"Those Funny Funguloids!" -- v1.06 [+ Linux ver]

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
jjp
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by jjp »

These orange-glowing things are damn hard to catch :) The only tiny inconsistency I found is that if you enter a name into the highscore list and the fist character is a blank, then you can't get out of the menu (until you delete the blank). Looks very neat, I think I'll give a more detailed comment when I have found the time to play it for more than 10 minutes.
Enough is never enough.
BRAINLESS
Goblin

Post by BRAINLESS »

wow, looks good! great graphics, great gameplay :)
Proud member of the OpenFRAG Game Development community
rUmbl3
Halfling

Post by rUmbl3 »

mh wrote:Cool, you got it up and running? Would you mind elaborating what needs to be changed? #Includes in which file? :)
You only need to change the includes in the main.cpp and ogreapp.cpp. After adding the ConvertUTF.h (google.com) it worked really good.

The Makefile if anyone's interessted:

Code: Select all

all: 
        g++ src/*.cpp -o funguloids `pkg-config OGRE --cflags --libs` -Iinclude -Iinclude/SimpleIni -I/usr/local/include/fmodex -lfmodex -llua
After compiling just copy the funguloids executable into the root folder of the .7z distribution, copy all plugin .so files from /usr(/local)/lib/OGRE/ into the plugins folder and comment the RenderSystem_DX9 in plugins.cfg out.
Rhaythe
Halfling

Post by Rhaythe »

Collecting 'shrooms has never been so fun...! =D
"Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense."
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Thanks for the very positive (so far) feedback, everybody! :D
jjp wrote:These orange-glowing things are damn hard to catch :)
I know, hehe.. :D There's a trick to it, though.. ;)
The only tiny inconsistency I found is that if you enter a name into the highscore list and the fist character is a blank, then you can't get out of the menu (until you delete the blank). Looks very neat, I think I'll give a more detailed comment when I have found the time to play it for more than 10 minutes.
Oops, I forgot to remove that. It's actually in the code and it's not a bug.. :P I used some older code of mine for the hiscore input. My reason for that "blank check" was that player's couldn't enter blank names (i.e. all space). But that's not really a problem, so it should be allowed and in any case it should check for the whole string not the first char.. :P Oh well, thanks for reminding me, I'll remove it for the next version. :)
rUmbl3 wrote:You only need to change the includes in the main.cpp and ogreapp.cpp. After adding the ConvertUTF.h (google.com) it worked really good.
Ok, got it, thanks. :) Would it be too much trouble for you if you cleaned up the Windows specific files (*.dll) from the dir, included the makefile (which should have the optimization flags, for example -O2 there, right? Or maybe Ogre already specifies it..) and packaged them all up in .bz2 or .7z? I could then release it on SourceForge for all Linux users. :) Thanks for your help so far!

Hey, has anyone played it with Nvidia hardware? :) To be honest, we didn't test it on Nvidia cards, since we don't have any.. ;) So I'm interested to know if it runs properly (not that it wouldn't..) :) Could somebody Nvidia user send me a screenshot or two of the game? (PrintScrn key saves PNGs to the game folder)
.: An Ogre game: Those Funny Funguloids! :.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Great work, this was a lot of fun. I actually played it on my Mobility 9700 since my main machine (nVidia) is tied up right now.
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

sinbad wrote:Great work, this was a lot of fun. I actually played it on my Mobility 9700 since my main machine (nVidia) is tied up right now.
Thanks sinbad! :) Any chances for featured projects gallery..? Could show that Ogre works with 2dish games as well.. ;)
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

mh wrote: Hey, has anyone played it with Nvidia hardware? :) To be honest, we didn't test it on Nvidia cards, since we don't have any.. ;) So I'm interested to know if it runs properly (not that it wouldn't..) :) Could somebody Nvidia user send me a screenshot or two of the game? (PrintScrn key saves PNGs to the game folder)
I didn't get to play it for very long because I was busy, but it ran beautifully on my GeForce 7800GTX. I'll take some screenies when I get home so you can verify it looks right. (Maybe dig out Fraps, too.)
rUmbl3
Halfling

Post by rUmbl3 »

I used it with my nvidia card, too (FX 5900). And it worked like a charm (even with OpenGL ;) ).

It shouldn't be a too big problem to supply a version for linux users. But i would like to pack that into a big package with autoconf/automake/configure tools and all stuff linux users like to have ;)
I might be able to do that all tomorrow although i hate working with autobuild. After i am finished I'll post a download link in this thread and you can put it on the sf.net space then.
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Good to hear that it works fine on nVidia (so THAT was the spelling, I thought mine looked wrong! Haha I'm so out of the loop these days! :P). Screenshots would be extra nice, Aladrin. The bloom "issue" I talked about in one thread is still there, the bloom (in D3D) is a bit offset from the center on the Radeons we tested, maybe nVidia doesn't have that. Not that it really matters, as the bloom is quite subtle..
rUmbl3 wrote:It shouldn't be a too big problem to supply a version for linux users. But i would like to pack that into a big package with autoconf/automake/configure tools and all stuff linux users like to have ;)
I might be able to do that all tomorrow although i hate working with autobuild. After i am finished I'll post a download link in this thread and you can put it on the sf.net space then.
That'd be awesome, I was kinda hoping somebody would step up and do the whole autotools thing (of which I personally know nothing about, all my past Linux releases have been just the sources + a little makefile, from which I've gotten some complaints about.. Linux folk do like the autotools better. :) But I guess that makes sense).. :) Anyways, your efforts are highly appreciated rUmbl3. ^^

EDIT: I uploaded a little video clip from the game.. :)
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

http://www.kelahn.com/screencaps/tff/

Render System=OpenGL Rendering Subsystem

[Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem]
Allow NVPerfHUD=No
Anti aliasing=None
Floating-point mode=Fastest
Full Screen=Yes
Rendering Device=NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
VSync=No
Video Mode=800 x 600 @ 32-bit colour

[OpenGL Rendering Subsystem]
Colour Depth=32
Display Frequency=59
FSAA=0
Full Screen=Yes
RTT Preferred Mode=FBO
VSync=No
Video Mode=1440 x 900

[graphics]
bloom=on
bloom_amount=1.0
shadows=on
dynamic_light_shadows=on
dynamic_lights=on
debug_info=off

[audio]
sounds=on
volume=1
music_volume=0.4
If you want me to delete the ogre.cfg and change to D3D, I'll do that, too. I chose OpenGL out of reflex when I first fired it up.
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Aladrin wrote:If you want me to delete the ogre.cfg and change to D3D, I'll do that, too. I chose OpenGL out of reflex when I first fired it up.
Thanks, those look correct. However, the bloom isn't as nice in OpenGL as it is in D3D.. So yeah, some D3D shots would be nice. :)

EDIT: How does it run on resolution that big? Even 1024x768 is a bit too much for my computer, darn.. :P
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Same URL as before.

Render System=Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem

[Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem]
Allow NVPerfHUD=No
Anti aliasing=None
Floating-point mode=Fastest
Full Screen=Yes
Rendering Device=NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
VSync=No
Video Mode=1440 x 900 @ 32-bit colour

[OpenGL Rendering Subsystem]
Colour Depth=32
Display Frequency=60
FSAA=0
Full Screen=Yes
RTT Preferred Mode=FBO
VSync=No
Video Mode=1024 x 768
I like the D3D better. Compare shot 01 to 07, especially the twirly yellow thing.

nVidia has historically handled OpenGL better, and ATI handled D3D better... That makes these results a little odd to me. ;)

As for how it performs... Smooth as silk on both OpenGL and D3D.

P4 3.2Ghz
2GB PC2-5300 (Pretty sure, might have been 4300. Been a while since I built this one.)
GeForce 7800 GTX
Onboard Audio
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Aladrin wrote:I like the D3D better. Compare shot 01 to 07, especially the twirly yellow thing.
Yeah, me too. As I wrote in the readme, the OpenGL bloom shader might need some love.. :)
As for how it performs... Smooth as silk on both OpenGL and D3D.
Cool. 8)

EDIT: I'm releasing v1.01 soon, it has greatly improved OpenGL bloom shader. :)
Last edited by mh on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drakon
Gnoblar

Post by Drakon »

Very nice graphic and good gameplay. I'm very impressed :) Congratulation :)
neocryptek
Gnome

Post by neocryptek »

Very nice!

Runs perfect and looks great with everything maxed + 4x FSAA @ 1680x1050 on my lowly nVidia 6600 GT in DirectX (haven't tried OpenGL yet). Have only had a few minutes to play around so far though, looking forward to more when I get time.

Congratulations on the release and thanks for sharing the source!
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Thanks! :)
neocryptek wrote:Runs perfect and looks great with everything maxed + 4x FSAA @ 1680x1050 on my lowly nVidia 6600 GT in DirectX (haven't tried OpenGL yet).
Wow.. :shock: :D
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

I released v1.01. Couple of little bugs fixed, and the OpenGL bloom shader is greatly improved. Now it looks virtually like the D3D port! :) Especially the OpenGL users should update.

http://funguloids.sourceforge.net
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Sinbad, thanks for mentioning us on the Ogre Community news! :) There's a little typo (Fungaloids) though, but it's not a big deal.. ;)

No comments on the v1.01..? :P Hehe, anyways, I don't really have anything new to report atm. Waiting to hear from rUmbl3 regarding the Linux port. And I guess I should bite the bullet and start porting this to Eihort some day.. :)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Hmm, 2 typos in one news posting (I spelled yuriythebest's name wrong too) :oops:
rUmbl3
Halfling

Post by rUmbl3 »

mh wrote:Waiting to hear from rUmbl3 regarding the Linux port.
I am sorry that i cant really work at it atm, but i am injured at my left hand and typing is a little bit hard :)
On the other side another project i am working on (non-Ogre) is coming close to a first release and i got some bugs to fix etc. But i am sure i can work on the build files in one or two weeks (depends on my hand).
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

rUmbl3 wrote:
mh wrote:Waiting to hear from rUmbl3 regarding the Linux port.
I am sorry that i cant really work at it atm, but i am injured at my left hand and typing is a little bit hard :)
On the other side another project i am working on (non-Ogre) is coming close to a first release and i got some bugs to fix etc. But i am sure i can work on the build files in one or two weeks (depends on my hand).
Ah okay, no problem - there's no hurry. :)

Update: I've successfully ported this over to Eihort! A couple of media upgrades left and it's done. It wasn't that bad as I thought it'd be.. ;) Now I'm just waiting for the stable non-RC Eihort before releasing the next version. :)
Marter
Gnoblar

Post by Marter »

Haha, I like this thing!
mh
Gremlin

Post by mh »

Marter wrote:Haha, I like this thing!
Heh, thanks! :D
Bagheera
Halfling

Post by Bagheera »

Fantastic graphics in my mind. Beautifully done, really, well done!