Dependencies for OGRE 1.7/1.8 [Last updated: 19 Aug 2012]

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Dependencies for OGRE 1.7 (Now with support for VS 2010)

Post by Assaf Raman »

Added GLES 2 emulation on windows dependencies to the first post.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
noorus
Halfling

Post by noorus »

Will 1.8 maybe move to Cg 3?
There's ois 1.3 too.
Creator of Nice Input Library, for your advanced input needs.
sleo
Gremlin

Post by sleo »

Yeah, as lifetime goes almost all libraries updates in open source world, for free, what's why I like it :)

Going to Cg 3.0 is harder, other are easy. Everything will be made for 1.8.0 release.

By the way, my Visual Studio mentioned that AMD APP SDK updated too 2.5 :)
CABAListic
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by CABAListic »

Why is going to Cg 3 harder? Ogre compiles fine against it, far as I remember. So just swap it out if you like to.
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

noorus wrote:Will 1.8 maybe move to Cg 3?
There's ois 1.3 too.
I just wanted to post this, so +1.
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
FlorianGeorge
Halfling

Post by FlorianGeorge »

amirabiri wrote:Regarding the librarian tool bug and linking against the wrong debug/release versions -

This is now 6 months after the original discussion, so I guess Microsoft worked on this a bit or maybe Visual C++ 2010 Express differs in its behaviour.

Either way the behaviour I was getting was slightly different: adding and removing the dependencies did not help. I was also not able to switch off the librarian tool and link manually (if anyone can teach me how to do that - there is a free pint of beer with your name on it!).

Anyway, in my case the librarian tool IGNORED the configuration currently being compiled (i.e in batch build) and only used the currently selected configuration.

In other words if I batch compile all debug and all release configurations, but I have "debug" selected in the solution configuration dropdown in the toolbar - the librarian tool used only the "debug" version of all dependencies. Silly.

The solution is very simple: only batch build the configurations that match the currently selected solution configuration. i.e choose "debug" from the dropdown, batch build the debug versions, then switch to "release" and batch build the release versions.

Hope this helps someone out there.
Yes, that is the same behavior and workaround I am observing.

Dealing with the _ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL issue:

Ogre 1.7.3 and OgreDependencies_MSVC_20101231:

Start e.g. Notepad++
Search for "ProjectReference" in *.vcxproj in Dependencies\src
Remove each <ItemGroup>...</ItemGroup> section that contains "ProjectReference Include=" lines, but before removing, note down the dependencies
Example for OgreDependencies_MSVC_20101231:
freeimageLib -> libjpeg, libmng, libopenjpeg, libpng, librawlite, libtiff, openexr, zlib.freeimage
zzlib -> zlib (not .freeimage)
So this changed FreeImageLib.2010.vcxproj and zzliblib.2010.vcxproj
Open OgreDependencies.VS2010.sln
Manuall re-enter the Dependencies in the GUI
Batch Compile -> All, should only result in re-linking of zzlib and freeimagelib

Open Ogre.sln
Batch Compile -> All
Get LNK2019 Linker errors because libs didn't get auto-linked.
Now the first reaction would go to "Properties->Common properties->Framework and References" as mentioned in
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... bf3ff23ceb
and
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... 3ee15a208e
But you can't do that because that would re-introduce the _ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL errors we just fixed.

So instead, you have to go the manual way.
Add the following lines to all Projects that are linked. The exact projects differ depending on whether ogre is being linked dynamically or statically.
In my case, compiling Ogre Statically, I have to change OgreMeshUpgrager, OgreXMLConverter and SampleBrowser. For Dynamically you might only have to edit OgreMain, but not 100% sure about that.
Debug:
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibJPEG\Debug\LibJPEG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibMNG\Debug\libMNG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibOpenJPEG\Debug\LibOpenJPEG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibPNG\Debug\LibPNG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibRawLite\Debug\LibRawLite.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibTIFF\Debug\LibTIFF.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\OpenEXR\Debug\OpenEXR.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\ZLib\Debug\ZLib.lib
Release:
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibJPEG\Release\LibJPEG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibMNG\Release\libMNG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibOpenJPEG\Release\LibOpenJPEG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibPNG\Release\LibPNG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibRawLite\Release\LibRawLite.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibTIFF\Release\LibTIFF.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\OpenEXR\Release\OpenEXR.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\ZLib\Release\ZLib.lib

So that last step is something that would have to be changed in the Ogre CMake files, which I am not good at, and also it's of course awkward this has to be done only for VS2010.

Ogre 1.8.0 RC and CABAListic's Dependencies Mercurial:

The _ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL issue is somewhat solved in CABAListic's Dependencies Mercurial as his CMake creates a FreeImage.vcxproj that has all the .h and .cpp files of the subprojects mashed into a single FreeImage(d).lib instead of being split up.

The 1.8.0 RC CMake scripts don't correctly find the Dependencies built from CABAListic's Dependencies Mercurial on first try, I had to copy the libs from Dependencies\build\src\... to Dependencies\lib\Debug and Dependencies\lib\Release, and the Dependencies\build\bin Directory to the Dependencies\src\bin (that's even different from the 1.7.3 scripts somehow, they don't find them in Dependencies\bin) directory in order for the scripts to find the files. And although you need to have those files compiled for the scripts to find the libraries, the new Ogre CMake scripts will recompile them again.
Attachments
OgreDependencies_MSVC_20101231 update.zip
Changed sln and vcxproj files
(8.15 KiB) Downloaded 30813 times
mar1985
Gnoblar

Post by mar1985 »

Hello,

I have read thid thread but it was difficult for me to understand these details because I am beginner!
My question is: What is the difference between this dependencies and the source? Is it necessary to install it?

Thanks.
mar1985
Gnoblar

Re: New Dependencies for OGRE 1.7

Post by mar1985 »

Assaf Raman wrote:When I link OgreMain in debug mode with 2010 - I get linkage errors for all the free image dependencies.
No clue why this happen...
Please I have the same errors! how can I solve it? you said that you have updated files! where can I find them? thanks a lot!
angusmcm
Gnoblar

Post by angusmcm »

Edited!

Anyone having a problem with dxguid.lib not being found when compiling the VS2010 dependencies (and possibly the older versions too), here the reason/fix:

You forgot to add a backslash to your DXSDK_DIR environment variable path. When installing the DirectX SDK that environment variable should get created in any case (as system variable). If you create it manually (as user variable) this will overwrite the system variable. Anyway, the SDK creates an entry with trailing backslash, whereas those experiencing the problem in all likelihood simply forgot to add that trailing backslash. The VS2010 settings expect the path to end with a backslash.

So either remove your user environment variable so that the one created by the installation of the DirectX SDK will not get overwritten and can do its work. Or, if still problems exist, explicitly set it including that darn backslash.
MKissee
Gnoblar

Post by MKissee »

So instead, you have to go the manual way.
Add the following lines to all Projects that are linked. The exact projects differ depending on whether ogre is being linked dynamically or statically.
In my case, compiling Ogre Statically, I have to change OgreMeshUpgrager, OgreXMLConverter and SampleBrowser. For Dynamically you might only have to edit OgreMain, but not 100% sure about that.
Debug:
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibJPEG\Debug\LibJPEG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibMNG\Debug\libMNG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibOpenJPEG\Debug\LibOpenJPEG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibPNG\Debug\LibPNG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibRawLite\Debug\LibRawLite.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibTIFF\Debug\LibTIFF.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\OpenEXR\Debug\OpenEXR.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\ZLib\Debug\ZLib.lib
Release:
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibJPEG\Release\LibJPEG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibMNG\Release\libMNG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibOpenJPEG\Release\LibOpenJPEG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibPNG\Release\LibPNG.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibRawLite\Release\LibRawLite.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\LibTIFF\Release\LibTIFF.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\OpenEXR\Release\OpenEXR.lib
..\..\..\Dependencies\src\FreeImage-3.13.1\Source\ZLib\Release\ZLib.lib

So that last step is something that would have to be changed in the Ogre CMake files, which I am not good at, and also it's of course awkward this has to be done only for VS2010.
can anybody put this plainer? i hate to seem so stupid on my first post but i have been trying to build literally for days straight and this ITERATOR_DEBUG issue is downright killing me

i tried to follow along these steps but i have exactly zero experience editing solution files by hand and it all looks like kanji script to my uneducated eyes :/

also please do go easy this is my first post and i am by no means an expert coder
FlorianGeorge
Halfling

Post by FlorianGeorge »

MKissee wrote:can anybody put this plainer? i hate to seem so stupid on my first post but i have been trying to build literally for days straight and this ITERATOR_DEBUG issue is downright killing me

i tried to follow along these steps but i have exactly zero experience editing solution files by hand and it all looks like kanji script to my uneducated eyes :/

also please do go easy this is my first post and i am by no means an expert coder
well this issue is quite unfair to run into when you are inexperienced, thanks to the good people at microsoft who refuse to fix it despite being known for years. and don't think about switching to Visual Studio 11 in order to dodge it, they like it so much, they kept it.

my ugly solution was made so I could still go to Batch Build -> Build All, but here's one that may be simpler:
Transporter wrote:
FlorianGeorge wrote:That's a bug in VS2010 and VS2011, I'm not sure if it will ever be fixed despite being close to a blocking issue, but there are (painful) workarounds: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 14#p448214
I use the easy way:
  1. Build the full FreeImage packet on Debug|Win32
  2. Build the full FreeImage packet on Debug|x64
  3. Switch actual configuration to Release|Win32
  4. Save the project map and close VS
  5. Delete all temporary folders of the project
  6. Start VS and load FreeImage project
  7. Build the full FreeImage packet on Release|Win32
  8. Build the full FreeImage packet on Release|x64
This is working for me. I'll release my shapshot later in a new thread, so if you like you can use my files.
This works. But you *might* have to build this way every single of your VS2010/11 projects, which gets tiring, and easy to forget to do sometimes.

There is also a different strategy that's being used, which puts all the Dependencies into the Ogre.sln solution, I think the Ogre 1.8.0 CMake file will do that if you have set up your dependencies correctly. That way, everything will get compiled within the same solution, which also makes the issue (at least while building Ogre) go away.
MKissee
Gnoblar

Post by MKissee »

thanks a lot for the help i think i am going to give 1.8.0 a try
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

FlorianGeorge wrote:This works. But you *might* have to build this way every single of your VS2010/11 projects, which gets tiring, and easy to forget to do sometimes.
No, you only have to build FreeImage with this painful method. And you don't have to rebuild it every day. This bug is a problem of auto linking in VS between the main FreeImage project and the sub libraries (LibJPEG, LibPNG, LibTIFF, ZLib, ...). You only have to link to freeimage.lib, all other libraries will be linked automatic. This is not working correctly! If you like to do batch builds create a new project with the FreeImage sub projects without auto linking. Of course you have to link ogre to the results by hand (or you have to change the cmake files).

For example building with a batch script is not working, too:

Code: Select all

devenv FreeImage.2010.sln /build "Debug|Win32" /Project FreeImageLib
devenv FreeImage.2010.sln /build "Release|Win32" /Project FreeImageLib
devenv FreeImage.2010.sln /build "Debug|x64" /Project FreeImageLib
devenv FreeImage.2010.sln /build "Release|x64" /Project FreeImageLib
But this batch method is working for all other projects around ogre. I have to build FreeImage by hand, but all other dependencies, boost and ogre will be build by a batch script with two clicks (I build x86 and amd64 parallel). Have a look at http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69274
FlorianGeorge
Halfling

Post by FlorianGeorge »

For reference, here are a few of the Bugreports regarding the _ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL issue:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStu ... figuration (April 30th 2010 - May 5th 2010)
May 5th 2010:
We have a fix which we anticipate shipping in a future release of Visual Studio.
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStud ... d-projects (April 30th 2010 - Present)
June 9th 2010:
It is unfortunate, but Batch Build is currently broken.
June 22nd 2010:
Unfortunatley we did not have time during the previous cycle to address the issues with Batch Build. These issues have existed in Batch Build for some time. But, they are not a very popular feature, nor have they worked. Therefore it was decided that we should spend our time on other features that were critical to the success of the release and other teams that were delivering during the release.
I hope that during a future cycle we will be able to take a look at this feature and either provide a fix for the broken behavior, or remove the feature from the product since it does not work. I am resolving this issue as "Won't Fix", since at this time, all I can offer are work-arounds for what is known broken behavior.
March 26th 2012:
Thank you for all the feedback and reports of what's wrong with the feature. We are looking into what we can do in VS11 about Batch Build.
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStu ... figuration (May 23rd 2012 - Present)
June 6th 2012:
Hi there, we did find one other issue in post RC bits using your projects, and determined it was specific to them. Below is what the developer found (Using square brackets for angle brackets here):
========
For example, in "FreeImageLib.2010.vcxproj", "ObjectFileName" is configured to be a fixed path, thus building that project under "x64" or "win32" will always write to the same .obj files. Obviously that will confuse the build engine, and that’s why the .obj files generated under "win32" are used to link "x64" library.
<ItemDefinitionGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Debug|Win32'">
<ClCompile>
<AssemblerListingLocation>.\Debug/</AssemblerListingLocation>
<ObjectFileName>.\Debug/</ObjectFileName>
<ProgramDataBaseFileName>.\Debug/</ProgramDataBaseFileName>
</ClCompile>
</ItemDefinitionGroup>
<ItemDefinitionGroup Condition="'$(Configuration)|$(Platform)'=='Debug|x64'">
<ClCompile>
<AssemblerListingLocation>.\Debug/</AssemblerListingLocation>
<ObjectFileName>.\Debug/</ObjectFileName>
<ProgramDataBaseFileName>.\Debug/</ProgramDataBaseFileName>
</ClCompile>
</ItemDefinitionGroup>

The fix is to remove those above properties from the project files, to use the default value. The default value is $(IntDir) which is equal to"$(Platform)\$(Configuration)\" under "x64", so the .obj files are isolated. Note the other related settings (i.e. PrecompiledHeaderOutputFile) need to be updated accordingly. Don't know why dev10's lib.exe doesn't complain, but it sounds correct to report an error.
=========

Hope this helps,
Dan
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStud ... d-projects
June 12th 2012:
Thanks for your feedback. We have made fixes in VS 2012 RTM for Batch Build. Once VS 2012 RTM releases, please try it and let us know if this issue still exists.
PhilipLB
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by PhilipLB »

I freshly cloned the Dependencies repo today and had some strange errors:
It created a freetype_d.lib but the generated Ogre.sln searched for freetype2311_d.lib (freetype.lib -> freetype2311.lib accordingly).
Also I had to rename those libs to zlibd.lib, zziplibd.lib and FreeImaged.lib.

I also had to copy the cg.lib from my CG SDK folder to the dependencies lib dir.

Anyone knowing what was going on? Feels a bit wrong to just rename the libs...
Google Summer of Code 2012 Student
Topic: "Volume Rendering with LOD aimed at terrain"
Project links: Project thread, WIKI page, Code fork for the project
Mentor: Mattan Furst

Volume GFX, accepting donations.
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

PhilipLB wrote:I also had to copy the cg.lib from my CG SDK folder to the dependencies lib dir.

Anyone knowing what was going on? Feels a bit wrong to just rename the libs...
The sources and the build system is outdated. If you get the current dependencies sources from their websites you'll create correct file names out of the box. You can check out my post http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69274 for new dependencies.
jokoon
Goblin

Post by jokoon »

are the mac dependencies up to date ? isn't 10.4 a little old ? (using xcode 4.4 on mountain lion with ogre 1.7.4 or 1.8)
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Updated windows dependencies in the first post to the latest Cg.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
FlorianGeorge
Halfling

Post by FlorianGeorge »

Seems like the promise held true, no more _ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL issues in Visual Studio 2012 RTM, just compiled Ogre with the old old Dependencies from 31 Dec 2010 that were in a seperate solution (the new ones from the repo were put directly into Ogre.sln which had solved the issue for VS2010 and pre-RTM VS2012 versions).
lucky7456969
Gremlin

Post by lucky7456969 »

Sorry, didn't have time to read thru all the postings.

[Translated]
error C2061: Semantics error: '__RPC__out_xcount_part' C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\include\objidl.h 11280 1 OIS

I build my other projects without problems.
Just this.
I try to solve this by putting the DirectX and boost include files in public settings and in front of everybody to no avail
thanks
Jack
prchakal
Halfling

Post by prchakal »

Do you have to Ogre3D 1.8.1 for Mac ?
boyamer
Orc

Re: Dependencies for OGRE 1.7/1.8 [Last updated: 19 Aug 2012

Post by boyamer »

I think would be great to add support for VS 2012 here too as its out for while.
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

You can use CMake to create a VS2012 projects, so it is supported.
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

I meant VS 2012 dependencies not cmake.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

As he said, dependencies can be built in VS2012 (i'm doing it) by generating the VS 2012 projects using CMake.