Problem and a question

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
ImLucid
Halfling

Problem and a question

Post by ImLucid »

I am using the sdk btw. So i was setting up the first tutorial framework project and when i try to use the environment label OGRE_HOME it could not find anything but when i change it to a relative path it does. that was the first problem.

The second problem was it could not find the camera header file i dont remember exactly because i deleted it and now i am coming back. I will redo everything if you guys can persuade me enough on the next part.

Why is the exe so BIG. i dont have a problem downloading things that big but im using ogre for the fun of it so when i want someone else to do something they have to download a big file. I realize that ogre has many dependencies that make it so big but is there anyway of disabling some of them so it is smaller because just running the tutorial framework even though it dint work all the way it was 33mb and i think it was a hello world.
c6burns
Beholder

Re: Problem and a question

Post by c6burns »

33M is reasonable for an application with as much code as a tutorial framework app ... I assume you mean the size of libraries and exe. Otherwise 33M is also not very big if you've statically linked everything into a single exe. 33M is unreasonable huge if I had to transfer it on my atari 800 xl's 300 baud modem.
ImLucid
Halfling

Post by ImLucid »

well i set a environment label as OGRE_HOME and vs2010 cant find all the includes in the tutorial framework so if any of you have a solution to this please let me know untill than im going to have to change all these so they dont use OGRE_HOME
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

I use 2010 with the environment variable OGRE_HOME pointed at my SDK directory. It works fine. Issue this command from your VS cmd prompt:
echo %OGRE_HOME%

It should show your Ogre dir or else something is not right with your environment variable.
ImLucid
Halfling

Post by ImLucid »

Well i changed them all manually but i ran that code you gave me and it just keeps telling me that the syntax of the command is incorrect i have done computer Properties->Advanced System Properties->environment labels->and i see it under user not under system is that the problem?

The other thing is that i tried to run this example http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... =Tutorials I know it is meant for ogre3d 1.7.x but i thought it should not be too different for the latest version. I read and copied it and i get an error that says

Code: Select all

1>MSVCRTD.lib(crtexew.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _WinMain@16 referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup
1>c:\users\user\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Ogretest\Debug\Ogretest.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Dont know how to fix it and i just want an example on how to use ogre to display window and display something than i should be able to go from there. I was also trying not to use the tutorial framework for examples.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

The echo command has been part of ms dos since I can remember. %env_var% is how you access your env vars ... you can do the same thing by opening windows explorer and putting %OGRE_HOME% into the address bar. It should take you to the path of your SDK or else the var isnt set properly.

WinMain is for windows (CRT) apps, so I'm guessing you chose the wrong project type when you created the project.

EDIT: Oh it's not the tutorial framework making your code bloated in case that's why you don't want to use it. I just meant that OgreMain dll itself is around 6M+ in release mode (for me). Using CG for GPU programs? Add another 8M+ for cg.dll and the plugin dll ... and so on. You aren't going to get around anything by skipping the tutorial framework. Also 33M in addition to whatever assets you ship with the application is very small ... generally you worry about executable size when you are taking a serious stab at a framework for embedded systems / consoles. If you aren't trying to squeeze Ogre onto the SPU of a playstation then I wouldn't worry :)
ImLucid
Halfling

Post by ImLucid »

Okay i solved two of the problems now i only have how to make a project from scratch because this is what i did...

I created a win32 project because that is what the "Setting Up An Application" said to do. it was an empty project and i also made sure the windows application was marked. Well i tried again and could not get it to work with out that error coming back up. im thinking i might go back a version to 1.8 so maybe these tutorials work because i am so lost on ogre3d right now i was using a different graphics library but thought i should give this a try. But i cant get any of the tutorials to work. I just want the minimalist like a window and a object in the window and i can go from there. hopefully... :?
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

What you want is exactly what the tutorial framework provides, and there's a tutorial framework cmake project that was updated for v1-9

http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Building ... With+CMake
ImLucid
Halfling

Post by ImLucid »

Okay because so far from my tutorial framework it runs but i get this Image

Nothing happens is that supposed to be like that? is that why you say this is what i want?

My ogre log file has some file exceptions to here is the file.
Attachments
Ogre.log
(92.82 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Code: Select all

void TutorialApplication::createScene(void)
{
    // create your scene here :)
}
That's from TutorialApplication.cpp ... there's not supposed to be anything in the scene. So now you can go through the tutorials and learn how to fill that method with fun things :)
ImLucid
Halfling

Post by ImLucid »

Okay thank you a lot c6burns you have always responded in a timely manor. if i have more question i will post them here.