Look! Some falling boxes!

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
dobbs
Gnoblar

Post by dobbs »

One weird thing, and I don't know if this is nogredex or novodex doing it, but if I apply a force equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to gravity... the object accelerates upwards??? I'm basically just doing NxActor::getMass() * NxScene::getGravity() and negating the y component.
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

How does this compare to ODE and Tokamak as far as API usage. I've used both ODE and Tokamak. I'd be curious to hear impressions on how easy it is to use.

Does it require a lot of tweaking?

It sounds like it is an excellent physics API as far as the results it produces.
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Ya, it looks cool but it costs money for commercial use, and I have no idea how much since they don't publicly show the license costs, whereas ODE and Tokamak are free. For example, the Unreal 3 engine is using Novodex.

That's what's keeping me from looking at Novodex, the cost.

Clay
rocketman
Kobold

Post by rocketman »

@dobbs: Interresting problem :?. I think I will have a look at this and see what happens...

@Falgard: I originally looked at Tokamak, but was completely frustrated by the "quirks", the absence of documentation and complete lack of feedback on the forums. I havent looked at ODE but have seen some harsh reviews of it compared to other physics APIs on some message boards, still lots of people are very happy with it. The Novodex licensing issues dont bother me as I am just a hobbiest game coder (like most others here I think) and just enjoy messing arround with this kind of stuff for the hell of it. Novodex gives me the chance to play with a commercial quality API, and I believe it is superior to other freely available physics APIs (cue flames ;)). Its biggest draw back is that it is only available on Windows.
Meddten
Halfling

Post by Meddten »

is only the non commercial version for windows and the commercial version for windows ,linux and mac

or are both commercial and non commercial version only for windows
Khalin
Gnoblar

Post by Khalin »

has anyone been able to compile and run this on ogre 0.15? I have been able to compile it, but when I try to run my compiled versions it quits at ogre's initialization explaining that it at runtime was requested to exit in an unusual way...

IMHO this is by far the most supperior physics engine out to date that is suitable for gametype environments. If you are not looking to sell your product just yet its definatly worth it =).
dobbs
Gnoblar

Post by dobbs »

Yes I had that problem at first, I think it was missing one of the .cfg or .dll files.
Khalin
Gnoblar

Post by Khalin »

I fixed it yesterday, made the big beginner mistake of forgetting to place the media folder in the right area.

I have been playing around with the code and I must say thank you rocketman for making it so easy to work with and still remain in the novodex sdk. Still trying to work out twisting limits though. Has anyone got twisting limits working yet? some working code would be great =)
chooikw
Kobold

Post by chooikw »

The source code link is broken,is there any mirrors?

By the way,does nogredex support trimesh?
Game programming is fun!
rocketman
Kobold

Post by rocketman »

@chooikw sorry that link is old, the nogredex.zip contains the source code as well
eZZy
Gnoblar

Post by eZZy »

how is this project going? is it already finished?
raygun
Gnoblar

Post by raygun »

eZZy wrote:how is this project going? is it already finished?
Yes, what's happening here?
bugshake
Greenskin

Post by bugshake »

Well raygun, thanks for reviving this post, I wouldn't have wanted to miss this great demo. Also, I heard someone suggesting demo's for Ogre and this seems to be a good one! Maybe it will also impress artists enough to make some nice graphics.

Amazing stuff.
Lamarr
Gnoblar

Post by Lamarr »

When I try to run any of the demos (from the precompiled binaries), all I get is a grid. The Ogre log has a line that says
Warning: material Material/null has no supportable Techniques on this hardware, it will be rendered blank.
I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, and this happens regardless of which driver I use. Is anyone else having this problem?

On a positive note, I'm getting good FPS. :wink:
bugshake
Greenskin

Post by bugshake »

Yeah, I had it too because I don't read the readme's either :lol:

Code: Select all

Move camera   - a, s, d, w, q, e
Rotate Camera - LMB + drag
Move object   - RMB + drag
throw ball    - space
change scene  - 1 to 8
reset         - 0
shadow toggle - LShift
show debug    - LCTRL
pause         - p
screenshot    - Print Screen
exit          - escape
Lamarr
Gnoblar

Post by Lamarr »

bugshake wrote:Yeah, I had it too because I don't read the readme's either :lol:
Thanks, bugshake, that fixed the problem. :roll:

Cool demos!

Gee, with my very first post, I managed to firmly establish myself as an idiot! :oops:
gfm
Gnoblar

Port to 1.0.1

Post by gfm »

I've ported Nogredex to Ogre 1.0.1 if anyone's interested, you can download it here:

http://users.cafwap.net/~roseblog/2005/ ... gre-1.html

I'd appreciate some peer review of this code. Please let me know if you have any feedback!