asteroidWars- source code public release

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
chaulky
Gnoblar

Post by chaulky »

yuriythebest wrote:asteroidWars is now at version 1.01. This version fixes a critical bug related to mouse input.

asteroidWars Files

download asteroidWars_V1.01_UPDATE.rar
I really liked the game. I wanted to see the source but when i follow your link the directory is empty. Anywhere else to find it?
yuriythebest
Orc

Post by yuriythebest »

chaulky wrote:
I really liked the game. I wanted to see the source but when i follow your link the directory is empty. Anywhere else to find it?
re-uploaded, thanks

termit757- [/translation] great game dude! post it in the russian forum as well [/translation]

I've been meaning to do so for a while, now it's done:
http://ogre3d.org.ru/e107_plugins/forum ... hp?13211.0
asteroidWars - an OGRE game
NOOB MAKE MMORPG- the flash movie
Konjkav
Gnoblar

Post by Konjkav »

ÙŒWOW, excellent.
but i think you should work on the health bar. it's not good. But others are very good.
COOL :P
I wish life had Ctrl + Z . . .
BigB
Halfling

Post by BigB »

Hi there,

I already PM yuriythebest, i don't know if you saw the PM or not ??
Any chance you could make the source available again ? The link is dead.
I would love to take a look at it, for learning purposes.

thanks
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

I tried downloading but it says the files are no longer there :cry:
The file link that you requested is not valid. Please contact link publisher or use our search engine to find a file or folder
Aiursrage2k
Greenskin

Post by Aiursrage2k »

I have the source code but not sure I can upload it
BigB
Halfling

Post by BigB »

wasn't the source a public source release ? but let's wait and see if yuriythebest says something...
yuriythebest
Orc

Post by yuriythebest »

Aiursrage2k wrote:I have the source code but not sure I can upload it
yes please do upload them- I sorta need em too :)
ThePaolo
Gnoblar

Post by ThePaolo »

Hi,

Just starting out with Ogre and thought I'd have a bash at making "Yet Another Asteroids Clone".

I think the source for this release would be pretty useful for reference if I got stuck, is it available for download anywhere? The links in this thread seem to be broken....
freegamerblog
Kobold

Post by freegamerblog »

Since this game is open source, I suggest you register a Sourceforge (or sharesource.org or Google Code) project and upload the Source into SVN (or equivalent) there. This sites provide much nicer mirrors / interfaces for downloads.
Free Gamer - open source games resource
FreeGameDev - Free Software game community
yuriythebest
Orc

Post by yuriythebest »

I'm afraid the actual source files are lost so if anyone has them please do upload them. However luckily I did find their contents (I had everything in a single header and cpp file that was designed to work with the ogreappwizard framework) in ms word document form that I used for my thesis.

http://yuriythebest.g0dsoft.com/asteroidWarsSource.rar

contains all the code complete with comments.
ThePaolo
Gnoblar

Post by ThePaolo »

yuriythebest wrote:I'm afraid the actual source files are lost so if anyone has them please do upload them. However luckily I did find their contents (I had everything in a single header and cpp file that was designed to work with the ogreappwizard framework) in ms word document form that I used for my thesis.

http://yuriythebest.g0dsoft.com/asteroidWarsSource.rar

contains all the code complete with comments.
Couldn't really ask for more, cheers yuriythebest. Been busy with work the past week so haven't had a real chance to look through the source, but it looks like just the ticket to reference if I'm stuck - good show.

If I get time after my project is done I'll convert this code back into a Visual Studio project that you can compile.

Cheers,
Paolo
Xypher
Gremlin

Re: asteroidWars- source code public release

Post by Xypher »

Finally caught your dev videos. Not only am I impressed with the end result...Those videos are excellently put together, bravo! :D
Ubuntu Studio 13.04 64-bit
GCC 4.8.1
Ogre3D 1.8.1
AMD Athlon FX 8120 @4Ghz
16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws (PC3-12800)
EVGA GeForce 560 Ti FTW

http://www.hellbatgames.com
freegamerblog
Kobold

Post by freegamerblog »

I think that proves why you should always upload to a Sourceforge or Google Code or Github type space if you use open source.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard, "but now I lost the original source..." :(

At least this one is recoverable.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

freegamerblog wrote:I think that proves why you should always upload to a Sourceforge or Google Code or Github type space if you use open source.
I strongly object to that.
Never, ever upload to Sourceforge, Google Code, Bitbucket or Github without intending to maintain the project.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
freegamerblog
Kobold

Post by freegamerblog »

jacmoe wrote:
freegamerblog wrote:I think that proves why you should always upload to a Sourceforge or Google Code or Github type space if you use open source.
I strongly object to that.
Never, ever upload to Sourceforge, Google Code, Bitbucket or Github without intending to maintain the project.
Sorry but that is a flawed perspective.

Real life dictates people can not often commit to maintaining things. Hosting the project online provides an archive at the very least of an open source project, and gives the authors or people looking for similar projects an opportunity to maintain it in the future.

Sourceforge's own standpoints reflect this. You can not delete a project once it is registered (well, you can, but you have to jump thru hoops by contacting them directly). There used to be an FAQ explaining this but I can't find it in the new documentation, stating that open source means always open. Once uploaded under the appropriate license, it can not be redacted.

Now, you may not like unmaintained projects, but a lot of them exist and for good reason. That's the nature of open source. Sometimes projects gain attention and activity, sometimes not. Some prosper, some die. It's all about the license and nothing to do with whether it is actively maintained or not. However, if the source is not available, then it is worthless. So make it available. That is why Sourceforge, Google Code, Github, etc exist. They do not make you commit to maintaining anything, just sharing.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Bull. :)
Of course you can tell Sourceforge to shut your project down.
It's your code, your copyright.
You don't hand over the rights to your own code.

And people are generally not interested in dead projects.
That's not what Open Source means.
It's a living thing.
Not a museum.

The problem with Sourceforge is that they don't archive projects that often, making it very frustrating to find anything useful. You have to wade through a lot of dead or empty projects first.
They pruned projects in 2001 - I can't remember if they had a pruning round since then ?

Google Code is a bit better in that regard.
freegamerblog
Kobold

Post by freegamerblog »

You need to read the open source licenses my friend. You stick your code out there under the GPL, you can not pull it. You can dual license, you can release updates under a non-GPL license, but what you have put out there as GPL is stuck under the GPL forever*.

Read it. That's what open source is.

[quote=GPL]All rights granted under this License are granted for the term of copyright on the Program, and are irrevocable provided the stated conditions are met.[/quote]

The fact the license is irrevocable is why there was vociferous opposition to putting in a 'this version and future versions of the GPL' clause because some GPL v2->v3 changes were not well received and many felt it was a bad idea to have GPL vX forced upon them.

* well, forever, as in, until copyright runs out, but then it becomes public domain, which is still essentially open source...
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

freegamerblog wrote:You need to read the open source licenses my friend. You stick your code out there under the GPL, you can not pull it.
You assume everyone is GPLing. More code is open-sourced today under non-GPL licenses than under GPL, because of the restrictive nature of GPL. It's also why there are so many different OSS licenses.

And there is nothing saying you need to "license" your code at all -- you are perfectly free to toss it out there...and "pull it back" if you like.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

freegamerblog wrote:You need to read the open source licenses my friend. You stick your code out there under the GPL, you can not pull it. You can dual license, you can release updates under a non-GPL license, but what you have put out there as GPL is stuck under the GPL forever*.
Do not lecture me, my *friend*.
What's already released as GPL, stays GPL, of course.
But, as the copyright holder, you are free to stop licensing it under the GPL.
And, even if it's GPL, you have the right to stop offering it.
You cannot take it back, but why would you want to (if you could) ?
This doesn't mean that you need to host the damn thing for ever. :lol: