Popcorn FX and importing Meshes

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
TheJazzProphet
Gnoblar

Popcorn FX and importing Meshes

Post by TheJazzProphet »

Good day

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this question. I found the original topic for the Popcorn FX particle editor in the Showcase area; but this seems more applicable.

I have attempted to contact the creators directly, but with no success. So I am hoping someone here can assist me. I'm trying to evaluate Popcorn for future use in a game engine that has been built from scratch and need to figure out how to import 3D meshes into the editor for use as scale reference. This is really the last piece of the puzzle. Their own site wiki does not yet have any documentation on how to import a mesh other than you need to start off the an FBX and then some how bake it into their own unique file format. How this is accomplished is not explained; but I know you can import meshes as many of the sample effects have 3D meshes in them and the system is being used in several video games already.

As Popcorn does not have a public forum of their own; any ideas would be welcome.

Thank you kindly.
HHVFx
Gnoblar

Re: Popcorn FX and importing Meshes

Post by HHVFx »

Hi,

- you can drag/drop your .fbx mesh into the 'content browser' of the popcorn editor, or just add it inside the "Meshes" subdirectory of the popcorn project.
- Then, make sure you have 'Mesh' checked in the filter settings panel http://www.popcornfx.com/wiki/index.php ... r_Settings
- You should see your mesh in the thumbnail list (with no thumbnail)
- double-click on the thumbnail to open the mesh builder window
- click 'Build' on the bottom-right corner of the mesh builder window

this should produce a '.hmm' or '.pkmm' file (depending on your version of the editor. As you're using the popcorn plugin, you're stuck with popcorn editor 1.5.3, so it should be .hmm)
these contain the raw geometry and are used by mesh samplers.
based on wether or not you checked the "generate assets" checkbox in the mesh builder window, it will also generate a ".hml" and ".hma" file, these contain higher-level model & material information, and are used if you want to use your model as a backdrop in the editor (pretty much like the default cube-rooms you have in the default popcorn packs)

Out of curiosity, to which email address did you send that mail ? "contact _at_ popcornfx.com" ? it seems like you're not the first one from the ogre forums to send us mails we don't receive.