Is there a mobile version of Ogre3D for ios/android?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
redgameboy
Gnoblar

Is there a mobile version of Ogre3D for ios/android?

Post by redgameboy »

I tried ogre3d for my android games without RTSS, Terrain components. The game's performance is not very steady. Sometimes it slows down suddenly for unknown reason. I think there should be space to optimize for mobile app/game. But it's a huge project for single person.

Do you have any suggestions to remove some unnecessary features from the main branch?
c6burns
Beholder

Re: Is there a mobile version of Ogre3D for ios/android?

Post by c6burns »

It's not about removing features from OgreMain so much as figuring out where your particular performance hiccups come from. I have a steady framerate in my android project and I'm using the terrain component. If you create a terrain with too many vertices or a terraingroup with multiple terrains and try to page them, you might run into some trouble. Another thing in my experience that can cause hiccups is software animation.

Also it depends what hardware you are targetting. What a galaxy nexus can handle vs a nexus 5 is night and day.
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

ogre 2.0 should fix a lot of the speed/performance/stability issues - however it is not ready yet...
for now you can try optimizing your code, and maybe downgrading some of your assets...
or wait one/two years until mobile cpu/gpu catch/cache-up...
the woods are lovely dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and miles to code before i sleep
and miles to code before i sleep..

coolest videos link( two minutes paper )...
https://www.youtube.com/user/keeroyz/videos
redgameboy
Gnoblar

Post by redgameboy »

I did try the terrain component, it's very slow.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Hard to give you good advice when your description of the issue is "it's slow". I don't use the default material generator, I made my own just to use a simple material with my own shaders. The default one probably tanks your framerate since (at least in other rendersystems) it does normal / specular / parallax / lightmap / decal / cleans out your garage / does your laundry too. Also as I said before it matters what size your terrain is. Mo money (aka vertices) = mo problems

My current project is kinda like a skydiving simulator where you shoot a penguin out of a cannon and skydive through a series of rings toward landing zones on the ground. I'm getting good framerates, and they are pretty consistent (no spiking). I did a fair amount of profiling work though, but I didn't have to make any modifications to Ogre (except some minor EGL config stuff).
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

skydiving simulator where you shoot a penguin out of a cannon
poor penguin...
funny i just had a thought last week about a physics demo using penguin in an "angry bird 3d" style game...
starting with a title : "no penguins were abused during the making of this demo..."
i guess it's penguins time to shine :D

c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

I'll post more about it when more of the artwork and UI are finalized. Hopefully it'll make a few people chuckle.

My point in mentioning here is just to say that you can render fairly great looking outdoor scenes on mobile hardware using the terrain component and paged geometry, but you have to be careful how you do it because the GPUs are not very powerful. Especially, for example, if your device's native resolution is very large, so you are trying to render at 1920x1200 (new nexus 7). There are a lot of reasons performance can be slow so it helps to be as specific as possible about your goals and environment so you can get the best advice.
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Post by frostbyte »

i wonder if using nasty tricks like render to texture with half the resolusion and then blit to screen( using good interpolation )
will gain any performance , and what's more important - how noticable will it be with such small sceens?

c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

No, mobile devices use hardware scaling. So no matter what size window you create it is scaled for you. A classic mistake in mobile gaming is creating a window at the device's native resolution (eg. a 1080p window on an ouya which is powered by a tegra3)