null Renderer for Ogre

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
olbr
Kobold

null Renderer for Ogre

Post by olbr »

hello,

I need to use null renderer to make ogre work on a server, found old one here http://users.on.net/~edan/cam/Ogre/
but cant make it work, has anybody used it before, any hint or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Best
c6burns
Beholder

Re: null Renderer for Ogre

Post by c6burns »

I have a bit of advice. Don't bump old null renderer threads when you already have 2 other threads going about the same thing :lol:
olbr
Kobold

Post by olbr »

c6burns wrote:I have a bit of advice. Don't bump old null renderer threads when you already have 2 other threads going about the same thing :lol:

Yea I know, but nobody is answering to the old treads anyway, and I really need to know if its possible to make it work.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

I guess it's not easy anyway and most people who use client rendering from server commands don't follow this forum at all.

In any way, the idea is pretty simple but the actual work is very long I suppose.
You have to setup a renderer used on the server-side which will capture the commands. It's not as easy as it looks.
Then you have to send the commands to the client. Then you have to either have some code reproducing the commands on the client side, or ... maybe other ways more complex but that might be the simplest.

In any way it's a massive work.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

olbr wrote:
c6burns wrote:I have a bit of advice. Don't bump old null renderer threads when you already have 2 other threads going about the same thing :lol:

Yea I know, but nobody is answering to the old treads anyway, and I really need to know if its possible to make it work.
It's possible, but you have to figure there's a reason it isn't already done. Ogre is a library tied tightly to hardware acceleration without a software renderer. Also "I really need to know" doesn't seem like an acceptable excuse to break the common sense (as well as actual) rules of the forum.
olbr
Kobold

Post by olbr »

c6burns wrote:
olbr wrote:

It's possible, but you have to figure there's a reason it isn't already done. Ogre is a library tied tightly to hardware acceleration without a software renderer. Also "I really need to know" doesn't seem like an acceptable excuse to break the common sense (as well as actual) rules of the forum.

Sure you are right, sorry
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Something I should have asked when I mentioned null renderers, what features of ogre are you actually using?
If it involves any form of rendered output (like to an image, even if not realtime) then a null renderer won't help. It's purely for using parts of ogre like the math classes, mesh loading and skeleton animation without visual output. If there's no visual side involved at all (most people who wanted a null renderer wanted it for a server while they used normal ogre in the client) then there's better alternatives. For example Havok has math functions, skeleton animation (a lot more powerful than ogre's), mesh exporting, etc.
Herb
Orc

Post by Herb »

If you really just want to simulate physics or something on the server, you can do that without Ogre if you're using a separate physics package. Really it comes down to what Kojack says, do you really need to "render" ogre on the server. You can use a lot of Ogre functionality without rendering frames on the server.
olbr
Kobold

Post by olbr »

Kojack wrote:Something I should have asked when I mentioned null renderers, what features of ogre are you actually using?
If it involves any form of rendered output (like to an image, even if not realtime) then a null renderer won't help. It's purely for using parts of ogre like the math classes, mesh loading and skeleton animation without visual output. If there's no visual side involved at all (most people who wanted a null renderer wanted it for a server while they used normal ogre in the client) then there's better alternatives. For example Havok has math functions, skeleton animation (a lot more powerful than ogre's), mesh exporting, etc.
Thank a lot for response. It is my first time doing something based on a game programming, just it seemed so much more convenient to do everything based on a game engine.
So to describe more in details, I have some 3D representation of my many body system, and instead of creating all the 2D or 3D arrays of their locations and then methods related to their transformation I just used OpenGL libraries that you have wrapped in C++, and created all the objects with .meshes from blender. Their movement is governed by the mathematics that is totally in C++. So everything is based just on a game and I am getting OpenGL visual representation of what is going on in a window, but also all the files that I need to process as a result of the simulations are outputted so I have no need to have any graphics to see online at all. But how to make it turn off properly and how to make it work on a server thats a problem. Thanks for advice I will take a look on Havok, but what I am doing is not that much demanding on having very reach math libraries, I need just few but that are working precisely Ogre does have everything I need.
olbr
Kobold

Post by olbr »

Herb wrote:If you really just want to simulate physics or something on the server, you can do that without Ogre if you're using a separate physics package. Really it comes down to what Kojack says, do you really need to "render" ogre on the server. You can use a lot of Ogre functionality without rendering frames on the server.
Thanks,

Exactly I don't need to render anything, I am having all the output I need in files that I am getting during simulations. I described what I did in previous post replying to Kojack, so how can I use ogre functionality without rendering ? when I am turning off the screen simulation is just stopping, kind of my system is getting frozen. Probably i am just doing it wrong way.