WIP: Fragfist - UPDATE 04: GC DEMO FINAL -- Demo playable!

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Phantom
Greenskin

Post by Phantom »

Wow! Very nice work. Downloading demo as I type.
Sindwiller
Halfling

Post by Sindwiller »

Really impressing.

(No Wonder, some People of the Games Academy made it :D )

That is a good example of using Shadows right.

mfg, Sindwiller
Jens_K
Kobold

Fragfist Update II

Post by Jens_K »

Hello everybody,
Good news from Fragfist!
We've finished our second milestone yesterday.
Here is what has changed since the last version:
Milestone 02
Chase Camera.........................done
Script files................................done
new Level................................done
new buggy...............................done
static levelgeometry..................done

furthermore we accomplished some points from milestone 3 and 4 ;):
detailmaps on terrain................done
cubemap on buggy...................done

Nogredex_Shot01
Nogredex_Shot02

I didn't want to Update here until Milestone 02 was completely through. So sorry for the delay.

in detail:
With the mighty dotCFG script files you are able to change properties of the Tomahawk-Buggy, it's wheels and the terrain.
Properties like: gravity, all kinds of friction, enginepower, suspension damping etc... it's all customizable now!
We already spent some time on tweaking the attributes and found an acceptable setup.
It ain't a challenge anymore to ride the whole track :) IT'S FUN!

Please try the latest demo: Fragfist_Dirttrack03

We're lookig forward to your feedback.
Please report everthing that's cool or off.
thx guys and keep up the good work.

Jens.
Last edited by Jens_K on Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jens_K
Kobold

Post by Jens_K »

BTW:
Thanks to all the people who already tested a version of Fragfist and posted their comments here. Your input is most welcome and motivating.
I hope you guys stick to Fragfist until the very master-version. ;)

@sindwiller: thanks for the praise man. :)
@phantom: thx for downloading, hope it's fun.
@jacmoe+DWORD: Your whish is our order :P
--->check out the chasecam!
Marcel_S
Gnoblar

Post by Marcel_S »

Hi everybody!

I just want to introduce myself.
My name is Marcel and I am a meber of Fragfist, too.

Have fun with our new Update!! hope you like it!
MadHed
Kobold

Post by MadHed »

:D Yeah, It's gonne be a good time at the Games Convention ;)
Let us know what you think.
Jelly
Halfling

Post by Jelly »

That's wicked!! I really like the buggy, great model you've made there. Here is my setup and details of some bugs I've found. I'll play with it some more when I have time.

P4 3GHz, nVidia 6800GT - 1024x768, no AA - 180-250fps.

- When using OpenGL, nothing is textured.

- There is a constant vertical jitter of the camera that increases with speed. It gets really bad when going fast. The buggy is largely uneffected as it's the focus of the camera. There is a slight horizontal effect too when turning. The whole effect is massively reduced when I enable vSync, which caps the framerate to 60fps in my case. Perhaps try debugging the chase cam using a low-poly mesh instead of the buggy, disable shadows, etc. to get the framerate up too see the effect more clearly.

- When you 'grab' the car and lift it into the air, it sort of flies around for a bit, slowly coming towards the ground. He he.

That's it! I can't wait to see the next version. :)

- Jelly.
MadHed
Kobold

Post by MadHed »

Hi Jelly :D

Yes, I also noticed that strange Jittering you mentioned.:oops: I am working on it...
When you 'grab' the car and lift it into the air, it sort of flies around for a bit, slowly coming towards the ground. He he.
That's called gravity, dude. :wink: [/quote]
Jelly
Halfling

Post by Jelly »

Cool.

That's some crazy ass gravity! ;)

- Jelly.
Chattanoo
Gnoblar

the demo is missing MSVC*.dll files

Post by Chattanoo »

i was too scared to download them from the top search results in google, since i didnt recognize them as big sites or companies
walaber
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by walaber »

the new demo is looking nice, I think the vehicle physics have improved much.

the vehicle really resists sliding side-ways, to the point of feeling awkward at some times.

however, the graphics and especially the suspension look beautiful! :D
Go Go Gadget OGRE!!
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Definately a nice demo! :D
I like the improved vehicle physics - and the chase camera is great. :)

Really looking forward to some fragging! :P
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Jens_K
Kobold

Bugfix and Feedbck

Post by Jens_K »

Hey guys,
I had a problem running the Demo on my home system (Win2K). Ogre was missing some d3dx9_25.dlls O_o!!
At the Academy we have WinXP... don't know if that has something to do with it. I searched the net for informations about the missing files and found out that it's due to bad compiling! ---> Stephan there's a finger pointing your direction :P
Furthermore I read that Battlefield2 (at least the demo) has the same problem. At least we have famous company^^.
Long story short I found a dotZIP file in that BF2Forum which contained all the necessary data.
If you are experiencing the same problem:
Simply extract this archive to the Fragfist 'release' folder and you're fine!
Hope that helps.

jacmoe:
I like the improved vehicle physics - and the chase camera is great. Really looking forward to some fragging!
-Thanks man, yes we love the chasecam too, it just needs to be closer to the buggy ;)
About the fragging: We will have a working gatlinggun for GC already! :twisted:

walaber:
the vehicle really resists sliding side-ways, to the point of feeling awkward at some times.
however, the graphics and especially the suspension look beautiful!
-thanks for your feedback walaber, you're right about the sliding-resistance.
However there are still two attributes to come for the dotCFG files, one determines whether the car is front-wheel drive or
rear-wheel drive and
the other gives you the opportunity to assign different friction values to rear and front wheels. Lets hope we can perform some insane power-slides in the end.
About the suspension: it's pure eyecandy to me too^^

Chattanoo:
-Dayum! I hope Stephan knows a solution! I really want you to get this demo running, since you've already downloaded it.
if you would post the files you're missing I could help you out with a copy of mine? Or have you tried to create empty dotDLLs?

@all thx for testing and watching.
Jens.
Chattanoo
Gnoblar

Post by Chattanoo »

i only ran into one error dialog so far.
says it is missing MSVCP71.DLL

from previous experience trying to compile ogre with the beta 2 of VS2005, i asumme it will also ask for another MSVC?71.DLL at least, and maybe
also the debug versions of both files? (with a 'd' at the end of the filename, but before the extension).
i was able to compile the ogre demo .exe's but they gave me the same error dialogs as Fragfist when i tried to run them.

i ended up deleting VS2005 & going with the Code::Blocks/MingW solution instead, so i never did fix that problem.
MadHed
Kobold

Post by MadHed »

Hi there:

Chattanoo:
Hm, my first guess is, that I have compiled the game, linking the runtime library dynamic not static. So it searches for the corresponding dll at load time. It's strange that they (microsoft) don't distribute those files with their OS.

(Oh yes, just had a quick look at my project settings. Runtime library: Multithread-DLL. Will fix that, sorry guys...)

the d3dx9_25.dll issue:
At the games academy we have the newest dx-sdk installed. (april2005whatever) It's really nice except that the d3dx library is now in a seperate dll. I think the problem is that many users don't have the newest dx version installed and hence, are missing this file.

It's also a mess to change the working environment so often. There are 5 or what different versions of the DX9 sdk out there. Compile ogre with one and your game with another and BANG!. You're lucky if it just crashes at startup... :D

The bottom line:
I will compile the demo with statically-linked-rt libs and upload an update, only containing the new .exe. So you don't have to download all the assets again.

cyall
SphericalByte
Gnoblar

Post by SphericalByte »

Hi Ogreforum and hi fragfist team

Nice demo you built there. I have to say that the buggy drives alot better than in the first test you posted.
What made me post here is a little bug with the collision detection(?) I discovered, i.e. you can sink into the ground a little. If you turn to the right from your startposition you can see a hill. Drive up the hill and then to the very right of it. When you now drive downhill you should see how your buggy drives under the surface of the hill:
Image yes - thats a part of the buggy you can see in the image center

Happy bugfixing ;)

SphericalByte
SuprChikn
Bugbear

Post by SuprChikn »

Hmm, I'm getting a couple of weird things happening too.

For one, the tomahawk and most of the terain are not textured (but the little wall and some of the lanscape is).
Secondly, the shadows seem to be going through the terrain, and showing up on terrain lower down. I dont know if that's an issue with the type of shadows being used or not, rather than a specifig bug in how you're using them.

This screenshot should show both problems (the red circle shows the extra shadow on terrain lower down than my current position):

As for the lack of textures, having a look through the ogre.log I've found a few issues:

Code: Select all

22:39:19: Error in material ff_tomwheel at line 28 of tom_gcfinal.material: Bad specular attribute, wrong number of parameters (expected 2, 4 or 5)
22:39:19: Error in material ff_tomchassis at line 114 of tom_gcfinal.material: Bad specular attribute, wrong number of parameters (expected 2, 4 or 5)
22:39:19: Warning: material Material/null has no supportable Techniques on this hardware, it will be rendered blank.
22:39:19: Warning: material ff_tomchassis has no supportable Techniques on this hardware, it will be rendered blank.
and thats followed by a whole bunch of the same type of error:

Code: Select all

22:39:19: Skeleton: Loading ./tom_wheel2.skeleton
22:39:19: An exception has been thrown!

-----------------------------------
Details:
-----------------------------------
Error #: 8
Function: ResourceGroupManager::openResource
Description: Cannot locate resource ./tom_wheel2.skeleton in resource group General.. 
File: \ogrenew\OgreMain\src\OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp
Line: 499
Stack unwinding: <<beginning of stack>>
22:39:19: Unable to load skeleton ./tom_wheel2.skeleton for Mesh tom_wheel2.mesh. This Mesh will not be animated. You can ignore this message if you are using an offline tool.
22:39:19: Warning: material ff_tomwheel has no supportable Techniques on this hardware, it will be rendered blank.
followed by that same "Error #: 8" for "./dirttrack_collmesh.skeleton" and "./dt##.skeleton" where the ## are numbers 01 to 19.

Oh, and here's an image showing how some of the textures do work:

This is on a GF2 Pro 64MB, AMD Duron 750 @885, Win2k, and I was using directX9. Will try now with OpenGL...

... Nope, exactly the same thing in OpenGL.
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

They use hsaders adn currently don't have a fallback material, i had the same problem on my gf4 GO!
phear hingo

My Webpage
BlasterN
Gnome

Post by BlasterN »

- The buggy need more stability in the curves.
- More power in the engine. There are mountains that you cant 'climp'.
- About the camera. I think is good but if you try to climp a mountain and release the acelerator the car goes down & the camera shake during 3-4 seconds & then change to front view. Correct this putting a max angle to the angle X^Y.
- the shock absorber in the car must be more hard. seem to soft, and the buggy jump a lot.

I drive a buggy & are more stable. All i say if to make it more playable it's very personal ¬¬

Really impresive physics & graphics (a pitty that i see it white too, ATI 9200).

What is the VS & PS version you are using ?

Waiting to the next release :!:
Works:
MapToMesh | Bengine B9 @ www.sourceforge.net/projects/maptoogremesh/
3DWorldStudio exporter@ www.blastern.info
MadHed
Kobold

Post by MadHed »

:D hi there, and again thanks for all your help reporting bugs etc.

@NO TEXTURES APPEARING:
We are using Pixel- and vertexshaders for everything. Haven't written a fallback yet. The walls only use good ol' fixed-function-pipeline yet.

The .program file says: vs1_1 and ps2_0 although I believe the shaders could work on older cards too. I'm not an expert with those things and just started writing shaders with the beginning of the project. I anyone of you IS a shader maniac ;) I would appreciate any help/information you could give us. thx :)

As for the shaders not appearing in OpenGL. I think I will just have to put in the correct fp1xx vpxxx constants in the .program files... don't I?

@COLLISION DETECTION BUG:
yikes!!! Yes there's a bug where the graphics and physics meshes are not correlating...we'll have to fix that. sorry :oops:

@SHADOW APPEARING BEHIND HILLS:
The terrain currently is not lit at all! With a proper lightmap on the terrain the (ghost)stencil shadows will not appear to be ghosts anymore. Maybe we will switch to shadowmaps later for improved performance and visual reasons. stencil shadows are really nice. But with the amount of objects we plan to use, they would most likely kill any modern computer... :D
Also shadowmaps give you a more consistant look than stencil shadows, if you mix them with lightmaps. (at least that's what I think)

Also I'd like to apologize for not uploading the promised patch. I'm currently writing my semester exams at university... and will probably
have to wait with coding until I have finished them Wednesday next week.

P.S.
Big Big Big Thanks to all of you. You are a great help. Even if you don't report bugs, it's always wonderful to see someone appreciating your work.

'Til next time.... dada.
Jens_K
Kobold

Post by Jens_K »

Stephan i love you! 8)
Good luck for your exams!

@ogre people: Thanks for reporting!
read you soon.
bye.

:)
Phantom
Greenskin

Post by Phantom »

Jens_K wrote: @phantom: thx for downloading, hope it's fun.
It was very fun. Sorry for not posting again, I was too busy showing it to my brother. ;)

I can't wait till' I'm on a computer where I can try the new version. (This one doesn't quite cut it :))

You seem like an awesomely competent team, keep up the awesome work!
Phantom
Greenskin

Post by Phantom »

Surprise surprise, this pc did cut it. (At 640x480, 20fps, no textures. After disabling the d3d9 plugin in plugins.cfg)

And it was fun. Even more so after I doubled the buggys power in the cfg. ;)

One thing I seemed to notice though was that the buggy doesn't seem to rotate around it's center of gravity. That, or the wheels are damn heavy ;) But in any case if you send the car rotating in the air you will notice that it somehow doesn't look quite right.

Other than that it's looking great!
EDIT: Hmm Just founds the CMassOfsset variables :oops:
I'll see If I can tweak it a bit... :)
MadHed
Kobold

Post by MadHed »

long time no see, eh?! :)

Well I successfuly did my exams at uni (except one... yay. :( )
The game has evolved very! much since the last post.
Actually I'd say it definetely looks absolutely superior to the maya shots
on the first page.

We will present the current version on wednesday at the games academy. That's the version that will be featured at the games convention.

The current version is really demanding (demanding as for hardware requirements). We will also upload a video showing off the current state of the game for the people not able to run it (sorry guys.. :( )

-The taxi model is ragdoll-rigged. You can crash into it and let the doors,trunk,hood fly away. (I love to do this...) :D

-The track is playable. Checkpoints, start/finish, clock

-DirectSound manager class with ogg/vorbis support. (background music and shattering metal.. :twisted:)

-volumetric fog for a nice ambiente

-spinning wheels (finally, yes....) ;)

-7(?) different cameras

-particle systems

Update will be available in the next 1-2 days... so stay tuned.

(Btw. I'm writing this after I got home from the havanna bar in berlin. Hope my team won't kill me for this... :D )

here's a preview for y'all ;)

Cyall
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by nfz »

Wicked screen shot!