Few questions about OGRE

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
al_0
Gnoblar

Few questions about OGRE

Post by al_0 »

Hello.

have a few Q's hope someone can help.

1) What does the SDK actually do, you have the OGRE source so what extras does the SDK actually provide?
2) After browsing the OGRE source, well there is a lot to say the least. I would have thought that a lot of this source is not not needed for a win32 PC game, for example you have source for multi 3d importers, various different platforms and also Opengl/DX graphics. I have heard of Horde3D, maybe that is what I am looking for, but how would you strip out all the non win32 PC source. As I said there is a LOT of source in there, and it's pretty mind boggling trying to work out what is what etc.... I assume you can choose between either DX or Opengl ?
lingfors
Hobgoblin

Re: Few questions about OGRE

Post by lingfors »

1) The SDK provides pre-compiled libraries for users who don't know or want to compile the source themselves (it's not completely straight-forward, plus it takes a considerable amount of time to compile).

2) Some parts might not be needed for YOUR game, while it might be needed for MY game. Similarly, some of it is not needed for MY game, while it might be needed for YOUR game. Also, in fact, I believe there are not 2, but 5 render systems supported today: D3D9, D3D11, OpenGL, OpenGL3+, and OpenGLES. Each render system is compiled into separate libraries though, so if all you want your game to support is D3D9, you only have to distribute that library.

However, since Ogre is multiplatform (Windows, Linux, mobile platforms), it has to support render systems for those platforms...
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

1. The most flexible way is to grab the source and compile it yourself. However, esp. for beginners or people who just quickly want to give Ogre a spin, having a pre-compiled SDK makes it sometimes easier. Basically, the SDK is just the a compiled (binary) Ogre version.

2. When you grab the Ogre source and then run CMake on it, you can select and deselect various Ogre parts that you don't want/need, such as the tools, the docs, the samples, different components (Terrain, Paging, Overlays, etc.), different rendering systems (DirectX and OpenGL versions), build modes (float vs. double precisions, unity builds, etc.). It however still stay compilable for non-Windows as well. But that is a good thing, so not sure why you would want to remove that.
At runtime, either your users or the application itself can then select to start any of the available (= compiled and put in the correct directory) rendering systems.

EDIT: That plus everything 'lingfors' wrote who was slightly faster :) .
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

al_0 wrote:for example you have source for multi 3d importers
There is no 3d importer support in ogre besides the official .mesh format (and .skeleton which contains the bones to match .mesh for animation). There are multiple exporters available, but none of them are part of the official ogre. There's also the ogreassimp importer, but again that isn't part of ogre itself.

(If you were looking at the ogreaddons repository, that has a ton of extra stuff like exporters, but it's all optional third party addons, not default parts of ogre)