Optimised texture format

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
aoikonom
Gnoblar

Optimised texture format

Post by aoikonom »

I know different devices (especially mobile phones and tablets) support hardware acceleration for different texture formats.

Which texture formats does OGRE support for hardware acceleration for OpenGLES 2?

As far as I understand OGRE supports ETC1 & PVRTC for hardware acceleration and decodes all other formats. Does OGRE check if a specific format is supported in a device and if yes then tries to send it directly to the gpu, otherwise decodes it in memory? Are there other formats supported?
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Re: Optimised texture format

Post by Zonder »

Are you talking about compressed formats? If so ogre only uses dds for compressed formats see wikipedia on S3 texture compression

If not then it doesn't really matter on the storage format as long as the format gives the quality you require.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

If so ogre only uses dds for compressed formats
I believe the android and ios ports of ogre support pvrtc (it's like dxt compression but specifically for powervr mobile gpus). No idea about ETC1.
aoikonom
Gnoblar

Post by aoikonom »

I am talking about compressed formats that are not decompressed in memory but sent directly to graphics card (if it supports it) for optimised performance.

As for ETC1 I see that OgreETC1Codec has been added in OGRE 1.9.
masterfalcon
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by masterfalcon »

ETC2 support is also undergoing testing right now too.
aoikonom
Gnoblar

Post by aoikonom »

I can't find a tool to create pvr files that can be read from Ogre 1.8. Files created from Imagination PvrTextTool cannot be read from Ogre 1.8. Even when I copy code from Ogre 1.9 it does not recognise pixel format. I can't use Apple's texturetool since I am programming in Windows.

Do you know of any tool I can use to create pvr files that can be read from Ogre 1.8?
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Kojack wrote:
If so ogre only uses dds for compressed formats
I believe the android and ios ports of ogre support pvrtc (it's like dxt compression but specifically for powervr mobile gpus). No idea about ETC1.
I stand corrected never bothered with device ports yet :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
masterfalcon
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by masterfalcon »

aoikonom wrote:Do you know of any tool I can use to create pvr files that can be read from Ogre 1.8?
Unfortunately no. But 1.9 is nearing completion, why don't you just go ahead and use that.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

aoikonom wrote:I can't find a tool to create pvr files that can be read from Ogre 1.8. Files created from Imagination PvrTextTool cannot be read from Ogre 1.8. Even when I copy code from Ogre 1.9 it does not recognise pixel format. I can't use Apple's texturetool since I am programming in Windows.

Do you know of any tool I can use to create pvr files that can be read from Ogre 1.8?
To use pvr textures in ogre you need to compile ogre's source using the advanced cmake flag OGRE_CONFIG_ENABLE_PVRTC. It defaults to off (at least for windows builds).