OgreDotNet

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
levan
Halfling

OgreDotNet

Post by levan »

Hello

is here anybody using OgreDotNet ?
I cant instal it properly dont know what heppening but for me will be enough just to use precompiled .dlls but there is no way to download them the link is dead

http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... OgreDotNet

http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/addons/vie ... php?t=1203

I want to use it in my Mono project on linux, just to use libraries that are wrappers for OpenCL math methods. When I download .dlls from this link:

http://code.google.com/p/ogredotnet/downloads/list

I cant use ogrebindings.dll the rest is working ok. have no idia why but its giving some exception as an arror.

Many thanks

levan
Herb
Orc

Re: OgreDotNet

Post by Herb »

Most people are using the C# wrapper on Ogre called MOGRE which stands for managed ogre. You'll find much better support for that library over OgreDotNet, which I think hasn't been maintained for awhile now...
levan
Halfling

Post by levan »

Herb wrote:Most people are using the C# wrapper on Ogre called MOGRE which stands for managed ogre. You'll find much better support for that library over OgreDotNet, which I think hasn't been maintained for awhile now...

Yes sure it is but they are saying its only for windows and I need to develop some stuff to work on linux as well, so I am trying to use OgreDotNet,
did you try Morge with mono on linux or something simular ?

all the best

levan
Herb
Orc

Post by Herb »

@levan - Ah, yeah, I didn't catch that mogre can't use mono on linux yet. I see that in their roadmap, but it still says it's incomplete...Haven't look enough at mogre to see what technique they are using for the wrapper. I know in the past I've used SWIG for wrapping my C++ libraries to C#. It's fairly easy to do, but agree, it's be nice to use something already done.
levan
Halfling

Post by levan »

Herb wrote:@levan - Ah, yeah, I didn't catch that mogre can't use mono on linux yet. I see that in their roadmap, but it still says it's incomplete...Haven't look enough at mogre to see what technique they are using for the wrapper. I know in the past I've used SWIG for wrapping my C++ libraries to C#. It's fairly easy to do, but agree, it's be nice to use something already done.

Thanks a lot, swig seems really nice and easy will try out it now.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Herb wrote:@levan - Ah, yeah, I didn't catch that mogre can't use mono on linux yet. I see that in their roadmap, but it still says it's incomplete...Haven't look enough at mogre to see what technique they are using for the wrapper. I know in the past I've used SWIG for wrapping my C++ libraries to C#. It's fairly easy to do, but agree, it's be nice to use something already done.
From what I know, Mogre works by building Ogre as a .Net managed library using C++/CLI (after applying a massive patch to the ogre source that modifies every class), then uses a custom parsing tool to generate c# wrapping code for most of it. Some parts aren't wrapped, such as the matrix3 class and others, they are rewritten in c# from scratch for performance reasons.
Unfortunately Mogre is kind of stagnated, it's still only compatible with ogre 1.7.x.
levan
Halfling

Post by levan »

Kojack wrote:
From what I know, Mogre works by building Ogre as a .Net managed library using C++/CLI (after applying a massive patch to the ogre source that modifies every class), then uses a custom parsing tool to generate c# wrapping code for most of it. Some parts aren't wrapped, such as the matrix3 class and others, they are rewritten in c# from scratch for performance reasons.
Unfortunately Mogre is kind of stagnated, it's still only compatible with ogre 1.7.x.

So there is no way no use out of trying Mogre with Mono on linux for now ?
rndbit
Gnoblar

Post by rndbit »

levan wrote:
Kojack wrote:

So there is no way no use out of trying Mogre with Mono on linux for now ?
not now, most likely not ever.

Keep your eyes open and track progress of CppSharp, atm i see it as most likely thing that could bring ogre to mono world.