ogreSwf/vektrix

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
stoneCold
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

ogreSwf/vektrix

Post by stoneCold »

[edit]:
[ogreSwf] BETA 0.1 (source+video)
[UPDATE] ogreSwf refractored + independent from gameSwf
[Project restarted] vektrix - current state
[vektrix] source code comitted

[vektrix] MIT License change + official forums

vektrix is an open source/cross-platform/free API for embedding flash applications into your own projects (completely independent from Macromedia's/Adobe's flash player).
I hope you like it / feel free to give comments, proposals, wanted features, etc.

please discuss & ask questions regarding vektrix over at the dedicated vektrix forums, thanks :D

any help to support & develop vektrix is much appreciated :wink:
Last edited by stoneCold on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Lee04
Minaton

Really nice

Post by Lee04 »

Hi

Really nice.

Could this be made to work with CEGUI somehow?

For Flash menues interfaces in Ogre. Organic menues etc.

Keep up the nice work

Lee04
Ph.D. student in game development
WhiteNoise
Gnoblar

Post by WhiteNoise »

Looks great! You might want to think about adapting GameMonkey script to execute the actionscript if you do implement scripting. GameMonkey script is already very similar to Actionscript (only a few differences). It will be a big job though! Perhaps you could just implement a subset of Flash's features (maybe flash 5.0 level actionscript would be a good target)..
stoneCold
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: Really nice

Post by stoneCold »

Lee04 wrote:Could this be made to work with CEGUI somehow?
For Flash menues interfaces in Ogre. Organic menues etc.
Its nothing else than a dynamic ogre texture, so if you can assign an ogre material or even just a texture to cegui somehow it's very possible to use it. I think the ogre cegui demo features a rendertotexture, this is nothing else except you provide the SwfTexture's name to cegui.
WhiteNoise wrote:Looks great! You might want to think about adapting GameMonkey script to execute the actionscript if you do implement scripting. GameMonkey script is already very similar to Actionscript (only a few differences). It will be a big job though! Perhaps you could just implement a subset of Flash's features (maybe flash 5.0 level actionscript would be a good target)..
Will have a look on it, gameSwf supports out of the box basic AS + flash5, as said I would really like to bring it up to AS2.0 and flash8. There are several open-source flash players currently being developed, maybe I can attract some of the guys to help me a bit, maybe one of this is even in here? :wink:
my tweets | www.fuse-software.com | home of vektrix (Flash GUI for Ogre3D) and caspin (ActionScript 3 Virtual Machine Wrapper)
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Haven't looked at GameSWF nor watched the video (yet), but does this mean that we can have true 3D menus? Like a panel on a door? With keyboard input and mouse clicks? :)
<edit>
Just read that it does! Awesome! :)
</edit>
<edit_again>
Watched the video! Impressive! :D
</edit_again>
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
stoneCold
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by stoneCold »

jacmoe wrote:Haven't looked at GameSWF nor watched the video (yet), but does this mean that we can have true 3D menus? Like a panel on a door? With keyboard input and mouse clicks? :)
If you mean 2D menues (panel :wink:) at 3D objects (door :wink:) then I'd say, that's exactly what I'm aiming for :)
but the possibilities to use it are endless :wink:
my tweets | www.fuse-software.com | home of vektrix (Flash GUI for Ogre3D) and caspin (ActionScript 3 Virtual Machine Wrapper)
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

A CEGUI window is 2D in 2D, am I right? Or can you whack a CEGUI window on a piece of 3D geometry?
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Wow, this is so awesome.

You know that the DOOM 3 guys spent forever working on their 3d in game user interface right? :-D

I assume you can use it for both your regular user interface (game menus, inventory, etc) as well as for 3d user interface?

As far as interpretting ActionScript, the guy who mentioned GameMonkey has a good idea. You could perhaps write a converter to convert from ActionScript to another scripting language instead of writing a complete script compiler/interpretter or whatever is involved. I know the guy who wrote GameMonkey personally btw, he's a genius :-D
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Let's not start a scripting language fight!
What's wrong with ActionScript itself?
GameSWF surely provides all the C++ hooks you need?
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Um, well I assumed that he's not running actual Flash in Ogre, he's using a custom SWF parser/renderer. I also assumed that Macromedia doesn't have ActionScript SDK and make the VM etc. available to embed in other applications. This means that any ActionScript in the SWF would have to be interpretted and run using his own interpretter etc. Also I think he has to recreate all the base functionality built into ActionScript, and all the hooks from ActionScript to the SWF.

I could be wrong here. I wasn't saying that ActionScript sucks, I was saying instead of writing your own ActionScript compiler, virtual machine, complete scripting language runtime etc. you could let users write ActionScript code (since it's the language Flash developers know) and convert it on the fly to another scripting language for execution.

Also, if I'm right about the ActionScript stuff being a problem, I don't think it's a bad thing to choose a completely different scripting languge such as Squirrel for scripting instead of trying to support ActionScript. The fact you can use Flash files in your game means that you can already use all the cool Flash tools to create UI, transitions, etc. which is the biggest thing. Using a different scripting language isn't a huge deal in that case.

*Edit* Did a quick search and GameSWF supports some ActionScript so I don't know what I'm talking about. Ignore me. *End Edit*
Last edited by Falagard on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

jacmoe wrote:A CEGUI window is 2D in 2D, am I right? Or can you whack a CEGUI window on a piece of 3D geometry?
You can indeed place a bunch of CEGUI widgets onto a 3D panel, and even have mouse cursor, and buttons working ;) There is even a post on these forums with some nice screen shots :)
Have a question about Input? Video? WGE? Come on over... http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/
stoneCold
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by stoneCold »

Falagard wrote:You know that the DOOM 3 guys spent forever working on their 3d in game user interface right? :-D
I know :wink: (I even had a look @ the doom3 internals of this system yesterday and it's just textures moving by scripts and nothing more :) )
Falagard wrote:I assume you can use it for both your regular user interface (game menus, inventory, etc) as well as for 3d user interface?
This is exactly what I meant with planed features: "rendering to screen" :)
Last edited by stoneCold on Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hmoraldo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by hmoraldo »

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Ah, Squirrel! Now we're talking! :)

Kidding aside: gameswf supports version 6 for writing and is able to load version 7.
The project looks kinda dormant: last development news is from 2 years ago. But it's opensource.
So I think ActionScript is already built into it.

This is cool! Because Flash is a great WYSIWYG tool for doing layout! :)

<edit>
OK. The last sentence I stole from this article:
http://www.tulrich.com/geekstuff/gamesw ... ortem.html
Which is a good - and relevant - read.
</edit>
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

pjcast wrote:You can indeed place a bunch of CEGUI widgets onto a 3D panel, and even have mouse cursor, and buttons working ;) There is even a post on these forums with some nice screen shots :)
Great! I missed that! I'll do some digging then. :)

Since Flash is vector graphics, and vector graphics - with its sharpness - is best suited for high-tech style interfaces, ..
What about RPGs ? You know. Organics: wood, metal, stone - raster graphics?
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Stranger's Wrath is a Western/Fantasy game.

Here are screenshots of the UI for inventory and shop done using GameSWF.

http://gbabbar.com/html/directionOther/systems.htm
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Looks great!
I can imagine how this makes it possible to do WoW style interfaces.. :)
stoneCold
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by stoneCold »

jacmoe wrote:Kidding aside: gameswf supports version 6 for writing and is able to load version 7.
The project looks kinda dormant: last development news is from 2 years ago. But it's opensource.
So I think ActionScript is already built into it.
I confirm all of that, except the version 7 thing, it's quite buggy even with version5 files, therefore there will be a lot of work to get it up to v8 as I already said above :wink:
Troglodit
Gremlin

Post by Troglodit »

wow !!! that is avesome ! It is very useful !
Arsen Gnatkivsky
game development, programming, modeling.
Magic of Stonehenge demo
http://www.ogre3d.ru - Russian OGRE site. Welcome !
Estrich
Halfling

Post by Estrich »

Wow! It would be sweet indeed to be able to create the user interfaces in flash.
Keep up the great work!
futnuh
Goblin

Post by futnuh »

Any thoughts on how cpu-intensive this is? Looking at the awesome demo video, the fps hovers around 17 ...
stoneCold
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by stoneCold »

futnuh wrote:Any thoughts on how cpu-intensive this is? Looking at the awesome demo video, the fps hovers around 17 ...
Really depends on how many and how complicated flash movies you are playing. For the videos fps ---> fraps (my video capturing tool) locks the fps to ~30 during capturing. Currently I develop another demo whichs is a bit more demo than tech demo and I use currently 1 swf movie and it runs 200-300 fps. For the 3 movies parallel from above I still get 100-150 fps. I'm on a P4 2.6Ghz, 512mb ram, ATI radeon 9600m --> notebook, not really a high end machine as you see, so it's not really a big performance eater :wink:

[edit]: tested it on my old AMD thunderbird 1300+, 256mb ram, GeForce TI4200 and I get quite the same framerates, for the buttons.swf from above ~250 fps.
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Really nice work

Post by Assaf Raman »

When is your planed release date?
I am doing some parallel work on 2D in OGRE and I will be willing to help if you share the code.
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
louisc
Gnoblar

Post by louisc »

Superb - really superb.
ogreSWF is cross-platform and depends on jpeg-group's jpeglib only, meaning it's completely independent from macromedia/adobe's player.
Will this make it into the Ogre code eventually or will it be delivered as an Addon ?

cheers
stoneCold
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: Really nice work

Post by stoneCold »

Assaf Raman wrote:When is your planed release date?
I am doing some parallel work on 2D in OGRE and I will be willing to help if you share the code.
I'll release it today under the LGPL meanwhile, because the next week I'll have quite no time to do so. I would really apriciate some help on this.
louisc wrote:Will this make it into the Ogre code eventually or will it be delivered as an Addon ?
I hope to get a place in the addons some day maybe(?:)). That's really not up to me, but it would really ease the further development.