CS Bachelor thesis - Some questions

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Termoventilador
Gnoblar

CS Bachelor thesis - Some questions

Post by Termoventilador »

Hello guys, I'm Roger and I'm finishing my CS degree and my project involves computer graphics, because of that I'm searching for a suitable library/engine to aid my needs.

I have some questions for the community and I hope you guys can help me.

What versions of OpenGl are supported?
What is the binary size of Ogre in a built application?
How easy is to render with Ogre (soz for the typo)into WPF?(MOGRE?)
One last favor, can you guys provide some references on what was Ogre used in(commercial and not Torchlight :lol: )? I'm searching but I really don't want to miss anything important.

Best Regards, Thank you.
Roger
Last edited by Termoventilador on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Transporter
Minaton

Re: CS Bachelor thesis - Some questions

Post by Transporter »

Termoventilador wrote:What versions of OpenGl are supported?
There are two GL render systems available:
  • OpenGL Render System
  • OpenGL 3+ Render System
Termoventilador wrote:What is the binary size of Ogre in a built application?
Depends on all dependencies and what files do you count. I have a driving simulator and the main executable is about 500 kB, Ogre's DLLs are about 25 MB (cg.dll included) and my resources are between 400 MB and 2,5 GB.
Termoventilador wrote:How easy is to render with SFML into WPF?(MOGRE?)
I don't know. I don't render Ogre in WPF because WPF has a hardware accelerating rendering by DirectX.
Termoventilador wrote:One last favor, can you guys provide some references on what was Ogre used in(commercial and not Torchlight :lol: )? I'm searching but I really don't want to miss anything important.
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=11
Termoventilador
Gnoblar

Transporter wrote:
Termoventilador wrote:What versions of OpenGl are supported?
There are two GL render systems available:
  • OpenGL Render System
  • OpenGL 3+ Render System
Termoventilador wrote:What is the binary size of Ogre in a built application?
Depends on all dependencies and what files do you count. I have a driving simulator and the main executable is about 500 kB, Ogre's DLLs are about 25 MB (cg.dll included) and my resources are between 400 MB and 2,5 GB.
Termoventilador wrote:How easy is to render with SFML into WPF?(MOGRE?)
I don't know. I don't render Ogre in WPF because WPF has a hardware accelerating rendering by DirectX.
Termoventilador wrote:One last favor, can you guys provide some references on what was Ogre used in(commercial and not Torchlight :lol: )? I'm searching but I really don't want to miss anything important.
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=11
Thanks mate, nice info!
is OpenGl ES supported?
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Termoventilador wrote: What versions of OpenGl are supported?
- OpenGL 1.x to 2.x is available using the default GL rendersystem
- OpenGL 3.x+ is available using the new GL3+ rendersystem (which is not yet totally finished, there is merging going on right now)
- OpenGL ES 2.x is available using the GLES rendersystem

Totally depends on how you build ogre (static?dynamic?) and what components you chose to activate.
In my case, OgreMain + GLRendersystem + OgreProcedural (a plugin) + OctreeSceneManager are a bit more then 10Mo for windows, in 32bit mode, all dlls.
I got no idea. But Ogre can use any window surface you want if you provide the handle. The difficulty is always to make sure the external system and Ogre don't stomp each others's feets.
One last favor, can you guys provide some references on what was Ogre used in(commercial and not Torchlight :lol: )? I'm searching but I really don't want to miss anything important.
There is a section in the galery of the website about this. You should also look at game engine projects (Neo Axis for example) that use Ogre for the rendering part.
Maybe searching the Showcase forum will be more helpful though, a lot of these projects are commercial.

I worked in a company (Creative Patterns) that made "Building & Co" which used an old version of Ogre (I didn't work on it).
Termoventilador
Gnoblar

Klaim wrote:
Termoventilador wrote: What versions of OpenGl are supported?
- OpenGL 1.x to 2.x is available using the default GL rendersystem
- OpenGL 3.x+ is available using the new GL3+ rendersystem (which is not yet totally finished, there is merging going on right now)
- OpenGL ES 2.x is available using the GLES rendersystem

Totally depends on how you build ogre (static?dynamic?) and what components you chose to activate.
In my case, OgreMain + GLRendersystem + OgreProcedural (a plugin) + OctreeSceneManager are a bit more then 10Mo for windows, in 32bit mode, all dlls.
I got no idea. But Ogre can use any window surface you want if you provide the handle. The difficulty is always to make sure the external system and Ogre don't stomp each others's feets.
There is a section in the gallery of the website about this. You should also look at game engine projects (Neo Axis for example) that use Ogre for the rendering part.
thanks allot mate, I'm going to go for a upper bound with dynamic linking, I would say arround 25mgs is accurate with the binaries and dlls, what do you think?
PhilipLB
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by PhilipLB »

Just to throw in a game series which is done with Ogre: Ankh
Google Summer of Code 2012 Student
Topic: "Volume Rendering with LOD aimed at terrain"
Project links: Project thread, WIKI page, Code fork for the project
Mentor: Mattan Furst

Volume GFX, accepting donations.
madmarx
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by madmarx »

motorm4x, book of unwritten tales for example.
Tutorials + Ogre searchable API + more for Ogre1.7 : http://sourceforge.net/projects/so3dtools/
Corresponding thread : http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 93&start=0
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Termoventilador wrote: thanks allot mate, I'm going to go for a upper bound with dynamic linking, I would say arround 25mgs is accurate with the binaries and dlls, what do you think?
As I was saying, it depends which components and plugins you want to use, what architecture (32?64 bits?), what compiler, what compilation settings, if you changed CMake options for Ogre, etc.

Basically, assume it will be around 20+ mo and just build the Ogre components you'll need on the target architecture to check the exact size.