Manualobject with different materials

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
ApfelPresse
Gnoblar

Manualobject with different materials

Post by ApfelPresse »

Hi,
I've created a HeightMap and now i want to set rock,gras,water.... textures to the map.
Is there a way to set different materials to one Manualobject?

Wiki says that I shouldn't create one big mesh but rather smaller ones..
So my HeightMap is a big puzzle but how can i connect these puzzle parts without saving information twice?

thanks
Attachments
Map.jpg
Map.jpg (68.79 KiB) Viewed 741 times
c6burns
Beholder

Re: Manualobject with different materials

Post by c6burns »

Alpha splatting would be the way to go, in my opinion. This is where terrain uses a single material that blends multiple splat textures using a splat map. Normally, but not necessarily, the splat map is a texture where the rgba channels sum to 1.0 with each channel representing how much of the corresponding splat texture to blend into the final color. So for example, if you have 4 splat textures (rock, snow, dirt, grass) you need a single splat map that defines how each is blended (eg. red channel for rock, blue channel for snow, and so on). This requires a shader, and there is an example in the wiki that can use 2 splat maps to blend up to 8 splat textures: http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Terrain+Alpha+Splatting