DirectX 11 compute shaders and advanced low level stuff in g

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Artemis
Gnoblar

DirectX 11 compute shaders and advanced low level stuff in g

Post by Artemis »

Hi!
I want to do some game programming and visualizations, and Ogre seems like a good choice, because it would take care of various things, such as scene setup, model management, etc...
However, I am also interested in some advanced rendering techniques, particularly advanced post processing effects, which may not quite fit into the Ogre framework, so I need direct access to the DirectX 11 device - because as far I understand it, newer versions of Ogre have the option of using DirectX 11 internally.
Is there a way to do this? As in, can I get access to the DirectX 11 device and some internal structures (such as the render target or the depth buffer) at certain points during my rendering loop, and just use it whichever way I like?

Cheers!
bstone
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: DirectX 11 compute shaders and advanced low level stuff

Post by bstone »

Chances are you can do all your "advanced" stuff without low-level access to the DirecX 11 device. Ogre lets you work with shaders, compositors, render targets, and depth buffers through its API.
Artemis
Gnoblar

Post by Artemis »

So it is not possible? That is unfortunate... but maybe I can figure something out by looking at the Ogre source code.
bstone
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by bstone »

You didn't get what I was saying. I said that you don't need accessing the device directly in order to do your post effects. You can do that via the Ogre's API.