Lighting Types

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
cuppasoup
Gnoblar

Lighting Types

Post by cuppasoup »

I know ogre provides point and ambient lighting, but does it also provide directional lighting, spotlight lighting, area lighting, and volumetric lighting? I'm quite new to Ogre.

-Thanks

PS
If there's an easier way to navigate the ogre library, I would be happy to learn how to find my own answers.
c6burns
Beholder

Re: Lighting Types

Post by c6burns »

http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/api/1.9/clas ... light.html

Here you will see the existing light types are point, directional and spotlight. There is no fixed function support for area or volumetric lighting. So you'd have to be doing most of that work in shaders after which it would be trivial to extend Ogre for those light types. The API documentation and Ogre Manual are great places to start, and to keep coming back to as a reference.
KhasanKishiev
Gnoblar

Re: Lighting Types

Post by KhasanKishiev »

There are three types of lighting that Ogre provides:

1. Point: Point light sources emit light from them in every direction.

2. Spotlight: A spotlight works exactly like a flashlight does. You have a position where the light starts, and then light heads out in a direction. You can also tell the light how large of an angle to use for the inner circle of light and the outer circle of light (you know how flashlights are brighter in the center, then lighter after a certain point?).

3. Directional: Directional light simulates far away light that hits everything in the scene from a direction. Lets say you have a night time scene and you want to simulate moonlight. You could do this by setting the ambient light for the scene, but that's not exactly realistic since the moon does not light everything equally (neither does the sun). One way to do this would be to set a directional light and point in the direction the moon would be shining.