Ogre Documentation and possibilities questions

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
Elendil
Gnoblar

Ogre Documentation and possibilities questions

Post by Elendil »

Hello

I am interest in Ogre 3d. But before decide to use it, i have questions.

1. I download Ogre 1.10 (I hope it is good choice, because I want have my game run on older graphics and have stable Ogre). Are documentation in Wiki relevant for v 1.10?

2. It is possible create terrain holes? I only need create area in terrain where will be holes for cave and for house / building with underground area maybe connected with cave. This cave or underground will be created in some 3D modeler (Blender). I searched on the forum, I didn't find much information about that, most of them are old.

3. When I have handmade terrain splitted in to smaller areas and roads, can Ogre join the splitted pieces like one mesh? I mean, when terrain or some mesh object is splitted, and is used light on it, you can see edges between meshes. This is unwanted effect, and I want join the splitted meshes in to one in Ogre. If yes, can have meshes different textures? For example, Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 have this, when you build world in editor, you have small pieces, but whole world looks like big one, without visible edges between blocks.

4. How good is Ogre renderer? Can I have lot of animated objects / characters in outdoor area like forest and mountains in background as part of playable world?
tod
Troll

Re: Ogre Documentation and possibilities questions

Post by tod »

1. Most seem to be accurate for 1.7, maybe 1.8, but it should be good enough if you don't do something very strange.
2. The is short reply to a similar question on the forum, Sinbad recommended using the stencil buffer to cut holes in terrain (not sure what that means).
3. ???
4. This is an endless discussion. No known answer exists. I think Ogre is good enough, but that's just my opinion.
Elendil
Gnoblar

Post by Elendil »

Thanks for answers, if anyone have something to say to my questions, please write.

3. I have this in Blender:
link to image1
You can see this terrain is composed with 9 blocks or pieces.

and I expect result in Ogre this:
link to image2
Terrain composed with 9 blocsk looks like one.
tod
Troll

Post by tod »

Not sure what you're getting at?
Ogre's own terrain system splits the mesh in multiple chunks. The inaccuracies between chunks are masked by "skirts", meaning just a vertical border going down. You can sometimes see the skirts, but only in certain spots and if you look very, very closely at the terrain, which users probably wont.
If you cut the mesh manually I would expect the result to look OK. I could see a problem with lighting, or with different lod levels maybe, but just as corner cases, or normal errors that nobody would really notice.
Maybe just use the terrain system?
Elendil
Gnoblar

Post by Elendil »

The first image is terrain composed with 9 pieces of smaller terrain pieces. Created by me. It is not generated from some terrain generator. It is created only for example. When I wil be creating world, it will be much complicated - roads, rivers etc.. Problem with this technique is, it will be visible how world is composed (image 1) what is unwanted effect. And I want to know, if Ogre is able to make smooth the difference between objects and make it looks like on second image. Hope it is more clear.

PS: I edited my post with images, to change point from 4 to 3 because I make mistake. And post disappeared, because it must approve.
BohdanKornienko
Halfling

Post by BohdanKornienko »

Elendil wrote:Hello

I am interest in Ogre 3d. But before decide to use it, i have questions.

1. I download Ogre 1.10 (I hope it is good choice, because I want have my game run on older graphics and have stable Ogre). Are documentation in Wiki relevant for v 1.10?
Tutorials on wiki relevant to 1.9 version. You will face problems running those examples on 1.10.
Until wiki updated I would suggest you to use 1.9 for sake of study using tutorials.

Having those knowledge you can easily port your code somewhere where there is no BasicTutorialApplication class in your 1.10 applicaion.
Elendil
Gnoblar

Post by Elendil »

Thanks BohdanKornienko it is really helpful. I hope, wiki will be updated very soon.
tod
Troll

Post by tod »

Elendil wrote: And I want to know, if Ogre is able to make smooth the difference between objects and make it looks like on second image.
There is no default component to do what you want AFAIK.