Animations

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
xXx
Halfling

Animations

Post by xXx »

Hello, this time i need help with animations :)

I read that the ".skeleton" file includes also the animations that can be applied to the mesh.

The meshes i will use, are all modeled with the same skeleton and have a set of common animations (walk, run, jump...), that are even for all, plus some specific (for example a different kind of "kick" or "punch") that change from mesh to mesh. Can i separate the animations from that skeleton file? And also, can i separate the "shared" animations from the specific "animations"?

I wish there were something like a hierarchy of animations :(

Another important question is the following:
Can someone provide me the Milkshape Exporter? I can't find it anywhere, and the link i followed on sourceforge doesn't install anything :(
I must export the meshes from Milkshape, since if i try to import them in blender (to use the exporter to ogre) i get a completely messed mesh...

Please, help me :D
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Re: Animations

Post by mkultra333 »

Regarding at least one of your questions, I have a system where I have one mesh which is just a cube, but it has a complex humanoid skeletion and a bunch of different animation tracks for walking, running, etc. I then have other humanoid meshes that have skeletons but no animations. I can then select animation poses from the cube and manually copy the bone positions and orientations onto the other humanoid meshes. I've set mine up so it re-targets the bones, so the humanoids don't necessarily need exactly the same skeleton as the cube. But it would be much easier if the humanoid skeletons match the cube skeleton.

This is a kinda complicated way to do things, but it is workable. The things to look at are Ogre::AnimationStateSet and Ogre::AnimationState

Can't help with the other issues, sorry.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
xXx
Halfling

Re: Animations

Post by xXx »

Thank you for your answer, i will try to get knowledge about those two topics :)

I hope to find some more tutorials, i found just two or three and they seem good... The thing i really need is the milkshape exporter, since everything passes from here: i don't know how to perform skinning on the meshes, it seems very difficult with big humanoid meshes. I guess i must learn skinning in blender, if i can't find an exporter :(

Anyway, thank for your help :)

Edit: I finally found a working plugin in the repository of ogre (under the old tools), now i can export all the files, but i still don't get what should i do in ogre...