Immediate Mode UI system

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Klaim
Old One

Immediate Mode UI system

Post by Klaim »

https://github.com/ocornut/imgui
ImGui is a bloat-free graphical user interface library for C++. It outputs vertex buffers that you can render in your 3D-pipeline enabled application. It is portable, renderer agnostic and carries minimal amount of dependencies (only 3 files are needed). It is based on an "immediate" graphical user interface paradigm which allows you to build simple user interfaces with ease.

ImGui is designed to enable fast iteration and allow programmers to create "content creation" or "debug" tools (as opposed to tools for the average end-user). It favors simplicity and thus lacks certain features normally found in more high-level libraries, such as string localisation.

ImGui is particularly suited to integration in 3D applications, fullscreen applications, embedded applications, games, or any applications on consoles platforms where operating system features are non-standard.

After ImGui is setup in your engine, you can use it like in this example:
ImGui outputs vertex buffers and simple command-lists that you can render in your application. Because it doesn't know or touch graphics state directly, you can call ImGui commands anywhere in your code (e.g. in the middle of a running algorithm, or in the middle of your own rendering process). Refer to the sample applications in the examples/ folder for instructions on how to integrate ImGui with your existing codebase.

------------------------------------

I read about this several times this week and thought it would be interesting to people around here.
I guess it would be nice to have a wrapper to inject this into Ogre but I don't have time to do this for now (except if I decide to do some gui in immediate mode but I'm not convinced for my current project).
hydexon
Gremlin

Re: Immediate Mode UI system

Post by hydexon »

I want this in OGRE too, i see which only requires access to the Vertex Buffer to render, too bad i don't know how to access the Vertex buffer of a viewport, (i only managed using the Mesh vertex buffer) And reminds me the developer tools of the Capcom's MT Framework in-house game engine.

Will be very useful for an lightweight debugging tools (and also lightweight content creation tools, like an in-game level editor), instead of Quake-style console.
drwbns
Orc Shaman

Re: Immediate Mode UI system

Post by drwbns »

Downloaded it, looks awesome. I'm going to try to integrate this into my Ogre app :) Thanks for the link!