"Those Funny Funguloids!" -- v1.06 [+ Linux ver]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Prezadent
Gnoblar

Post by Prezadent »

I've been all over the map. Where the heck is Sinistar?
steak
Gnoblar

Post by steak »

This is an excellent and very addictive game!

I was just wondering what everyone was scoring and if we can get some hints as to how to score the most points?

So far I've managed just over 40,000 but it would be cool to see if this is actually a decent score. Has anyone made it to six figures yet?
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

steak wrote:This is an excellent and very addictive game!
Thank you very much! :)
So far I've managed just over 40,000 but it would be cool to see if this is actually a decent score. Has anyone made it to six figures yet?
:shock: Over 40,000? Damn, that's a good score! My personal "record" is 3870 (and 3810 with mouse.. :D).. But that's just peanuts to yours.. :oops: :P Haha, I guess I need more practise!

Stay tuned for a new, Eihort powered version of Funguloids.
.: An Ogre game: Those Funny Funguloids! :.
steak
Gnoblar

Post by steak »

Oh no, I must be playing too much! :D

The big scores kind of creep up on you though, I had about 4000 after the second stage but then after the third stage I shot up to about 33000!

It would be interesting to know how the scores are calculated.
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

steak wrote:The big scores kind of creep up on you though, I had about 4000 after the second stage but then after the third stage I shot up to about 33000!

It would be interesting to know how the scores are calculated.
That's true, the score grows exponentially based on how much mushrooms you bring to the base. It starts slowly but gets to very big scores quite easily after, say, >= 20 mushrooms. :)

Here's the exact formula: New score = (Previous Score) + 1.4 ^ (Number of Mushrooms) * 15
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Version 1.05 is up! Thanks to Ogre team for releasing Eihort. :)
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

EDIT: Made a specific thread for the Linux port problems: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=216049
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

I have released a preliminary Linux version with a simple makefile! :) This at least enables you to play. Hopefully somebody will contribute a more proper (autotools) package at some point, and perhaps even port the FMOD Ex parts to OpenAL / Audiere or something.. 8)

Enjoy! http://funguloids.sourceforge.net
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Yay! Downloading! (Kubuntu Feisty 23-bit)

I'll report my success :)
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Hm, I'm having issues with compiling... It's looking for lua.hpp and I can't seem to figure out what package to install. I've got most all of them already in Kubuntu now. lol

Edit: It's always the last one ;) 5.1 it was.

Edit2: Hmm... having trouble getting it to find libOgreMain-1.4.0.so even tho it's in /usr/local/lib and that path is in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/local Still playing with it, though.

Edit3: I dunno why this isn't working. I just went and compiled the ogre demos and at least the Grass demo works. (I didn't run the others.) `pkg-config OGRE --libs` gives -L/usr/local/lib -lOgreMain as it should, and as is evidenced by the fact that it's trying to find the library at all. -sigh-
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Yeah, I'm not having any luck with it... If anyone could give me a pointer, I'd appreciate it.
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Hmm, that is strange.. :? I had problems on my Ubuntu (Edgy Eft as of now) that the librariy dir (/usr/local/lib) wasn't in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so I couldn't run anything I compiled. But since you can run the grass demo, that can't be it.. I don't know, that's all I can think of right now. Hopefully someone more adept with Linux will help. :)
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Code: Select all

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
This does in fact make it work. :boggle:

I have no idea why that isn't necessary for the demos and it necessary for Fungaloids.

And more good news: I FINALLY touched that fast yellow/orange thing :D Yay me!

The visuals are amazing on this game. I think that every single time I play it. Great job, mh!

Edit: Oh, and there was no sound. I didn't know if you knew that or not.
piet
Kobold

Post by piet »

Aladrin wrote:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
This does in fact make it work. :boggle:
The environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH tells the system's dynamic linker where to look for library files. For a more permanent fix add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf or - if (k)ubuntu supports this - in a new file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ and run ldconfig (as the root user).

However - I just dropped by to report that everything compiles and runs out of the box for me (Debian unstable) after installing fmod and the LUA 5.1 dev packages. However, anonymous CVS access on sf.net is not working right now...

Great game but I would agree that more than one life would be very convenient ;-)
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Aladrin wrote: Edit2: Hmm... having trouble getting it to find libOgreMain-1.4.0.so even tho it's in /usr/local/lib and that path is in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/local Still playing with it, though.
Thanks, but I did that already. As noted before, the demos work fine. It's only Funguloids that doesn't.
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Thanks for the comments, guys! :)

Aladrin: Nice to hear you got it working. I had problems with sound too, FMOD doesn't use ALSA on my box, it tries to use OSS and that fails if I have another application using sounds running. Once I got the sounds to work but that was before I had started any audio using programs.. :(

I guess it would be good thing to port it to another sound system. I was considering Audiere, but I don't think it supports ALSA either. OpenAL is an option, but I have not used it before so I don't know how to do the port (as of now).
piet
Kobold

Post by piet »

mh wrote:OpenAL is an option, but I have not used it before so I don't know how to do the port (as of now).
I'll have a look at it tonight. It should be a rather quick one. Or so I hope ;-)
Aladrin wrote:Thanks, but I did that already. As noted before, the demos work fine. It's only Funguloids that doesn't.
Sorry, didn't saw that. Try to compare the output of 'ldd funguloids' and ldd on a demo. The demos might get their libOgre from somewhere else...
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

piet wrote:Try to compare the output of 'ldd funguloids' and ldd on a demo. The demos might get their libOgre from somewhere else...
Hah, I got it. That command told me that the demo wasn't using shared libraries, and that's why it worked. Apparently the ld.so.conf on Kubuntu Feisty is set to include *.conf ... and the files don't end in .conf.

It now runs (soundless) without a hitch! Thanks! I'm sure that'll save me tons of heartache in the future, as well.
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Aladrin wrote:It now runs (soundless) without a hitch!
And now you can get sounds too! :D I noticed that if specifically told to use ALSA, FMOD Ex works fine on my system.

Add these lines to SoundSystem::SoundSystem in src/soundsystem.cpp, before the mSystem->init(...):

result = mSystem->setOutput(FMOD_OUTPUTTYPE_ALSA);
	if(errorCheck(result))
		return;
piet: Cool, if you can get it ported over to OpenAL be sure to let me know! :) I think after the soundsystem.cpp is ported, only some changes need to be done in player.cpp (due to it storing pointers to playing samples in the class Player).

EDIT: Yay, got my record in Linux: 7380! :lol: Btw, does the bloom work for you guys in Linux build? It did work for me at some point but lately it doesn't, for some reason.. Dunno why.
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

From what I remember, no... I don't think it had any bloom. I'll take a look again when I get home tonight.
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Aladrin wrote:From what I remember, no... I don't think it had any bloom. I'll take a look again when I get home tonight.
Oh crap, I just realised I made a stupid mistake.. :oops: Yeah, there's no bloom since I accidentally took that one line out which adds the compositor in question.. :P GCC warned about unused variable which was there, so I just took the line out without realising the bloom was added on the same line.. D'oh! :) I'll release fixed packages soon.

UPDATE: The fixed Linux packages are up! :) I re-enabled the bloom compositor and made it use ALSA by default (can be edited from gamesettings.cfg -> use_alsa = off). :)
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Yup! Definitely has sound now!

I'm really glad this is working on Linux.
piet
Kobold

Post by piet »

mh wrote: piet: Cool, if you can get it ported over to OpenAL be sure to let me know! :) I think after the soundsystem.cpp is ported, only some changes need to be done in player.cpp (due to it storing pointers to playing samples in the class Player).
Level one completed: grab the modified sources here (bloom is fixed in them): http://www.newbyteorder.net/funguloids_ ... .1.tar.bz2.

You will probably need to install the OpenAL development packages (both al.h and alut.h are needed, for Debian/unstable that is libopenal-dev and libalut-dev, other dists might have them in one package). It should even compile without fmod installed after removing the fmod linker flags in 'makefile' and deleting 'src/fmodexsoundsystem.cpp'. And it should compile under windows as it is.

Whether FMOD or OpenAL is used can be set in soundsystem.h (look for #define SOUND_SYSTEM_OPENAL). I moved the FMOD-related stuff into fmodsoundsystem.* while the OpenAL SoundSystem is scattered in the openal* files. Since some of the code is from another project, there are still some functions left that are currently not used (most notably the 3D sound methods (play3D() and setPosition()) which could be used for some cool audio fx 8) The interface hasn't changed so there is no need to touch anything else.

On the downside, there is no music right now. Ogg support is on its way but it might take a day or two and it would be great to have autoconf configured before or at least have some dependency tracking working. However, with possible optional support for other audio formats like mp3 or mod it would be rather wise to go for autoconf/automake I guess :evil:
...and made it use ALSA by default
Using FMOD with ALSA on my system causes the sound to go away after picking up two or three mushrooms!? With OSS everything works perfect.
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

piet wrote:Level one completed: grab the modified sources here (bloom is fixed in them): http://www.newbyteorder.net/funguloids_ ... .1.tar.bz2.
This is great, thanks! It works quite well. :) I think I heard some cracks and pops now and then, maybe there's some OpenAL settings (buffer sizes etc.) than can be changed to remedy? But other than that, works fine.
Whether FMOD or OpenAL is used can be set in soundsystem.h (look for #define SOUND_SYSTEM_OPENAL). I moved the FMOD-related stuff into fmodsoundsystem.* while the OpenAL SoundSystem is scattered in the openal* files.
I think that flag should be defined in the makefile (for now), instead of having to dig the source files. That's an easy fix, I'll do it once the packages are done (unnecessary code removed, music support in). :)
On the downside, there is no music right now. Ogg support is on its way but it might take a day or two and it would be great to have autoconf configured before or at least have some dependency tracking working. However, with possible optional support for other audio formats like mp3 or mod it would be rather wise to go for autoconf/automake I guess :evil:
No problem, take your time by all means. :) The music support doesn't need to be as wide as with FMOD Ex, since there is no music included with the game currently (and if there ever will be, it's going to be in Ogg). I think if you get Ogg and Mp3 it'll be enough. Currently the music dir serves as a place for user music, should one want to play their own music files in the game background. FMOD Ex supports all kind of formats, including the MOD-type music, but that's not needed I think.

And I agree, getting the autoconf stuff in would be the best option in any case. Too bad I have no idea how to use them.. :( rUmbl3 was working on it a while back, I think.
Using FMOD with ALSA on my system causes the sound to go away after picking up two or three mushrooms!? With OSS everything works perfect.
That's strange. OSS has never worked too great for me, only when there's no other sound sources running.. But anyway, I think the ALSA default is still good choice, because (as said in INSTALL file), you can disable it from the gamesettings.cfg file. (use_alsa=off).

Anyways, thanks again for your work, keep it up! :)
piet
Kobold

Post by piet »

mh wrote:This is great, thanks! It works quite well. :) I think I heard some cracks and pops now and then, maybe there's some OpenAL settings (buffer sizes etc.) than can be changed to remedy? But other than that, works fine.
OpenAL is quite picky on the sample format in my experience. I haven't looked at the sound files yet but it might be something in that direction. Or using too few channels which means that a playing sample might be interrupted at the wrong moment to free a channel for the next sound. However, it definitely sounds different (different mixing algorithms I guess)
mh wrote:I think that flag should be defined in the makefile (for now), instead of having to dig the source files. That's an easy fix, I'll do it once the packages are done (unnecessary code removed, music support in). :)
Yup, placing it in soundsystem.h was just a quick fix since I didn't know whether FMOD support will be dropped completely so I went for this hacky typedef solution. autotools put such things into config.h I think.
The music support doesn't need to be as wide as with FMOD Ex, since there is no music included with the game currently (and if there ever will be, it's going to be in Ogg). I think if you get Ogg and Mp3 it'll be enough.
Ok, than that's the way I go...
mh wrote:And I agree, getting the autoconf stuff in would be the best option in any case. Too bad I have no idea how to use them.. :( rUmbl3 was working on it a while back, I think.
Even if it's big and ugly it's not that hard. If anyone volunteers I'll do it ;-)
mh wrote:
That's strange. OSS has never worked too great for me, only when there's no other sound sources running.. But anyway, I think the ALSA default is still good choice, because (as said in INSTALL file), you can disable it from the gamesettings.cfg file. (use_alsa=off).
Definitely strange since everything else works perfect for me (at least in regards to ALSA, lol ;-) In any case I'm not going to look into this one since FMOD isn't my cup of tea. And I agree, OSS is hopelessly outdated.
mh wrote:Anyways, thanks again for your work, keep it up! :)
You're welcome. And how should I have passed on this game when it comes to hunt spacey 'shrooms in such a colourful space 8)