Prerequisite for Ogre3d?

Get answers to all your basic programming questions. No Ogre questions, please!
Freiza
Gnoblar

Prerequisite for Ogre3d?

Post by Freiza »

Is it necessary to learn Opengl/Directx before learning Ogre3d?
What are Prerequisites for Ogre3d.
frostbyte
Orc Shaman

Re: Prerequisite for Ogre3d?

Post by frostbyte »

c++ is a must...lot of patience is also a big advantage as ogre is not the easiest library to start with...
for playing around with ogre( create a window, 3d scene, camera, animation etc ) opengl/directx prior knowhow is not really neccessery,
but understanding of the Rendering pipeline and any shader language knowledge and is always recommedned( applies for all render engines... )

low level Materials are composed of shaders which are written either in CG ,opengl( glsl ) or directX( hlsl ) but beside that ogre takes care for all the rest
there are ways to export shaders from the ART software( e.g BLENDER ) but i'm not sure how that works out...

regardless you can use old style fixed-Pipeline materials( ogre 1.x only ) or modern PBS materials( ogre 1.10 and 2.1 )
in which case you can define the materials either by a simple script or programmatically and avoid dealing with shader stuff

for getting a taste, i suggest you start with ogre 1.9, download the tutorial FrameWork from the WIKI and experiment a bit
have fun...
the woods are lovely dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and miles to code before i sleep
and miles to code before i sleep..

coolest videos link( two minutes paper )...
https://www.youtube.com/user/keeroyz/videos