MAYA2012 Ogre3D ViewportRenderer

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
UT2007
Kobold

MAYA2012 Ogre3D ViewportRenderer

Post by UT2007 »

Hi,

Work is still in progress.... possibility of this can be :

-use ogre3d to render your maya stuff
-realtime see of your mesh which will be exported to ogre3d
-map editor (currently my objective )

Work Done :
* Ogre3D Camera Synchronization with Maya camera

TO DO :
* Ogre3D entities browser and property panel (example : QT Ogitor) (Work in progress ...)
* Entity creation (so that you can place actors on the map and so on)
* OpenCollada format (so that every mesh on ogre3d can goes back as it is in maya and same for maya to ogre3d) (use of plunger for Ogre3D, external tool to export import ?)
* MAYA2012 to support Collada format (use of plunger for Ogre3D, external tool to export import ?)
* Implement Ptex as it will be in Autodesk Maya 2013 (http://ptex.us/overview.html)
* Save/Load functionality (ensure must be as near ogre3D way and generic as possible while supporting all what ogre3D offer)
Last edited by UT2007 on Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
UT2007
Kobold

Re: MAYA2012 Ogre3D ViewportRenderer

Post by UT2007 »

Hi,

New updates, the MAYA CAMERA syncronization functionnality with ogre3d camera is now done.

videl
Halfling

Post by videl »

No responses yet? This is a awesome project!

Think this could be very useful to have preview of a mesh before exporting it to the engine. A good way to find possible errors.
Are you planing to add support for custom shaders etc? How does the whole thing work?
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

Hi,

Nothing very precise except that the direction is for using as Map Editor, i was stuck for three days thinking the better approach to be able to handle the map object and entities. Finally found the real solution which will give full control that i should use my own window instead of relying on maya (OgreMax calling objects properties window, or Vue9Xtream window called from maya and creating stuff in maya), and also decided that for better compatibility and cross platform better to use Qt ui just like Ogitor we can say.

Likewise you have control in maya, if then you need to handle specific Ogre3D properties you call the window which will show all objects in the scene and you change their property, since maya 2012 has Qt for python dll's i guess it wont be a problem.

Downloading of Qt4 in progress, and going to do programming .... news will come soon. After this next is collada support because i want Maya to import in real time the Ogre3D entities mesh and show them so that you can have realtime visual result of objects just like if you were using Ogre3D renderer viewport.

Regards
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

Hi,

Two days lost (precisely two evening of working time) for downloading and others, but at last setup done and first try done.

Now back to work, lets continue develop .....

Window called directly from the plugin, i like the way the QT Window automatically take the Autodesk Maya2012 visual style :mrgreen:

Regards
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Seriously great work UT2007! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
duststorm
Minaton

Post by duststorm »

A shame I missed this the first time!
Really really nice. It's kind of like the live preview of the unofficial Ogre exporter for blender 2.5/2.6 but more integrated :)
Developer @ MakeHuman.org
thebluefish
Gremlin

Post by thebluefish »

Very nice work! Almost makes me wish I had Maya in my development toolchain instead of 3DS Max. Are you ever considering making a version for Max?
During the code inspection, a couple of minor points were noticed: -

Function inlining was critical to performance.
For MSVC, at least, a "delete 0" caused execution of 11 assembly instructions, including a function call. So in cases where performance is at an absolute premium it can be worth inserting the extra manual test.
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

Hi,

Surely i will, Maya and 3DSMax is like finger of the same hand, very near and complementary .... once something stable or beta is released, the same will be compiled using 3DSMax API ..... that is a small issue for now i focus on the core software, afterwards we can manage to compile for other software.

Regards
Lee04
Minaton

Post by Lee04 »

Hi

Very nice work.

There have been simular efforts. However the previous projects didn't open source the code.

Regards

Lee
Ph.D. student in game development
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

I will spare you all useless issues which has came to my hand up to now and apologise for this delay.

Lets explain what i am currently trying to solve .....

Up to now my plugin worked well, but since i added qtpropertybrowser library i have been facing
the error (screenshot below) when creating a new qtpropertybrowser.

Code: Select all

QtTreePropertyBrowser *PropertyPanel;
PropertyPanel = new QtTreePropertyBrowser(this);

NOTE : i added qtpropertybrowser libraries to maya QT, refering to "qt.conf" you see that library goes to ../lib
with hope that maya will be able to find the procedure (constructor of qtpropertybrowser or else)

Well after crossing all issues i have came to this last one and i think all this is mainly because of difference
between QT version that i use and compile library with.

Autodesk maya 2012 has QT 4.7.1 whereby i use QT 4.8.1, well this may explain all problem with i had till now.

Two solution :replacing Maya DLLs with my recent QT DLLs or download QT 4.7.1 (or may be update Maya QT through autodesk website)

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/509/ma ... rfaile.jpg
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/5884/v ... ergood.jpg
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1017/maya2012vsmyqt.jpg

It was suppose to be a walk in paradise (quick and well done) but but ....... now 3 weeks lost, i am really considering increasing the
time given to development of this project with hope that i will have result faster.

EDIT : I tried to replace the MAYA DLLs and receive this error .... well i think maya is compiled with the QT 4.7.1 library....
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

Well ...

If anybody knows how to add any of the project on this list ftp://ftp.qt.nokia.com/qt/solutions/lgpl/ on the maya QT, please assist.
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

Back to normal track .... from now project is again going foreward where it has been stoped.

Here screenshot (note by the way the treeview done with a loop for ogre scene entities and etc..., this was done before i have the QtPropertyBrowser problem)

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1078 ... rready.jpg
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

Here the status :

Full Resolution :
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4806 ... dscene.jpg

Reduced:

As you can see properties browser, event and interaction between UI and Ogre3D entities is now done. But i dont want to hardcode what properties entity should have, instead i want an XML file with all properties list to be loaded so that an user can himself add or remove property he want to see by modifying the XML file.

After the above is done, i will finally do frontend (dynamic) entity creation to place object from ui to the 3D space (+ current maya models realtime seen in Ogre3D space)

Well :wink: .... slowly slowly the small given time to this project is giving fruits and soon or later we will have something functional for map building.... :P

EDIT : for those wondering why Z position is not changing ogrehead up and down then answer is because of maya coordinate, by default (i have right now) it inverse X and Z (or Y and Z dont remember exactly) unless you change it in maya parameter so that Z will be the normal up and down coordinate as commonly and usually known.
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

Hi guys,

XML file to property browser done, sorry for delay, i have been busy in real life as everybody out there.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2974 ... ypanel.jpg
videl
Halfling

Post by videl »

Good work ;)

btw what Qt Widget did you use to display the attributes? The grouping of attributes looks neat.
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

videl wrote:Good work ;)

btw what Qt Widget did you use to display the attributes? The grouping of attributes looks neat.

QtTreePropertyBrowser
ftp://ftp.qt.nokia.com/qt/solutions/lgpl/

Give me a kudo by clicking the thumber up so that he will be boosting me :)
videl
Halfling

Post by videl »

Thanks for the link, kudo given :D
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

Meshes listbox done, quick dirty ... The problem here was that to make it work somehow because when called from QT project part maya crash, when called on plugin project side it works .... work in progress .....

kamishi
Gnoblar

Post by kamishi »

Good luck, this is awesome ! :)
nevarim
Gnoll

Post by nevarim »

great work ;)
i'm a noob until proven otherwise :D
used in my project ;) and thanks to everyone :D
Ogre 3d
Mygui
Skyx
Hydrax
MOC
CCS
ja0335
Gremlin

Post by ja0335 »

Hi

Do you have planed release this proyect?, Iam developing some similar.
Juan Camilo Acosta Arango
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

ja0335 wrote:Hi

Do you have planed release this proyect?, Iam developing some similar.

I have done fine tuning here and there but didn't updated and don't think i will release, i have been thinking hardly about the futur and flexibility of the software and i can say that its better to keep it on independant standalone software receiving files from 3D software than to inbuild using 3D software api.

Thus i decided few months ago to change direction since this project as it is, its more near of modeler render view than anything else.

In short i can post sources of this if required since i wont continue it as it is (maya inbuild, i mean through maya api etc), but same project is in progess in standalone way, example is : ogremax and faculty of map editing like ogitor. (this tool is mainly suppose to help and keep my task easy on my seamless openworld game project on ogre3D)

I plan to keep mine free for sure, and why not open source too by posting sources, but i got a life outhere and i am currently on a turbulence zone ... causing delay on project and all.

Please proceed with your project as you are now the only one on that way, but if its coming near map/objects editing and exporting like ogremax then you plus me will make total of three software on market, of course if we do release.
UT2007
Kobold

Post by UT2007 »

Lets forget this project and do something standalone.

Otherwise you have to redo project from zero for 3dsmax and other as they use their own API.
Unless may be doing this in Python as most Autodesk product have python.

However I think about Blender, its open source and could be very flexible if this plugin is built for it.