Possibility: Ogre + C#/.NET by Mono CXXI

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Possibility: Ogre + C#/.NET by Mono CXXI

Post by Beauty »

By usage of Mogre it's possible to create Ogre applications by use of .NET / C#.
Unfortunately it only supports Windows systems (because of C++/CLI wrapping technique).

Now we have got an interesting notice in the Mogre forum related to a new Mono feature.
By usage of this Mogre could run under Linux/MacOS, too.

Well, the new Mono feature is still in development.
Also the Mogre autowrapper would need modifications.

Nevertheless I wanted to tell the news here.
Maybe someone is interested in.

Here is the notice from our Mogre forum (link to topic):
Wololo wrote:Hello, the Mono team is working on CXXI, which lets managed code to interop easily with native C++ classes directly. With CXXI, it should be possible to create bindings to Ogre which work on Linux and many other operating systems, in the same way as C++/CLI makes it possible on Windows.

You can read more about it on http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2011/Dec-19.html

I'm sorry but personally I won't be able to work on it for now, but at least I wanted to let everybody know that Mogre has now the possibility to reach many more platforms if someone is willing to implement it. I think that Mogre working on Linux (and other platforms) would be greatly appreciated. I know that Axiom exists but I think that adapting Mogre to work with C++/CLI or CXXI depending on the current platform would be easier to implement than Axiom itself, thus making Mogre support more features faster since Ogre's native code is called from .NET instead of having to re-implement the entire Ogre as Axiom does.

Also, if someone has some experience with CXXI, it would be helpful if he could comment about the feasibility of such implementation.
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
hedphelym
Gremlin

Re: Possibility: Ogre + C#/.NET by Mono CXXI

Post by hedphelym »

This is good news, thank you for sharing this.

I'm not good enough to help on this particular issue, but I do use Mogre, and have always wanted to use it for linux too.
This seems like a very good option (finally).
I hope someone finds interest in this and help us on this.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

This actually is very nice, this would be a step forward to get a cross platform approach for .NET wish I had some time to actually try this out :(

From what I was reading as well on that page OGRE can be compiled as normal it might even work on the prebuilt sdk. Plugins also would get the same benefit as long as they release there headers :)

@Beauty
MOGRE wouldn't be updated to use this as this is a auto wrapper for any c++ dll which you have headers for so it would possible replace MOGRE and OgreDotNet as the main .NET binding.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Adding to the SDK part it may even be possible for the team to just include creation of the .NET dll with the prebuilt SDK

(Not yet though the tool isn't finished)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

Zonder wrote:this is a auto wrapper for any c++ dll which you have headers for
Sound very interesting. This would simplify a lot for the .NET world.
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.