Source Repository Confusion

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
sevketcaba
Gnoblar

Source Repository Confusion

Post by sevketcaba »

Hello everyone,

I am a bit confused about the official repository of Ogre3D.

There is this one, https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre/src and then there is this one https://github.com/OGRECave/ogre . The github one says that, it's the official mirror, but commit messages of both repos do not match, and even the branch names also. For example, 2-1-hybrid-rendering does not exist on github.

On the other hand, the contributers of both branches seem to match (Both darksylinc in github and Mathias Goldberg -dark_sylinc- on bitbucket have the same avatar for example :)).

Can someone explain, which one is official, and if both are, which one do you suggest to use since they don't seem synced?
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Source Repository Confusion

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hi, https://bitbucket.org/sinbad/ogre is the official one. I've been actively pushing a lot of commits to the 2.1 branch (which is stable)

OGRECave started as a fork of Ogre focusing development on the "default" branch (which holds what will become Ogre 1.10) which was getting abandoned otherwise, but a few weeks ago the one who forked it was brought into the team; and he is now bringing most/all of those changes back to the official one.

Sorry for the confusion.
sevketcaba
Gnoblar

Post by sevketcaba »

Hi again, thank you for this quick response.

It would be nice, if the github page says that it's the official? fork, but not the mirror, because it's not a mirror. That's where all the confusion starts. I prefer git over bitbucket, so i just wanted to make sure if i miss anything if i go with the github one. Since 2.1 is just an experimental and personal interest for me, i will go with the "2-1-hybrid-rendering" branch on bitbucket.

By the way, i appreciate your contributions on the open source community, and thank you for all your efforts. That gives us a big opportunity to learn and produce.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

I strongly suggest you go for the "2-1" branch, not "2-1-hybrid-rendering".
I'm actively working on the later and it is not stable; once it stabilizes it will be merged with 2.1.

See FAQ entry.
sevketcaba
Gnoblar

Post by sevketcaba »

Wow, when i last checked the 2.1 FAQ page, there were no words about the 2.1-hybrid-rendering branch, i guess i have to check it more frequently, my bad, sorry for that.

Like i said, 2.1 is just experimental and for personal use for me right now, so that's why i wanted to see what hybrid-rendering does, and that really excites me. But, unfortunately i am not that experienced to contribute to the project, so i will take your advice and go with the 2.1 and have patience with the hybrid-rendering.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

If you are curious hybrid rendering mixes Deferred with Forward (requires two passes!).

Some stuff (at the time being, Directional light's Shadow Mapping + Screen Space Reflections; but in the future likely Ambient Occlusion and perhaps something else) is done deferred; while lighting/shading is still done using Clustered Forward or Forward3D (depends on what you chose).