Want to make aaa game engine

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
pattyouf
Gnoblar

Post by pattyouf »

Can ogre do that? Or will i reach just bbb. I tried the samples but it chrashes all the time. My idea is to make a singleton where the whole mess is attached to a pointer. I have seen that style in the api too. Seems to be the right way because this bunch of dino c++ code already reaches its second decade right? When something like this can live for so long it must be good. I think ogre3d schould get a place in a museum of art, because its already a fossil pampered by a community that has a dream. A dream that may never be fullfilled even when computer games gave been forgotten by mankind in a distant future. Whats that dream? The perfect graphics engine, an engine whatever that means but an ENGINE. I know what people leads to never stop dreaming that one. Its the warm feeling of good old times where a c++ framework had a meaning whatever that was and where everything was so heavy and bold because a compiler needed so long to compile it. Thats ok, ogre has already by far exceeded its live line. So there is no way back after rewriting the graphics ENGINE again and again searching for the Jevel that will never show. Keep up the granny stuff!
PhilipLB
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student

Re: Want to make aaa game engine

Post by PhilipLB »

Weird.
Google Summer of Code 2012 Student
Topic: "Volume Rendering with LOD aimed at terrain"
Project links: Project thread, WIKI page, Code fork for the project
Mentor: Mattan Furst

Volume GFX, accepting donations.
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

I know this is a trololo post, but ok, I'll bite.
Can ogre do that?
It's hard to define "AAA" outside of possibly budget. But those numbers are not released, I can guess that there was at least 3 massive budget games made with Ogre by Runic alone. I'm sure there are a number of others that approached the $1,000,000 budget mark or more.

In terms of sales, there are at least 2 games that have over 1 million copies sold. 14 games with over 100,000 copies sold. (Only counting Steam owners.) You might scoff at the numbers, but that puts them in line with middle tier AAA games like FIFA Street for Xbox.
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84762
http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?page=52 ... e=&sort=GL
pattyouf wrote: Or will i reach just bbb.
Unless you have massive amounts of money or massive amounts of talent, you won't reach AAA levels no matter what you do or what engine you use. Not to say BBB is a bad thing, but you should be realistic in your goals.
I tried the samples but it chrashes all the time.

Depending on which version of Ogre you're using, the issue is probably between the chair and the computer. My advise is to skip the samples, go straight to using Basic Ogre Framework or Advance Ogre Framework and do the tutorials.
Seems to be the right way because this bunch of dino c++ code already reaches its second decade right? When something like this can live for so long it must be good.
Funny because you're most likely using Windows which has code that is roughly 25 years old AND/OR a Unix derivative which has code approaching around 40 years of age or so...
Age of code means jack shit. The only thing that matters is: does it do what you need it to do? Does it do it well enough not to warrant the cost (both time and money) of changing code or rewriting code...
Depending on what you're trying to do, Ogre 1.x is good enough. And if not, you can try Ogre 2.x or move to a different engine.
I think ogre3d schould get a place in a museum of art, because its already a fossil pampered by a community that has a dream. A dream that may never be fullfilled even when computer games gave been forgotten by mankind in a distant future. Whats that dream? The perfect graphics engine, an engine whatever that means but an ENGINE. I know what people leads to never stop dreaming that one. Its the warm feeling of good old times where a c++ framework had a meaning whatever that was and where everything was so heavy and bold because a compiler needed so long to compile it. Thats ok, ogre has already by far exceeded its live line. So there is no way back after rewriting the graphics ENGINE again and again searching for the Jevel that will never show. Keep up the granny stuff!
No idea what you're going on about. I assume English isn't your first language and you're trying to be funny or insulting. Dunno. Anyhoo there are at least 56 commercial Ogre games released on Steam. An unknown amount that have not been released on Steam or on consoles. Of those 56 games on Steam, 4 have been released just this year, 18 since the start of 2015. I can think of at least 3 more that should be releasing in 2017, but certainly there will be a lot more. With that in mind, Ogre isn't dead. It isn't "just a dream" for some people. Ogre is, even after 16 years of life, still viable and widely used. It will remain so with the upcoming 2.x series.

I think someone who can't compile and run sample files should be commenting on the age and utility of the code that is used perfectly fine in hundreds of products.
areay
Bugbear

Post by areay »

I just want to chime in with appreciation of this flamebait

* Starts off seeming like a legit newbie question
* "whole mess is attached to a pointer". You should try the OgreGameManufacturer project in the FAQ/forums *OgreGameMfg->setQuality("AAA")
* Dino c++. Nice wide-reanging neg
* Ranting about dreams and the future of mankind. Love it.
* Another c++ rant.
* Sarcastic encouragement
* Poor/Drunk english throughout

It's like a fine wine.