bolted on John Carmack's discarded OpenGL implementation as the renderer. As of 2006 (when last I used it) this was the state-of-the-art in TGE: at the time, a 6-year-old last-gen engine with rendering code suitable for Voodoo cards, but not modern GPUs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes_(series)
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
kutraj
Halfling

Post by kutraj »

Sorry, what I meant to say is that TGE 1.5 (which ended up being the last version of TGE) was 3 years old. You're right, the core tech is way older than that, but up until a year ago, they were pushing TGE as their flagship product (because it was the only Torque engine that supported OpenGL at the time, and was 'proven'). Now all, of a sudden, their 'time-tested and well established' product has become totally obsolete.

Speaking from a neutral standpoint, the technology was obsolete in the first place. IIRC, they started the Torque Shader Engine, (then rechristened it TGEA) immediately after TGE 1.5's release. To market something as 'well-established' when it was already pretty old, doesn't sound right to me, though it might make business sense and help boost your sales.

It might sound like a crib, but...well... its just my 2 cents, you know. :D
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

No, GG has always been first, about collecting fees, and (a distant) second, about making those fees worth paying.

Luckily, their low-$$$ indie niche is rapidly being filled by opportunists that are hungry enough to do it right (see NeoAxis and StemCell engines, both Ogre-based).
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.