problem searching the word Lua

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
bvanevery
Goblin

problem searching the word Lua

Post by bvanevery »

Why is it that when I type "Lua" in the search box in the top right corner, I get no results, but when I type it in the Google Custom Search bar below that, I do get results? I'm hazarding a guess that the forum search function has one of those annoying "won't search for a small word" limits on it. To which I say, computerdom is filled with lots of small words and acronyms that are worth being able to search.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Re: problem searching the word Lua

Post by Zonder »

As I recollect phpbb ignores 3 letter words hence the 2 search methods.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
bvanevery
Goblin

Post by bvanevery »

The Google Custom Search does not provide date information. Is there some way to force it to do that? I find the 1st page of hits is pretty stale. Getting posts from 2010 and 2009, and I know there's been lots more recent Lua discussion than that. Figure Google just has some baloney "relevance" metric.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Hmm, you can search 'sites' with Googles' Advanced search.

https://www.google.com/advanced_search? ... dr:y,sbd:1

You can then do an advanced search, then there is an option to change by 'sort by relevance' to 'sort by date'.

I'm not sure how up to date the search results are though, but surely it's something. ;)
bvanevery
Goblin

Post by bvanevery »

Yeah... but I think at that point, we're saying neither search function as they appear on the Ogre forum page, really does much of a job with 3 letter computer terms. I suppose I'm really asking if there's a way to fix the Google Custom Search on the webpage so that it always yields a "most recent first" listing and gives actual dates for the listings. Which there might be an answer for, somewhere on the net, even if nobody happens to know around here. Maybe it can be reverse engineered by studying the generated URLs from Google Advanced Search.

It may not seem like a big deal, but every post or improvement suggestion I've made recently, has been on the following theme. "Person shows up and tries to wrap their head around Ogre." All sorts of little barriers. Need to search the forums about Lua because Ogre doesn't have any default "blessed" scripting language, and because Lugre is a dead project.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Ogre is C++, and uses templates and singletons and namespace tricks, so it's quite difficult to bind it to any scripting language.
It even trips up code parsers, like Emacs Semantic, making coding with Ogre less than joyful.

I think your best option, and the one closest to C++, would be either Angelscript or Chaiscript.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
bvanevery
Goblin

Post by bvanevery »

Yeah I bookmarked those, and found plenty of your old posts on the subject. In fact, I was chagrined to find *my own* rants about C++ from 2010, which you were a main thread participant! Totally forgotten that I had had that conversation around here, or that you were a "language bindings guy." Anyways that research is pretty well in hand.

I posted this thread to solve the 3-letter search problem. For future people trying to wrap their head around Ogre. I like the reverse engineering idea, but I'm not ready to run off and figure out the HTML solution just yet. HTML is not my ken.
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

Been using luabind and Ogre for 4 years, works well, as long as you understand its quirks, and don't care about code size.
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

Lua afaik is the fastest scripting language, especially with LuaJIT.
I also used luabind, which is nice, but unfortunately does not seem to work with LuaJIT exceptions.

LuaBridge seems to be better for that.
My site! - Have a look :)
Also on Twitter - extra fluffy