Refreshing Ogre

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
mmixLinus
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Refreshing Ogre

Post by mmixLinus »

Just noticed that the Download/Source page doesn't have any 1.9 packages. Maybe it's time? It would probably be good for the project to get some more file dates up there that are less than two or so years ago :wink:

/mmixLinus;
Powered by Ogre3D:
MMiX.Me 3D - 3D Music Player
Galaxy Navigator 3D - 2 million stars (ESA's Gaia satellite)
YouTube|Facebook
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Refreshing Ogre

Post by spacegaier »

You are definitively right, that we need to update the page, but I am not sure if we really need to provide those source packages any longer, since everyone can just as easily grab the code from BitBucket (either as a clone or as a regular non-Hg download).

Do you or any one think that they are still needed and cannot be replaced by a simple link to the BitBucket download page (with a note about tags and branches)?
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Can't it just link to the download?

https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/get/v1-9-0.zip
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
mmixLinus
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by mmixLinus »

The only reason, imho, for hosting zip files (packages) is that you get to post something that is evidence of recent activity. I think many newcomers are experienced enough to ask themselves "how active is this project?", and seeing recently uploaded packages, they may assume it is being actively maintained. That being said, it is very easy to go through the steps to actually check the amount of commits on bitbucket/ogre but that IS an extra step. I could be wrong: Maybe newcomers today don't stop by the download page at all, but browse bitbucket..

I think Zonder's link is great. Maybe, that and a "Date of last 1.9.0 commit: 7 October 2014"? Though automating the date is not trivial..