Dependencies for OGRE 1.7/1.8 [Last updated: 19 Aug 2012]

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: Dependencies for OGRE 1.7 (Now with support for VS 2010)

Post by jacmoe »

Klaim wrote:So, I'll try on my repo to fix this if someone more at ease with CMake don't do it before.
The thing I fear is, was it the same problem for previous DXSDK releases? If yes, then the fix will fix it for everyone, but if not I'm not sure how to do this correctly...
Could you check this first ? ->
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 25#p399713
I had a similar issue a while back.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Ok this patch seem to work for me:

Code: Select all

diff --git a/src/ois/CMakeLists.txt b/src/ois/CMakeLists.txt
--- a/src/ois/CMakeLists.txt
+++ b/src/ois/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -50,9 +50,21 @@
     src/win32/extras/WiiMote/OISWiiMoteRingBuffer.cpp
     src/win32/extras/WiiMote/wiimote.cpp
   )
+  
   # need DirectX includes and libraries
   include_directories($ENV{DXSDK_DIR}include)
+  # DirectX lib files are in x86 or x64 folder, look in the correct one
+  set( DXSDK_LIB_DIR $ENV{DXSDK_DIR}"/Lib" )
+  if( OIS_PLATFORM EQUAL win32 )
+    link_directories( ${DXSDK_LIB_DIR}"/x86" )
+  else( OIS_PLATFORM EQUAL win64 ) 
+	link_directories( ${DXSDK_LIB_DIR}"/x64" )
+  elseif()
+	MESSAGE( "Unknown platform : not x86 nor x64 ! OIS Platform = " ${OIS_PLATFORM} )
+  endif()
+  
   set(OIS_PLATFORM_LIBS dinput8 dxguid)
+  
 elseif (APPLE)
   set(OIS_PLATFORM_HEADERS
     includes/mac/MacHelpers.h
However, I think that maybe replacing OIS_PLATFORM by "CMAKE_SIZEOF_VOID_P EQUALS 4" to check the platform (x64 or x86) might be more correct, I'm not sure because I don't know if it's the hardware bits or the user's settings or something.

Now I remarked that OIS seem to be planned to be compiled only in 32 bits. I didn't try but by looking at the cmake files I see that if I try to generate 64 bit project it might fail.

edit> jacmoe, thanks that's seem to be a better patch, I'll take this :D

edit 2> Wait, I think a mix of ours might be even beter...
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Hmmm I think our both solutions are wrong. CMAKE_CL_64 is used only if CL the visual studio compiler is available. What if I don't use Visual Studio (I do but I'm thinking in general).

Is there another constant that might be useful in our case? I have hard time to find a list of CMake constants...

edit> Ok I've read the Cabalistic message, I guess he didn't find time to get the modification in the repo. I'll setup another patch, my patch is a bit wrong.
CABAListic
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by CABAListic »

Wait, what? This has been changed for months; the repo version looks for DirectX properly via a CMake module, thereby linking dxguid with full path.

https://bitbucket.org/cabalistic/ogrede ... 828e479055
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Wow that's strange, I just checked my repo and I got this change in the tree, so it should work. However I got the current tip (6d4c1ba6f5fd) and it don't seem to be fixed... (my first attempt was already with an up to date repo).

Here is what I did to fix it, but I guess it's not general enough yet?

diff --git a/src/ois/CMakeLists.txt b/src/ois/CMakeLists.txt
--- a/src/ois/CMakeLists.txt
+++ b/src/ois/CMakeLists.txt
@@ -50,9 +50,19 @@
     src/win32/extras/WiiMote/OISWiiMoteRingBuffer.cpp
     src/win32/extras/WiiMote/wiimote.cpp
   )
+  
   # need DirectX includes and libraries
   include_directories($ENV{DXSDK_DIR}include)
+  # DirectX lib files are in x86 or x64 folder, look in the correct one
+  set( DXSDK_LIB_DIR $ENV{DXSDK_DIR}"/Lib" )
+  if( OGREDEPS_PLATFORM_X64 )
+	link_directories( ${DXSDK_LIB_DIR}"/x64" )
+  else()
+    link_directories( ${DXSDK_LIB_DIR}"/x86" )
+  endif()
+  
   set(OIS_PLATFORM_LIBS dinput8 dxguid)
+  
 elseif (APPLE)
   set(OIS_PLATFORM_HEADERS
     includes/mac/MacHelpers.h

Cabalistic, maybe your fix don't cover all cases or something? Maybe because of the last DX SDK?
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Ok I think I understand what happened. The problem is that I first used cmake (with a previous dx install) got errors, checked here then installed the last dxsdk.

CMake doesn't detect the change of environnement variable so it didn't re-try to FindDirectX folders and used old/wrong but still there folder adresses.

To be sure, I just removed all my repo (and my changes) but the .hg, updated (to the last change) tried to build and succeed.

Sorry ^^;

But it's a bit tricky : if I update DX I'll have to rememeber to remove all CMake cache files and regenerate everything. Isn't there a way to make sure CMake retry to execute some scripts when an environnement variable changed?

edit> I'll remove my previous DX sdk, I think that help too to detect that the folder isn't there anymore.
CABAListic
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by CABAListic »

Some of my CMake Find* scripts already reset the search if environment variables change, the DirectX script is an exception, though.

However, your change is clearly against an older version of the file. The current revision does not have $ENV{DXSDK_DIR} in it.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

That's correct, I don't know what happened exactly.
Maybe I just didn't "update" the repo after pulling. I really have to do that automatically :P I always forget.

Sorry again v__v;
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Just a last question : once everything is compiled, you're supposed to move the binaries and headers manually in the Ogre Dependencies folder, or did I miss something? I see the Ogre Dependencies folder isn't organized the same way I get the binaries and other files when I make full compilations from CMake + VS2010.
Is there a script to take those files and setup a ready to use directory? Or is it missing?
CABAListic
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by CABAListic »

Use the INSTALL target, that should set everything up just fine.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Ok I did use it, thinking it should be done this way, but didn't see I got some errors. I think my installation dir isn't setup correctly. Thanks!
amirabiri
Gnoblar

Post by amirabiri »

Regarding the librarian tool bug and linking against the wrong debug/release versions -

This is now 6 months after the original discussion, so I guess Microsoft worked on this a bit or maybe Visual C++ 2010 Express differs in its behaviour.

Either way the behaviour I was getting was slightly different: adding and removing the dependencies did not help. I was also not able to switch off the librarian tool and link manually (if anyone can teach me how to do that - there is a free pint of beer with your name on it!).

Anyway, in my case the librarian tool IGNORED the configuration currently being compiled (i.e in batch build) and only used the currently selected configuration.

In other words if I batch compile all debug and all release configurations, but I have "debug" selected in the solution configuration dropdown in the toolbar - the librarian tool used only the "debug" version of all dependencies. Silly.

The solution is very simple: only batch build the configurations that match the currently selected solution configuration. i.e choose "debug" from the dropdown, batch build the debug versions, then switch to "release" and batch build the release versions.

Hope this helps someone out there.
dgedge_ogre
Gnoblar

Post by dgedge_ogre »

Hello all,

I'm newbie for installing Ogre, and I would notice some details in order to compile Ogre SRC on windows (for other newbies like me...) :
* When you compile dependencies make sure that DXSDK_INCLUDE and DXSDK_LIB are in your environnement variables (else download the last version of directX SDK) -> else it cause an error in OIS project (see include and lib properties to correct the path of DXSDK; and for the precompiled Ogre it cause a error message witch tell that missed a .dll).
* When you launch CMake and configure (set the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to the directory where you want to have your lib / include / bin ... of Ogre), by default it is in your build directory. Click on Advanced checkbox to see others options (to allowed boost / stlPort...)
* When you compile (F7) Ogre.sln -> don't forget to build the project INSTALL (this will copy all your build in the directory you have specified above)

bye,

Jerome
edoardo
Kobold

Post by edoardo »

Hi to everybody,

I'm new to Ogre and first of all I wanted to compliment with you for your work!
Anyway, I'm here because I tryied to compile the dependencies for Ogre in Visual Studio 2010, and I can't do it for the OIS project (I think it's DirectX related, but I installed the DirectX SDK and I've got the correct DXSDK_DIR enviroment variable on my system, I also double checked it and it expands correctly - and yes, I restarted VS 2010 and even rebooted the system to be sure). I read previous post, so I checked also to have DXSDK_LIB (pointing to "%DXSDK_DIR%\Lib\x86") and DXSDK_INCLUDE (pointing to "%DXSDK_DIR%\Include"), but it doesn't happen anything different even with these vars.
I used the repository under "https://bitbucket.org/cabalistic/ogredeps", but I haven't got any better luck with the here mentioned pre-produced VS projects, so I'll report my situation from the mentioned .hg repository cloned in my working dir.

After generating the projects with CMake [2.8.4] following the canonical steps, Coinfigure + Configure + Generate, I opened the just created solution called Project.sln and compiled in Debug configuration, optaining the following messages:

1>------ Build started: Project: OIS, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>     Creating library D:/Documents/OpenSource Projects/Ogre 3D/ogredeps/projects/ois/Debug/OIS_d.lib and object D:/Documents/OpenSource Projects/Ogre 3D/ogredeps/projects/ois/Debug/OIS_d.exp
1>Win32ForceFeedback.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_ConstantForce
1>Win32ForceFeedback.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_RampForce
1>Win32ForceFeedback.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_SawtoothDown
1>Win32ForceFeedback.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_SawtoothUp
1>Win32ForceFeedback.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_Sine
1>Win32ForceFeedback.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_Triangle
1>Win32ForceFeedback.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_Square
1>Win32ForceFeedback.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_Spring
1>Win32ForceFeedback.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_Inertia
1>Win32ForceFeedback.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_Damper
1>Win32ForceFeedback.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_Friction
1>Win32ForceFeedback.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_CustomForce
1>Win32InputManager.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _DirectInput8Create@20 referenced in function "public: virtual void __thiscall OIS::Win32InputManager::_initialize(class std::multimap<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >,struct std::less<classstd::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > >,class std::allocator<struct std::pair<class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const ,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > > > > &)" (?_initialize@Win32InputManager@OIS@@UAEXAAV?$multimap@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@V12@U?$less@V?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@2@V?$allocator@U?$pair@$$CBV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@V12@@std@@@2@@std@@@Z)
1>Win32InputManager.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectInput8A
1>Win32JoyStick.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _c_dfDIJoystick2
1>Win32JoyStick.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_Slider
1>Win32KeyBoard.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _c_dfDIKeyboard
1>Win32KeyBoard.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_SysKeyboard
1>Win32Mouse.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _c_dfDIMouse2
1>Win32Mouse.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_SysMouse
1>\bin\Debug\OIS_d.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 20 unresolved externals
I use Windows 7 @ 32bit, Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate (from work) - all the other projects are OK (only some warnings for CRT functions usage, no problem).

The point here is that I can't understand what's going on because for my little understading these symbols are somewhat from dinput8.lib but I can't see it included in the VS project...
I tryed to explicitly add it to the project (dinput8.lib), but the situation get even worst!

So I was wrong, where are defined these missing symbols? Why they start with an underscore? What am I missing here?

Thank you very much in advance for the kind support and help

Edoardo
Last edited by edoardo on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Try using an older version of dx sdk.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
edoardo
Kobold

Post by edoardo »

Nope, I now have DirectX SDK April 2007 but the problem remains.
Thank you for your reply though.

Anyone could be more technical? Thank you in advance
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Try opening the vs2008 solution in 2010, then to compile that.
edoardo
Kobold

Post by edoardo »

Nope, I have the very same problem.

Also with VS 2005, compiling directly from VS 2005 (but in this case it can't even find "directinput.h", so after manually adding to C++ include path the "$(DXSDK_DIR)\Include" and to the linker path "$(DXSDK_DIR)\Lib\x86" I got the very same error list that I've got on Visual Studio 2010).

So I think it's really related with the DirectX SDK, but I don't know what to check nor how to do it.

Thank you for the help in advance
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Lets go back to the 2005 issue - if DXSDK_DIR is setup - how didn't it find the included file?
edoardo
Kobold

Post by edoardo »

No man, it wasn't setted by CMake (evidently there's a lack of configuration or bug for VS2005 CMake section).
After I added manually the include path "$(DXSDK_DIR)\Include" (that MUST be expanded to be set, so it's a valid environment variable!) and "$(DXSDK_DIR)\Lib\x86" it worked with the same errors. It isn't an environment variable problem, I assure you.

In fact, now I examinated where the hell came from the "dinput.h" and I see it comes from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Include"!!

It turns out someone installed the Windows SDK on this machine and now it's a mess (it doesn't result installed from the Control Panel, but it's there); I'll try to throw it in the trash and re-install Visual studio 2010 (that should create a subdirectory ".../VC/PlatformSDK/" that was missing now, because it founded the Windows SDK dir at installation time).

I'll keep you posted with the result of the re-install & recompilation, thank you anyway for the help!
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Just to be clear - the dependencies solution compiles and link but the sample browser doesn't?
syedhs
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by syedhs »

Did you actually removed dxguid.lib from linker setting because VS2005 complained it was corrupted? Then there is a patch for VS2005.
A willow deeply scarred, somebody's broken heart
And a washed-out dream
They follow the pattern of the wind, ya' see
Cause they got no place to be
That's why I'm starting with me
edoardo
Kobold

Post by edoardo »

Ok, now I verified the Windows SDK was actually removed and it's Visual Studio 2010 that creates the directory "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\" when I install it (as I mentioned before, before the reinstallation i throwed the folder in the trash, but after the VS 2010 installation it was again there! So I can surely blame VS2010 for its creation).

Now I don't know what to do: evidently there's something that doesn't match between the "dinput.h" declarations and libraries linked afterward, but I don't know how to resolve the thing... if someone of you try to compile with the free version of VS 2010 ("Express edition" I think it's called), where does it take the dinput.h (included by "Win32Prereqs.h") file from? And what about objidl.h (included by dinput.h)?
To control the path of your files, it suffice that from VS2010 you press right mouse on the include line (at the beginning of "Win32Prereqs.h") and select "Open Document": then you leave for a sec or two the mouse pointer on the newly opened tab and it will text-tool tip with the absolute file path (the origin of the file on disk).
For me, it takes both files from "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\" by default, while I expected it would take them from "$(DXSDK_DIR)\Include".

If I force it to take "dinput.h" from DXSDK_DIR (including it in the include path as stated in the above line) I've got a series of errors like the following "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\include\objidl.h(11280): error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__out_xcount_part'"; that's because the 2 files doesn't match (the first - "dinput.h" - is relative to DirectX SDK and the second - "objidl.h" - is from Windows 7 SDK, the one installed by VS2010 in my "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\").
I found this article http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... 308775e4b/ online, but it's not my case because I haven't the Windows SDK installed on my system...

Please someone let me know where your VS2010 takes the above mentioned files... because now it's more clear why it doesn't work, but I don't know how to match the two files.. apparently objidl.h should be shipped with DirectX SDK but I can't find it, neither in DXSDK April 2007 nor June 2010.

Thank you in advance!

Note: I'm not trying to compile Ogre yet, for now I'd like to compile the "Dependencies" only and, as I stated in my first post, I'm using the VS2010 projects that I personally built with CMake starting from the official Mercurial repository under "https://bitbucket.org/cabalistic/ogredeps", as linked in the download source section of the Ogre site, regarding Dependencies.

@syedhs: I haven't removed nothing, and I wanto to use only VS2010, VS2005 was only a proof to verify that the problem wasn't related to VS2010 but was also present using other VS versions (so it's related to DirectX SDK).
edoardo
Kobold

Post by edoardo »

Hi to all, I solved the question!

First of all, I wasn't executing CMake from top directory ("ogredeps") as I should, but from "ogredeps/src" subdirectory: I was confused by the "Browse Source..." button (anyway I don't want to justify, it's my fault!) - so it won't recongnize the DirectX installation directory nor create the correct project name ("OGREDEPS.sln"; it create instead a "Project.sln"), because it didn't execute the FindDirectX.cmake script.
So my produced by CMake projects for Visual Studio 2010 were inevitably wrong!

Last, but not least, previously I switched to DirectX SDK (April 2007) that isn't compatible with DirectX SDK (June 2010), so I warn anyone to use only the latter (June 2010) with OIS on Windows 7 32bit!

The error that produced the wrong DirectX version (April 2007) compiled against Windows 7 SDK (which is installed by VS 2010 on a Windows 7 system), is the following (as I reported in my previous post):

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\include\objidl.h(11280): error C2061: syntax error : identifier '__RPC__out_xcount_part'
[...]
plus a series of others very similar.

I hope that these indications help some other newbie out there.

Thank you all for the help though!
:D
--
"Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, | ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza."
"You were not made to live your lives as brutes, | but to be followers of virtue and knowledge."
(Divina Commedia, Inferno, Canto XXVI, 119 – 120)
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

Happy it got sorted out.