"Those Funny Funguloids!" -- v1.06 [+ Linux ver]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Dids
Gnoblar

Post by Dids »

Yay for finnish game-development!

I'll check out the game when I get home, seems like fun. :)
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Dids wrote:Yay for finnish game-development!
Hehe, yay indeed! :D
I'll check out the game when I get home, seems like fun. :)
8-)
.: An Ogre game: Those Funny Funguloids! :.
phorim
Gnoblar

Those Funny Funguloids on Ubuntu Feisty AMD64

Post by phorim »

I can't express how grateful I am for all the information in this thread. Over the last 2 days I have learned a great deal more about compiling. Between this thread and the thread at Ubuntuforums: LINK, I have managed to get Funguloids up and running. I have to figure out why it runs choppy unless I delete the ./funguloids folder after each session, but it is a very minor thing. The game is fantastic eye candy.

Thanks,
Randall

edit: If I knew anything about packaging during this, I would have made a .deb, but alas, that is new to me too.
mh
Gremlin

Re: Those Funny Funguloids on Ubuntu Feisty AMD64

Post by mh »

phorim wrote:I can't express how grateful I am for all the information in this thread. Over the last 2 days I have learned a great deal more about compiling. Between this thread and the thread at Ubuntuforums: LINK, I have managed to get Funguloids up and running. I have to figure out why it runs choppy unless I delete the ./funguloids folder after each session, but it is a very minor thing. The game is fantastic eye candy.
That's great to hear! :) Hopefully we'll get Ogre 1.4 deb at some point, plust a few others so this game can be packaged too.
WhiskeyJim
Gnoblar

Post by WhiskeyJim »

Looks very cool and innovating. I like the graphics especially - hope the gameplay is as smooth as well. Going to give it a test when I get back to home. Go, go Finland! :)
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

WhiskeyJim wrote:Looks very cool and innovating. I like the graphics especially - hope the gameplay is as smooth as well. Going to give it a test when I get back to home. Go, go Finland! :)
Hehe, thanks! :) Hope you'll like the gameplay as well! ;)
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Dammit, there seems to be a quite common problem on the Linux build (and it's probably on this latest one too), I've had four reports so far.. :( Made a topic for it, too: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=222822

All help to track this one down is welcome! I guess I'm doing something bad in the code with the compositors/shaders, since the problem seems to arise only when the compositors aren't supported.. :?
Drakon
Gnoblar

Post by Drakon »

Hi. There is a polish portal with software and IT news http://dobreprogramy.pl and they are always recommend some nice games for weekend.
Try to guess what game was recommended for the last weekend ;) Of course Those Funny Funguloids! :):)
http://dobreprogramy.pl/index.php?dz=15&n=6549
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Drakon wrote:Hi. There is a polish portal with software and IT news http://dobreprogramy.pl and they are always recommend some nice games for weekend.
Try to guess what game was recommended for the last weekend ;) Of course Those Funny Funguloids! :):)
http://dobreprogramy.pl/index.php?dz=15&n=6549
Hehe, nice! :D Thanks for reporting! Too bad I can't read any of that.. :P
WhiskeyJim
Gnoblar

Post by WhiskeyJim »

Crap! Almost forgot to post back. The gameplay is smooth as well, thanks for this great game. :)
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

WhiskeyJim wrote:Crap! Almost forgot to post back. The gameplay is smooth as well, thanks for this great game. :)
Thanks again! :D

As for the assertion problem, it turned out to be Ogre bug after all (http://www.ogre3d.org/mantis/view.php?id=170).

EDIT: Fixed the link.
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Yay, we have music now for the next version! :) When this Linux build is ready, it'll be out.

Piet: Could you add support for a music file 'MarylandInMay.ogg' in the 'music' folder, it should be copied along with playlist.lua to the correct location.
piet
Kobold

Post by piet »

mh wrote:Yay, we have music now for the next version! :) When this Linux build is ready, it'll be out.
Here we go :) http://www.newbyteorder.net/funguloids-1.06-3.tar.bz2

But I just noticed that the "7" is broken (some stray pixels) in the overlay that shows the number of collected shrooms of each colour.
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

piet wrote:
mh wrote:Yay, we have music now for the next version! :) When this Linux build is ready, it'll be out.
Here we go :) http://www.newbyteorder.net/funguloids-1.06-3.tar.bz2

But I just noticed that the "7" is broken (some stray pixels) in the overlay that shows the number of collected shrooms of each colour.
Thanks a lot, I'll try this later after work. :) The broken 7 is a strange problem, it's been always present on the Linux version for some reason. I thought it was the Ati drivers but apparently not. The set of data is exactly the same on both Win and Lin, I have no idea what causes that artifact.. :P

EDIT: Here's the updated files, lots of little changes. :) http://koti.mbnet.fi/lsoft/fung/fungulo ... st.tar.bz2

I'll release v1.06 later today. Stay tuned!
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Version 1.06 is finally released! Thanks to Piet, now the Linux version is much much better than it was before! :D Cheers, man! :)

Changes since v1.05:
  • We have music now!
  • A proper Linux version is now available, thanks to Piet!
  • More nicely aligned high scores
  • Upgraded to Ogre v1.4.1
  • Small bug fixes plus more platform independant code..
Enjoy!
IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

Awesome work, congratulations! :)
skoruppa
Gnoblar

Post by skoruppa »

working great on my ubuntu 7.04 :)

i creat .deb package for fungoilds but i think it wont working without package of newsest ogre (i can't creat newest package for it xD)

mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

skoruppa wrote:working great on my ubuntu 7.04 :)

i creat .deb package for fungoilds but i think it wont working without package of newsest ogre (i can't creat newest package for it xD)
That's great, thanks! :)

Yep, the .debs have to wait for all the dependencies to go .deb first.. :P
Niosop
Gnoblar

Great job

Post by Niosop »

Just wanted to say TFF rocks. It's the perfect game when I just need a quick break from coding, although one quick game usually turns into 10. My three year old daughter loves it too (once I got rid of the annoying asteroids).

Thanks for a great game. Runs beautifully on Kubuntu 7.04 w/ GeForce FX 5200 - TV Out to 52" rear projection TV.

If I get some time I'll try and port it over to python-ogre since I'm kind of interested to see how hard it is and if there's a noticeable performance difference.
mh
Gremlin

Re: Great job

Post by mh »

Niosop wrote:Just wanted to say TFF rocks. It's the perfect game when I just need a quick break from coding, although one quick game usually turns into 10. My three year old daughter loves it too (once I got rid of the annoying asteroids).

Thanks for a great game. Runs beautifully on Kubuntu 7.04 w/ GeForce FX 5200 - TV Out to 52" rear projection TV.
Thank you for the nice comments, I'm glad you like the game! :) And wow, 52"! That must be something! ..I have 19" CRT myself.. *curses* :P
If I get some time I'll try and port it over to python-ogre since I'm kind of interested to see how hard it is and if there's a noticeable performance difference.
Sounds interesting, let me know if you start the task. :)
piet
Kobold

Re: Great job

Post by piet »

Niosop wrote:My three year old daughter loves it too (once I got rid of the annoying asteroids).
What a great idea, they are always in the way ;-)

Here is a slightly updated version: http://www.newbyteorder.net/funguloids-1.06-4.tar.bz2

Changes are:
- added more infos to INSTALL
- configure tries to use a Lua pkg-config file if it can't figure out by itself where Lua is installed to (however, there is some confusion to the naming of the pkg-config file)
andrewfenn
Halfling

Post by andrewfenn »

mh wrote:
skoruppa wrote:working great on my ubuntu 7.04 :)

That's great, thanks! :)

Yep, the .debs have to wait for all the dependencies to go .deb first.. :P
I don't know how/where but you should be able to get the latest stable version of Ogre as well as Funguloids in the next version of Ubuntu which is coming out at the end of this year? I don't know where to request it otherwise I would ask myself because I want both things in there. :D
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

andrewfenn wrote:I don't know how/where but you should be able to get the latest stable version of Ogre as well as Funguloids in the next version of Ubuntu which is coming out at the end of this year? I don't know where to request it otherwise I would ask myself because I want both things in there. :D
Hehe, yeah it'd be nice to have them in Gutsy Gibbon.. :) I guess somebody has to do Ogre first.. ;)
asafdav2
Gnoblar

Post by asafdav2 »

hey, i'm having a problem running the game
i'm building from source using VS8.0. it builds allright, but when trying to run the executable i'm getting an exception:
ScriptSystem error: Could not find startup.lua in ScriptSystem::executeScript() at .\src\scriptsystem.cpp (line 537)
i searched around and indeed didn't find a startup.lua file. what to do ?

thanks
piet
Kobold

Post by piet »

asafdav2 wrote: i searched around and indeed didn't find a startup.lua file. what to do ?
thanks
Make sure you have installed the data files (the script is one of the .mpk file). I don't know the windows version but you probably need some files from the .7z archive: http://funguloids.sourceforge.net/download.html

Hope that helps.