Text Rendering problems / behavior

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
HBerger
Gnoblar

Text Rendering problems / behavior

Post by HBerger »

Hallo all,

I need to render some text in schedular form. Because we render also on VR Devices, i cant use an Overlay.
So i render the panels (transparent backround) and the Text manually via Manual Objects.

In my first try, i rendered the text for one cell via texture copy. Aka i had a fix Texture for every cell, and copied the glyphs manually letter for letter from the font texture to the cell texture.
of course, this was very slow but worked ^^ I only got massive problems with the render times ^^

now Im rendering the text also via Manual Object in the cells.
So i have a Manual Object with a section for the borders, and a section for the glyphs, the vertex count for borders is fix, and the vertex count for letters very dynamically count.

The performance is much better then texture copy version, but i have some strange behavior.
On an nvidia card its working fine.
But on some intel cards, it working fine in debug mode ...
in release mode the text is simply not shown.
With logging im checked the render calls (beginSection, output the vertex data etc. )
The calls are done, with the same vertex data and texture coordinates. but simply not shown.
I also checked the the font texture ... in an other Manual Object the whole Font texture is rendered as expected in release mode(so no texture problems).

Logfiles: no suspicious output, its looking "normal"
depth_write, and depth_check are off in all Materials for the Panels and Text
the manual Objects are rendering in RENDER_QUEUE_OVERLAY - 1
Using Ogre 1.9 , 64 bit build on windows
"old"/standard OpenGL rendersystem

Does anyone have similar behavior ?

Ciao ...
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Text Rendering problems / behavior

Post by paroj »

if you can reproduce it with default branch, we could fix it there and then backport the fix.