Procedural terrain generation with fix structural constraint

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Sardarius
Gnoblar

Procedural terrain generation with fix structural constraint

Post by Sardarius »

Hi guys,

I recently joined a company which aims to simulate traffic in 3D. The current process decomposes in three steps :
_first step : the client design the lane network in a 2D editor. Lanes are geometrically configurable (e.g. lenght, curves, height, etc.). A lane might be a tunnel or a bridge.
_second step : automatic generation of the 3d terrain mesh from the lane network data : the terrain has to match the geometry and infrastructures of the network.
_third step : rendering of the previously generated terrain (+everything about the traffic simulation but this is out of my scope)

Today, my task is to build a new solution for the second and third steps, something more realistic and less buggy. The second step is for me particularly problematic : I've been googling a few hours but I didn't find any terrain generation tool which can integrate fix structural constraints.

So my questions are :
_Do you know some tool able to do this ?
_If not, how would you proceed to do this ?

Any other comment will be very appreciated (e.g. on the project feasibility, work load etc.)

Many thanks,
Sardarius
drwbns
Orc Shaman

Re: Procedural terrain generation with fix structural constr

Post by drwbns »

The first thing that pops into my head is using OgreProcedural to convert the lane data into actual 3d lanes. Check it out in the addons forums, it pretty extensive so far, but it just might accommodate everything you are trying to do.
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

You can find a lot of tools on http://vterrain.org/Packages/Com/

But you can also calculate it by yourself. Just fit the heightmap of your terrain to the high level of your streets. You could create the geometry of roads with OgreProcedural, but it's nearly impossible to create exact correct textures procedural. I tried it by myself :wink: If you find a solution, please tell me.
Sardarius
Gnoblar

Post by Sardarius »

Thank you very much for your swift responses. I will defintly look at the tools you proposed. Since I am alone on that project I am trying to find the best tools avaible so I can spare precious time.