Naming of ShaderGenerator::finalize

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
kiter
Halfling

Naming of ShaderGenerator::finalize

Post by kiter »

I've started using ShaderGenerator and really like it. One thing I found confusing though was that to destroy it, you have to call the finalize() static member function. As far as I know, normally, finalize means putting something in it's final or finished form, so more like a final initialize. Normally I just work with the headers that has the function documented as 'Finalize the Shader Generator instance.'. So had to get the source to see what it actually does.

But awesome stuff it does. Switched to directx11 and the ShaderGenerator is really great for generating shaders on the fly for 'shaderless' materials!

Iman
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Naming of ShaderGenerator::finalize

Post by spacegaier »

Can you please create a JIRA ticket in the category "Papercut" for that idea. We might then perhaps change the name, or at least add a second one with a more suitable name (that internally then just calls finalize).
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
kiter
Halfling

Post by kiter »

Created issue OGRE-317
lingfors
Hobgoblin

Post by lingfors »

kiter wrote:I've started using ShaderGenerator and really like it. One thing I found confusing though was that to destroy it, you have to call the finalize() static member function. As far as I know, normally, finalize means putting something in it's final or finished form, so more like a final initialize. Normally I just work with the headers that has the function documented as 'Finalize the Shader Generator instance.'. So had to get the source to see what it actually does.

But awesome stuff it does. Switched to directx11 and the ShaderGenerator is really great for generating shaders on the fly for 'shaderless' materials!

Iman
Maybe a Java developer wrote it... :)
kiter
Halfling

Post by kiter »

Looked up what you meant and now I understand the logic behind the name.
We all know the basic statement that finalize() method is called by garbage collector thread before reclaiming the memory allocated to the object.

Until now I obviously was not a java expert :-)