Ogre Newton Wrapper for core 3.00

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Julio Jerez
Kobold

Ogre Newton Wrapper for core 3.00

Post by Julio Jerez »

Hello,
I decided to update OgreNewt to the latest Newton 3.00

This is not just a port, this wrapper uses the dNewton Class tool, which is na objected oriented encapsulation of the low level Newton API.
I took the best of the existing wrappers: OgreNewt and MinimalOgrenet and refactored it.

The wrapper is an 100% Ogre app, by this I mean it looks and feel just like an Ogre application, not call to any external API, that includes Newton.
I never had check in access to the old OgreNewt archive therefore I made a new on in Google source:

http://code.google.com/p/ogrenewton

Google source does not longer allows to upload zip for downlaod, therefore if anyone wants to try this it will have to sync to the late SVN version,
sorry about that. They do say that the provide a different site fro uploading stable releases; I see if I upload a stabe release there later,
but for now this is alpha stage.

The motivations for this are:
-I believe the current wrapper was abandoned, and the last release was not even the latest Newton 2.xx release.
-The old wrapper could use some improvement code wise.
On this, I hope people provide some feedback so that I can bring to the Ogre starters as much as it can be.
-It is a move to promote the newer Newton core 300, I will also be making wrapper for other open source game and graphic engines like Open Scene Graph and Irrlicht.
-It is a responded to all of the misinformation about the Newton library that is floating around all over the Internet, that for the most part comes from ill informed people.

This first release contains three demos, which in my opinion are the basics to get up and running with any physics library, they provide:
-Engine set up, how to create basic objects, and collisions,
-How to make a scene level mesh with Ogre BSP or static meshes
-Integration the terrain

These features are not mutually exclusive, but for clarity, I use then separate on each demo.
Note: the terrain demo is the first one that mixes both terrain and mesh geometry.

If you try this, please provide some feedback on anything you consider is right or wrong.

I still have more to do, I will be adding:
In the next week I will add: Player controller, Ragdolls and vehicles, destruction.

Also I will be making update as I add more features to the engine.

Julio
Julio Jerez
Kobold

Re: Ogre Newton Wrapper for core 3.00

Post by Julio Jerez »

there is a direct link for downloading stable releases now, it is in Google Drive, but since people can not browse Google drives without a Google account, I have short cuts here
http://newtondynamics.com/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=7662
NotCamelCase
Greenskin

Post by NotCamelCase »

Thanks for the information and wrapper. I'd not encountered this framework while checking out the existing ones but since Newton Dynamics and your wrapper seem easy for starters and yet powerful, I'd like to go with this.

So I downloaded and encountered a bug with terrain demo that demo does not render the terrain when render system is OpenGL. I pasted the log here

Edit: I just tried the demo in /bin without building anything.
Julio Jerez
Kobold

Post by Julio Jerez »

Yes I know, the terrain does not render with OpenGL.
I do not know what that problems is, I spent a day trying to figure it out, but then I realized this is a bug with Ogre terrain shader.

I searched for related questions, and it seems every one consensus is that the terrain just do not work with OpenGL drivers.
I test in two systems and I get different beheviors on each.

I took the code for setting the terrain straighr from the Samples demos that comes with Ogre download.
I may be I am missing some assets or something else, but If I am, I do not know what, perhaps one of the Ogre expert can tell me what it is.

Thank you for testing this.
I am now doing the player controller, by I am stopped with a bug, and also the lack of time to spend on newton.
But I beleiev I will have ready in a day or two.

Julio