Realtime Simulation from CAD data

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
cgarfy
Gnoblar

Realtime Simulation from CAD data

Post by cgarfy »

Hello All,

Im new in this forum also new in OGRE...
First I wanna know am I be in correct place or not. So,
I have a software which is computing road and terrain coordinates in 3d. Also draw on CAD engine. I want to render this CAD data somehow and navigate realtime (maybe ride a car on the road or look from helicopter attitude etc..)
I just want to export my data (text format, dwg or dxf format etc) and read from another PROGRAM for render and navigate it.
Here is the question, is OGRE suitable for my PROGRAM ? If the answer is yes where is the start point for me ? If the answer is no what is can you give me another solution for that purpose ?
Any advices welcome,

thanks,
C.Garfy
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Re: Realtime Simulation from CAD data

Post by Kojack »

Ogre should be fine for that.
Although depending on how your data is provided you may have to write your own import code. Ogre has plugins for programs like 3DS Max, Maya, Blender, Sketchup, etc, but I'm not aware of any dwg or dxf tools.
cgarfy
Gnoblar

Post by cgarfy »

Thanks for your answer Kojack

I can export my data any format. I started looking Ogre tutorials.
jheld
Halfling

Post by jheld »

Hi C.Garfy

Easiest thing we've found is to export from solidworks or other CAD program into Maya or Blender readable. Then use the appropriate Ogre3d exporter as Kojack said.

You may need to watch your triangle count & batches because most CAD will have far higher detail than you'll need for in Ogre3D, resulting in low frame rates.
Spending some time simplifying your models will help there

Cheers
Jason