Kong v1.1.0 released

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
AndyCR
Greenskin

Post by AndyCR »

I'm quite happy to see such a high-quality game made with Ogre. Great job!
KuRi
Goblin

Post by KuRi »

What a great game!

I have been playing for a while, and it is awesome.

You should sell it and make some money! (maybe with some story telling mode)

I have created a game and notice someone joined, but i haven't opened my ports, do you have some master server?.

Thanks!
Last edited by KuRi on Sun May 18, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
triton
Greenskin

Post by triton »

KuRi wrote: I have created a game and notice someone joined, but i haven't opened my ports, how do you do that?.
If you are behind a router, you have to open the ports in the configuration panel of the router.
KuRi
Goblin

Post by KuRi »

That's exactly what i mean... i didn't open the ports, but I have created a game and I have played with people over the internet that have joined my game... :shock:

And i don't have any default redirection of all ports to my computer!
Los Frijoles
Greenskin

Post by Los Frijoles »

Maybe your router supports UPnP (I think thats what its called)? That would automatically re-direct your ports.
skoruppa
Gnoblar

Post by skoruppa »

great.. but, im the only person that is waiting for linux version?
Last edited by skoruppa on Sun May 25, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpaceDude
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by SpaceDude »

Actually Kong doesn't support UPnP. But I did implement some NAT punch through techniques with a master server (a master server is needed anyway to keep track of the list of servers). I wasn't able to test this very thoroughly though because I don't have enough computers or people to test it with. I'm glad it works for you.

I've spent some time on porting to linux, it's compiling, linking and running. But there are a few runtime issues I need to work through, get it to work on a wide range of distros and worry about packaging. Well it's not easy so it may take some time.
KuRi
Goblin

Post by KuRi »

Yesterday i was having some problems when trying to connect over internet.

I tried it in a different computer, in a different dsl connection to internet, and I was unable to join a game (when i click join the list window closes, or an incorrect version message appears), and when i created a game (also redirecting the port 5454 to my computer), others were unable to join (same problem as stated before).

Anyway, i enjoy the game a lot.

Regards!
developer_chris
Gnoblar

Post by developer_chris »

Hi!

Congrats on your game, it's soooo well done!

I'm interested in your server-side code though.
Mind telling me how you do intersection etc in your server code?
Are you using OGRE's scene query or other intersection methods?

best of luck to you and your game!
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

developer_chris wrote:Hi!

Congrats on your game, it's soooo well done!

I'm interested in your server-side code though.
Mind telling me how you do intersection etc in your server code?
Are you using OGRE's scene query or other intersection methods?

best of luck to you and your game!
He's using a physics engine, called 'PhysX', so I think he's using the built-in collision detection and raycast features.
SpaceDude
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by SpaceDude »

nikki wrote:He's using a physics engine, called 'PhysX', so I think he's using the built-in collision detection and raycast features.
Yes, correctomundo. OGRE's scene query or other intersection methods are no where near sufficient to replace a proper physics engine and they aren't intended to be. PhysX was recently taken over by NVIDIA, here is the new webpage:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_physx.html

The website may not be quite finished yet, but I believe you can now already get a download of the SDK without having to sign up for an account.
skoruppa
Gnoblar

Post by skoruppa »

SpaceDude: If you want i can make package for Ubuntu 8.04
Game_Ender
Ogre Magi

Post by Game_Ender »

skoruppa wrote:SpaceDude: If you want i can make package for Ubuntu 8.04
Its not open source, so I think SpaceDude prefers to handle the coding himself. Which means you probably won't have any source to compile against the Ubuntu 8.04 libraries. Although it would be nice to see an Ubuntu version, :).
skoruppa
Gnoblar

Post by skoruppa »

But I don't need a sources... binaries are good enough.
If SpaceDude can compile it on Ubuntu 8.04 or newest Debian and send to me binaries I can make .deb package.
SpaceDude
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by SpaceDude »

I'm still kinda working on the Linux version. There are a few issues I need to sort out before I can release it. But thanks for the offer, I'll let you know when I get a working build on Linux.
lf3thn4d
Orc

Post by lf3thn4d »

Umm.. Kong download from filefront seem to be broken? Keep saying no download server. :?
SpaceDude
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by SpaceDude »

lf3thn4d wrote:Umm.. Kong download from filefront seem to be broken? Keep saying no download server. :?
It works for me, I just tried it. What browser are you using? And are you able to download other files from filefront?
lf3thn4d
Orc

Post by lf3thn4d »

Weird. Keep giving me "Your download has failed. There were no available download servers.
Click here to try your download again. Click here to try your download again."
:?

Am using firefox. Same for all other files there. Very weird. I'm downloading from Malaysia. :)
Pola
Gnoblar

Post by Pola »

I got the following error trying to run kong from the start menu. All the ogre demo's in the sdk work fine though so I don't know whats up :( perhaps a vista issue?

Code: Select all

OGRE EXCEPTION(0:IOException): Cannot create settings file. in Root::saveConfig at ..\src\OgreRoot.cpp (line 311)
My laptop specs:
CPU: Intel Core2 t5300 1.73GHz
Ram: 2GB
32-bit Vista Home Premium
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300
AAA-
Gnoblar

Post by AAA- »

Awesome game!

Unfortunately, it crashed on me on the towers map (I think) after launching off one of the jumps
KuRi
Goblin

Post by KuRi »

The problem with Vista is that Windows Vista won't let you applications write anything on Program Files Folder... so you need to execute the game with administrator privileges, or change the file to have full control.

Cheers.
Oogst
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Oogst »

Last Thursday we played Kong for an hour or something at our weekly game night over at the office and I have to say: that was good fun! Nice doing, guys!

We did have two comments on things that kind of limited the fun. The first is the slightly slow pace of the game. We think it should be either 20% faster or have a speed-setting, like Unreal Tournament. The second is that the game hardly informs the player that he is out of ammo. We thought it would be best if the game automatically switches to another gun if you are out of ammo. This is how it works in most games. It is very irritating to be in the middle of a fight and suddenly be wondering why you are not shooting anymore.

Anyway: it is a lot of fun already!
My dev blog
Awesomenauts: platforming MOBA (PC/Mac/Linux/XBox360/X1/PS3/PS4)
Blightbound: coop online dungeon crawler (PC)
Swords & Soldiers: side-scrolling RTS (Switch/PS3/Wii/PC/Mac/Linux/iPhone/iPad/Android)
Proun: abstract racing game (PC)
Cello Fortress: mixing game and live cello performance
The Ageless Gate: cello album
yaxinhoo
Gremlin

Re: Kong v1.1.0 released

Post by yaxinhoo »

Awesome , did this game opensource ?