I need 3D/2D framework selection advice

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
fermmm
Gnoblar

I need 3D/2D framework selection advice

Post by fermmm »

Hi

We are a small company with only 2 programmers. We currently make small 2D and 3D games for desktop and mobile using Adobe Flash/Air. We want to stop using that framework and start learning and developing on C++ because there are much more and better libraries and frameworks available on C++.
I'm not sure about the libraries to use for rendering. I know that ogre3D is a great rendering engine for 3D content but sometimes we need to make 2D games or "2.5D" games, sometimes with video playback, and all that need to be mixed with 3D scenes.
I know there are 2D frameworks like cocos2D-x and smfl that works with OpenGL (I don't know much about OpenGL) and can do all the 2D things I need, but that frameworks can be combined with Ogre3D? and can be done without the need of knowing how all the ogre internal staff works?
If Ogre3D can be combined with any 2D engine, what do I need to learn to merge the frameworks?
Klaim
Old One

Re: I need 3D/2D framework selection advice

Post by Klaim »

In theory, you can share OpenGL contexts between Cocos2d-x and Ogre, or SFML, Cinder, OpenFrameworks, SDL etc. (from a C++ syntax pov SFML is best but it's also the one with the less features).
I know people have used SFML and Ogre together before for example.

Ogre alone can be used for 2D too, it's just harder to manipulate, but I guess if you setup (or if there is already somewhere) some helpers it should be no problem. Ogre's current binary size might be a problem though. There are projects of making it more lean and composable but they are not finished yet.
cool_thomas
Kobold

Re: I need 3D/2D framework selection advice

Post by cool_thomas »

I'm not sure how well it can integrate with Ogre, but a 2.5D engine that I have been curious about for quite some time is the FIFE Engine.

http://www.fifengine.net/