Monster Engine

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
ejevik
Gnoblar

Post by ejevik »

I will try the get some text about the statemachine and the event system on the wiki today, on poor english but maybe understanble, hehe.

I you are not a good scripter or dosent want to learn a new language the engine is build on that way that everthing you can do in Lua script you can also do in c++ code.
This basic idea is good on several ways, one big is the performance perspecitve, you can test a thing in Lua and just simple make it to c++ to get it run faster.

If you are like me, bad to remember long syntax, I recommend the Lua binds highligter for Notepad++, you can find it on the homepage in "How to use" section.
The only language that should exist is assembler, "simple" to understand and simple to remember.

Ejevik Game Design/Scriper Monster Engine
Jollp
Gnoblar

Post by Jollp »

Thank you for all the positive feedback!

I'm glad you like the screenshots and the video. And I hope some of you were able to run the demo. We are taking a break from the code and enjoying the fine weather here in Sweden. But we will hopefully be able to do the most urgent bug fixes soon, such as the techdemo not running properly on ATI cards. :)

I've been working on the audio in the game engine, I just want to mention that we have a special feature called Dynamic sounds. In short this feature enables the audio engine to create its own sounds by looking at data from the physics engine.
There is a white plastic like box in the demo this box uses the DynamicSound feature. Check it out! I would be glad to hear your thoughts.
Murmandamus
Halfling

Post by Murmandamus »

Can I just ask, why doesn't at least the tech demo include all the dll's required to run it (e.g. PhysX)?
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Murmandamus wrote:Can I just ask, why doesn't at least the tech demo include all the dll's required to run it (e.g. PhysX)?
Legal requirements? I don't think Physx lets you distribute their stuff however you like. You have to run their installer.
Quall
Greenskin

Post by Quall »

Doesn't it include everything but PhysX? Ageia does not let you distribute the SDK, they only allow you to distribute the runtimes. Even then, you must have your installer run their setup application, you cannot simply throw the dll's into your application directory. Each client must accept Ageia's Eula agreement.
Murmandamus
Halfling

Post by Murmandamus »

Ok, I don't know Ageia's eula. In any case I was not suggesting to redistribute the SDK, obviously Ageia does not want that. But how is one supposed to ship any titles using their PhysX engine, if you can't include the runtimes? Or if that should be done with some kind of Ageia installer, why wasn't that included with the Monster Tech Demo? Does this installer not come with the PhysX SDK download?

I honestly don't know how this works with Ageia, so I'm just wondering.
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

You can't give out the SDK.

But you can give out the runtimes (The SystemSoftware), there equivalent to the DirectX, OpenAL libraries that also get bundled with game installers.

Else when Unreal Tournment 2007 comes out, every person will be furious with Epic instructing them to download them from Ageia's website.
Quall
Greenskin

Post by Quall »

Indeed. Maybe I explained it poorly. I meant to say that they do not want you distributing their libraries as flat files with you application. They have their own installer that you must distribute with your app. The installer prompts the user to accept their Eula agreement, which is required for the free (non-commercial) SDK.

See their "Deployment" section of the SDK documentation for full details.
Murmandamus
Halfling

Post by Murmandamus »

Thanks for explaining that. I guess I would have access to the SDK documentation if I had registered and downloaded the SDK, which I haven't. I did find the PhysX drivers download, as they call it, which is the "SystemSoftware" redistributable installer you guys mentioned.

But maybe I formulated my question poorly too :P ... I still don't understand why the PhysX runtimes, in whatever form (dll files, installer exe, whatever) are not included in the monster tech demo distro. My main reason for asking was because I thought that the only other way of obtaining them, would be to register for the SDK. Which I may do at some point, but not just yet and not just for running a tech demo.

For my part, the "problem" is solved, because I just found the redistributable on the Ageia site (and noticed next to the download link that it says it requires XP or Vista :roll: which I don't have)... But I think the question is in principle still valid :wink: I'll stop bugging about it now, it's not really that important...
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

The SystemSoftware is around 30MB. I would assume the author didn't include them because of the size.

Fair enough, I'd say ;)
weitjong
Gnoblar

Post by weitjong »

Where can I find the full source code for the Aupro. The license.txt mentions http://aupro.cogitare.se which is now defunct. I need it to recompile the engine under linux.

edit
just realize aupro also uses EAX extension which is not part of openal package. Looks like AuPro is not suitable for my needs. At least not until Creative releases its closed source driver which support ALSA and openal with EAX effect later this year.
ejevik
Gnoblar

Post by ejevik »

The sound engine AuPro is not in the state to released yet, the team member that’s has writing it are not totally pleasure with the result for the moment, he want to rewrite some bit of code before a complete release of that project (AuPro). So you can say the implementation of AuPro in the game and engine is a sneak peek on what will come. On release it will properly have its on project site on sourceforge.

But for those how want to test creating your own dynamic sound effects for objects, I have written a GUI tool for easy edit the XML file that describes the effect. This tool has been a miner blesses for the sound team, and makes it much simpler to test your effects and algorithm. I will upload it on project page, at first as a windows binary exe, and later on the python source code.

AuPro is by far the most unique thing in the engine, and by far the most complicate to describe, but the output is pure magic. (Sometimes)

Ejevik Game Design/Scriper Monster Engine
neocryptek
Gnome

Post by neocryptek »

I finally got around to playing with this, though it seems none of the materials want to load on my new machine.

Here's a screenshot of what I see when I start it up and load demo.lua. The main menu appears to work fine, I get the "press enter to start" and "loading" text/background just fine. Gameplay looks like it works, too, just hard to see with everything blue!

Here's the Ogre.log.

GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB, driver version 158.22, XP SP2, DirectX renderer (OpenGL crashed).
Glenn101
Gnoblar

Post by Glenn101 »

Oh my god! this is exactly what I need for my First Person Shooter project, this will make it alot more easier to do!
Thankyou very very much!
oddrose
Orc

Post by oddrose »

i'm sorry for being stupid...but where is that wiki page you are talking about?
neocryptek
Gnome

Post by neocryptek »

oddrose wrote:i'm sorry for being stupid...but where is that wiki page you are talking about?
http://monsterengine.wiki.sourceforge.net/
ejevik
Gnoblar

Post by ejevik »

I have created a Tool, Ogrey Tool, for create/import/export Monster Engine Entity files (XMLs). It is in early beta stage. Not all objects are implemented yet but it runs. You can find it in the download section for Monster Engine on the sourceforge projectpage or by the included direct link.
The tool is made in python so it doesn’t use Monster Engine to render, but it can be use as a simple ogre3d mesh viewer also.

Download Ogrey Tool Beta 1 (windows binary and source code):
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfil ... _id=242839

You can find a couple of screenshots here:
http://opengd.wordpress.com/2007/08/18/ogrey/

Ejevik - Game Design/Scripter for Monster Engine