HwUF: Planned Diagrams and Schemes

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
paul424
Gnome

HwUF: Planned Diagrams and Schemes

Post by paul424 »

*Help with Ultra FAQ
Here I would like to coordinate creation of diagrams and schemes for Ultra FAQ :

* Re-creating the one of Render Cycle as in the http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... chitecture,
* Single inheritance diagrams for each one of the abstract classes
* Mark as dirty children/parent for update cycle mechanism for SceneNodes
* .... ?
More to come . Usually I use the Dia or Modelio when comes for UML, except the Modelio shows it's clumsiness when dealing with the Sequence Diagrams.
I will try to post diagrams if there is some tough problems with both of them .
Other mechanisms to show as diagrams are of course welcome to be proposed .
paul424
Gnome

Re: HwUF: Planned Diagrams and Schemes

Post by paul424 »

Seems in the Wiki directory I made a little mess , by not putting the images in proper directories ... How do I move the already uploaded pictures between the existing dirs ?
EDIT : Where do you wish the vector graphics from which bitmap schemes were generated to be put into ?
paul424
Gnome

Post by paul424 »

EDIT The question is of course how to represent the dependiencies induced bhy the RenderSystem class ..... initialization is by some obsure methods of Root, by what htey depend on ? And how to draw that hiding that one might use restoreConfig or showConfigDialog ?
paul424
Gnome

Post by paul424 »

Also I have problems with this wikiengine -- it won't thumbnail the SVG pictures
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

A few notes:
  • RenderTarget instead of RenderWindow. RenderWindow is just a specialization of RT.
  • I would rather say RenderTarget creates and owns the viewport. When the RT is destroyed, so is the viewport.
  • Indeed Camera takes a reference to the Viewport. To make this clearer, in Ogre 2.0 Camera::getViewport was renamed to Camera::getLastViewport.
  • I really don't remember if RenderWindows are owned by Root or if they hold a reference. However Root delegates creation of RenderTarget in general (including RenderWindows) to the RenderSystem. When the RS is shutdown, the RenderTargets probably become invalid (or dangling pointers?) because of how the APIs work.
  • Root takes references to the RenderSystem implementations. The RS may be created externally and inserted into Root, or created automatically for you using one of the common creation functions (which end up looking in plugins.cfg).
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

paul424 wrote:Also I have problems with this wikiengine -- it won't thumbnail the SVG pictures
SVG is vector it shouldn't need thumbnails
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
paul424
Gnome

Post by paul424 »

Is this importing meshes still valid ? ( 2008 ) .
What does it mean >>something to decide << in the upper arrow ? IS that format supported yet or not ?
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Whatever comes left to "Ogre XML" isn't really Ogre. It can be anything. Can be third party exporters, a very long chain of conversion between file types, a very simple one.
Basically the graph boils down to Third party software (3DS, Maya, Blender, ZBrush, etc) -> Exporters (third party or developed by Ogre team) / other (whatever can end up outputting to Ogre XML) -> Ogre XML -> XMLConverter -> .mesh .skeleton and other materials.

As for "Motion Capture Data -> Something to decide", Ogre never implemented IK (inverse kinematics) and there aren't plans for it (except for an interface in 2.0 so that users can hook up their own/third party IK solutions so that users can tell Ogre how to them; but that wouldn't belong to that graph)