A couple of questions about OGRE

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
jerrycao_1985
Gnoblar

A couple of questions about OGRE

Post by jerrycao_1985 »

hi guys

I'm all new to ORGE.(Or it has been a least six years since last time I touched it, I'm sure there are a lot of changes.)

Just a couple of questions:
1. What is the latest version of this game engine? (Saw there is a Ogre 2.0 topic in this forum.)
2. I've got the latest code for bitbucket. https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/overview. How can I build the source? Here is a page guiding me through it. http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... lding+Ogre However, not all the links are still valid, guess it could be a little outdated. Where can I get the right tutorial?

Thanks
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Re: A couple of questions about OGRE

Post by Kojack »

jerrycao_1985 wrote:1. What is the latest version of this game engine? (Saw there is a Ogre 2.0 topic in this forum.)
There's 3 versions that could apply to you:
Ogre 1.9: This is the latest stable version. It's probably the best place to start (the most stable one).
Ogre 1.10: This is in development. It's the default branch in the mercurial repository. 1.10 is mainly fixes to 1.9, but hasn't been officially finalised and released.
Ogre 2.0: This is a branch where 2.0 is being developed in parallel with 1.10. It's usable now, but a lot is still being written (new material system, etc). 2.0 is a major change which will break pretty much everything (90% of tutorials will be invalid, existing projects won't compile, etc). It will run faster and better, but it's not ready for the general public yet.

So for a beginner to Ogre (or someone who hasn't used it for a while) I'd say 1.9 is definitely the way to go. 1.10 isn't finalised but would be mostly the same, but 2.0 isn't documented yet and most people aren't using it so it's better for experienced Ogre devs for the time being.

I'm not sure of the current state of tutorials, but here's a quick build guide for 1.9 (quick because I need to get back to marking assignments).
- Get the v1-9 branch from mercurial. Let's say you place it in a directory called "Ogre".
- Get the dependencies repo from https://bitbucket.org/cabalistic/ogredeps . Put it is a directory called "Ogre/Dependencies". (Tortoise HG doesn't like cloning a repo into a subdirectory of another repo, it will try to change the path in the destination field. Just set it back to "Ogre/Dependencies").
- Run cmake's gui.
- In cmake, give it the Ogre directory and a build directory (I tend to use "Ogre/build1", but it can be anything).
- Hit the configure button three times (or until all the red entries go away).
- Hit the generate button. This will make all the project files.
- Find the project files and compile.

Many tutorials mention building the dependencies as a separate step. That isn't needed anymore, the cmake scripts will detect the dependencies and build them along with the rest of ogre.

Or you can grab the prebuilt visual studio sdks of 1.9. Not all compilers are released yet (there's visual studio 2008, 2010 and 2012 in 32 bit).
jerrycao_1985
Gnoblar

Post by jerrycao_1985 »

thank you for so many information.

I'm afraid that I didn't make it clear.

Actually I want to be a contributor to Orge 2.0.
Is there a bitbucket repository that holding the source?
I'd like to fork one, see if there is anything that I can do for it.

Or if you have an open-source team, I'd like to join in your team for development.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Ogre 2.0 is a branch in the official ogre repository on bitbucket. You can clone it and submit pull requests which the team will evaluate for inclusion.