Questions about RTS game development

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Spajk
Gnoblar

Questions about RTS game development

Post by Spajk »

As you can read from the title, I am trying to create an RPG game, but first, let me tell you something about my past experience.
In the past, I did a lot of scripting for games which provide a scripting platform, but I was mostly unhappy because of lack of power. So, I decided to try to make a game and for the genre, I chose RTS because it is my favorite.

Now, to make it clear, I don't want to make a huge popular game, heck, all I am trying to do for now is map ( terrain ) loading, physics, bird camera with moving, and unit movement ( path finding ). The problem is, I have no idea where to start, I read some articles on the wiki, but I don't really understand how does Orge's terrain system work. What would be the easiest way for both Ogre and Bullet to import a terrain?
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Questions about RTS game development

Post by spacegaier »

The Ogre sample "Sample_EndlessWorld" can be a starting point to get to know the Ogre::Terrain component.

Regarding Bullet: Have a look at "OgreBullet". Tat wrapper might have something in store for Ogre::Terrain.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Spajk
Gnoblar

Re: Questions about RTS game development

Post by Spajk »

Thanks for the quick response, I'll try to study the EndlessWorld sample, but for now, it seems kinda complicated :)