Hikari (v0.3)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
manowar
Orc

Post by manowar »

Hum, that's weird...flash 9 is definitely installed on my machine. I even have just reinstalled the player from the link you gave me.
Flash 6 must be referenced somewhere on my computer. Anyway thanks for the quick reply.
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by ajs15822 »

manowar wrote:Hum, that's weird...flash 9 is definitely installed on my machine. I even have just reinstalled the player from the link you gave me.
Flash 6 must be referenced somewhere on my computer. Anyway thanks for the quick reply.
To be absolutely sure, you can open up regedit, navigate to COMPUTER\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and scroll down to "ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash". You should also see "ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9" as an entry a little below that and "ShockWaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\CurVer" should have a value of "ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9".

manowar
Orc

Post by manowar »

Thanks. I used the adobe flash uninstaller:
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon ... d=tn_14157

Then reinstalled flash 9 player. It still did not work.

I finally installed http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplaye ... ctiveX.zip

And every is fine now. I finally managed to compile it. Not too sure what messed up everything on my machine. Thanks a lot for your help.
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

I need to access a member function for bind(), but I can't get it to work in main().

myControl->bind("exitPress", Hikari::FlashDelegate(this, &MainMenuState::HikariMenu::onExitPress));
1>..\..\src\main.cpp(261) : error C2673: 'main' : global functions do not have 'this' pointers
1>..\..\src\main.cpp(261) : error C2661: 'Hikari::Impl::fastdelegate::FastDelegate2<Param1,Param2,RetType>::FastDelegate2' : no overloaded function takes 2 arguments
1> with
1> [
1> Param1=Hikari::FlashControl *,
1> Param2=const Hikari::Arguments &,
1> RetType=Hikari::FlashValue
1> ]
What do I need in place of "this" to get it to work in main()?
Zigmar
Halfling

Post by Zigmar »

Good job! We have been using a custom solution to have a flash ui and embeddable flash textures (i.e. youtube videos on screen of tv in 3D space), but your implementation seems to be more robust and clean :)
Maybe we even would able to adapt the Hikari in future and contribute some of our knolange to the project. However, we are striving for a multiplatform solution, which probably means to do something with simulated container for firefox/safari plugin, wich could be also cool addition to Hikari itself if such solution is possible.
Noman
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Noman »

DanielSefton wrote:I need to access a member function for bind(), but I can't get it to work in main().

myControl->bind("exitPress", Hikari::FlashDelegate(this, &MainMenuState::HikariMenu::onExitPress));
1>..\..\src\main.cpp(261) : error C2673: 'main' : global functions do not have 'this' pointers
1>..\..\src\main.cpp(261) : error C2661: 'Hikari::Impl::fastdelegate::FastDelegate2<Param1,Param2,RetType>::FastDelegate2' : no overloaded function takes 2 arguments
1> with
1> [
1> ]
What do I need in place of "this" to get it to work in main()?
It sounds like you are making the call from a global scope. Instead of 'this' you should have a pointer to the MainMenuState::HikariMenu instance that will receive the calls. (If you were inside a HikariMenu method, 'this' would be exactly that)
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

It sounds like you are making the call from a global scope. Instead of 'this' you should have a pointer to the MainMenuState::HikariMenu instance that will receive the calls. (If you were inside a HikariMenu method, 'this' would be exactly that)
You mean like this?

Code: Select all

MainMenuState::HikariMenu* pHikariMenu = new MainMenuState::HikariMenu(hikariMgr, myControl);

myControl->bind("exitClick", Hikari::FlashDelegate(pHikariMenu, &MainMenuState::HikariMenu::onExitClick));
Well, 'this' error has disappeared, but I'm still getting this error (silly puns):
1>..\..\src\main.cpp(468) : error C2661: 'Hikari::Impl::fastdelegate::FastDelegate2<Param1,Param2,RetType>::FastDelegate2' : no overloaded function takes 2 arguments
1> with
1> [
1> ]
So I need to populate it with the full 3 arguments? What's the third, because ajs didn't use it in his example... :?
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by ajs15822 »

Zigmar wrote:Good job! We have been using a custom solution to have a flash ui and embeddable flash textures (i.e. youtube videos on screen of tv in 3D space), but your implementation seems to be more robust and clean :)
Maybe we even would able to adapt the Hikari in future and contribute some of our knolange to the project. However, we are striving for a multiplatform solution, which probably means to do something with simulated container for firefox/safari plugin, wich could be also cool addition to Hikari itself if such solution is possible.
Awesome! I would love some help. :D
DanielSefton wrote:
You mean like this?

MainMenuState::HikariMenu* pHikariMenu = new MainMenuState::HikariMenu(hikariMgr, myControl);

myControl->bind("exitClick", Hikari::FlashDelegate(pHikariMenu, &MainMenuState::HikariMenu::onExitClick));
Well, 'this' error has disappeared, but I'm still getting this error (silly puns):
1>..\..\src\main.cpp(468) : error C2661: 'Hikari::Impl::fastdelegate::FastDelegate2<Param1,Param2,RetType>::FastDelegate2' : no overloaded function takes 2 arguments
1> with
1> [
1> ]
So I need to populate it with the full 3 arguments? What's the third, because ajs didn't use it in his example... :?
I suspect that your callback function (MainMenuState::HikariMenu::onExitClick) does not have the correct function signature. It should follow this form (note the return type and arguments):

FlashValue MyClass::myFunction(FlashControl* caller, const Arguments& args)
{
	// handle stuff
	return FLASH_VOID;
}
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

ajs15822 wrote:I suspect that your callback function (MainMenuState::HikariMenu::onExitClick) does not have the correct function signature. It should follow this form (note the return type and arguments):

FlashValue MyClass::myFunction(FlashControl* caller, const Arguments& args)
{
	// handle stuff
	return FLASH_VOID;
}
Well... It looks like this:

Hikari::FlashValue MainMenuState::HikariMenu::onExitClick(Hikari::FlashControl* pFlashControl, const Hikari::Args& args)
{
	//stuff
	return FLASH_VOID;
}
The reason I used Hikari::Args instead of Hikari::Arguments (I guess that's what's causing the problem, but Args seems to be the same as Arguments) is because Hikari::Arguments spits out a whole bunch of errors:
1>include\MainMenuState.h(18) : error C2371: 'Hikari::Arguments' : redefinition; different basic types
1> include\hikari\FlashValue.h(140) : see declaration of 'Hikari::Arguments'
1> with
1> [
1> ]
1>MainMenuState.cpp
1>include\hikari\FlashValue.h(140) : error C2371: 'Hikari::Arguments' : redefinition; different basic types
1> include\MainMenuState.h(18) : see declaration of 'Hikari::Arguments'
1>include\hikari\FlashValue.h(153) : error C2504: 'Hikari::Arguments' : base class undefined
1>include\hikari\FlashControl.h(226) : error C2440: 'default argument' : cannot convert from 'Hikari::Args' to 'const Hikari::Arguments &'
1> Reason: cannot convert from 'Hikari::Args' to 'const Hikari::Arguments'
1> Source or target has incomplete type
Not sure if it will help, but I'll post the whole code anyway (with Hikari::Arguments):

MainMenuState.h:

namespace Hikari
{
	class HikariManager;
	class FlashControl;
	class FlashValue;
	class Arguments;
}

class MainMenuState
{
public:
class HikariMenu
	{
	public:
		HikariMenu(Hikari::HikariManager* pHikariManager, Hikari::FlashControl* pFlashControl);
		~HikariMenu();

Hikari::FlashValue onExitClick(Hikari::FlashControl* caller, const Hikari::Arguments& args);

private:
		Hikari::HikariManager* m_pHikariManager;
		Hikari::FlashControl* m_pFlashControl;
	};
};
MainMenuState.cpp:

#include "MainMenuState.h"

#include "Hikari.h"

MainMenuState::HikariMenu::HikariMenu(Hikari::HikariManager* pHikariManager, Hikari::FlashControl* pFlashControl)
{
	m_pHikariManager = pHikariManager;
	m_pFlashControl = pFlashControl;
}

MainMenuState::HikariMenu::~HikariMenu()
{
}

Hikari::FlashValue MainMenuState::HikariMenu::onExitClick(Hikari::FlashControl* pFlashControl, const Hikari::Arguments& args)
{
	//stuff
	return FLASH_VOID;
}
main.cpp:

ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by ajs15822 »

The second parameter of the callback must be "const Hikari::Arguments&", there is no escaping that. (Just because the Hikari::Args helper class implicitly converts to Hikari::Arguments, they are not the same thing)

The problem you are having comes down to your forward declaration:

namespace Hikari
{
   class HikariManager;
   class FlashControl;
   class FlashValue;
   class Arguments;
} 
Hikari::Arguments is not a class, it is a typedef for "std::vector<FlashValue>".

Hence the error:

include\hikari\FlashValue.h(140) : error C2371: 'Hikari::Arguments' : redefinition; different basic types 
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

ajs15822 wrote:Hikari::Arguments is not a class, it is a typedef for "std::vector<FlashValue>".
Mhm. Though, if I comment that out, why does it complain that it's not a member of Hikari?

1>include\MainMenuState.h(53) : error C2039: 'Arguments' : is not a member of 'Hikari'
1>include\MainMenuState.h(53) : error C4430: missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int
1>include\MainMenuState.h(53) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ',' before '&'
1>..\..\src\MainMenuState.cpp(81) : error C2511: 'Hikari::FlashValue MainMenuState::HikariMenu::onExitClick(Hikari::FlashControl *,const Hikari::Arguments &)' : overloaded member function not found in 'MainMenuState::HikariMenu'
1>        include\MainMenuState.h(48) : see declaration of 'MainMenuState::HikariMenu'
Thanks for your help. I'm sure this is simple stuff, but I'm really not with it today. :P

Btw, do you know how Scaleform works? That uses Flash, but I'm wondering whether or not you are planning to take Hikari in that direction. It's also cross-platform, so somehow they've managed to get Flash/C++ to work on Mac/Linux. My question is, what will we see in future versions of Hikari?
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by ajs15822 »

I think you would make it a lot easier on yourself if you just forgot about the forward-declarations and included "Hikari.h" directly in your header.
Btw, do you know how Scaleform works? That uses Flash, but I'm wondering whether or not you are planning to take Hikari in that direction. It's also cross-platform, so somehow they've managed to get Flash/C++ to work on Mac/Linux. My question is, what will we see in future versions of Hikari?
Scaleform, based on GameSWF, is totally different from Hikari-- using a totally custom implementation, it loads SWF files, interprets the ActionScript, tesselates the vectors into triangles, and ultimately uses 3D hardware API's (OpenGL/DX) to render/composite the geometry into the final product.

Hikari is less ambitious-- it uses the actual Adobe Flash software renderer and blits the result to a dynamic texture.

Comparing the two:

- Hikari is totally compatible with the actual Flash spec and uses the native ActionScript engine, Scaleform has limited compatibility
- Hikari uses a software renderer (at least until Flash 10+) and blits to a texture (slower rendering during high animation), Scaleform uses a hardware renderer and its performance is independent of movie size
- Hikari is ideal for movies that have a limited amount of animation because between texture updates the FlashControl acts as a billboard, whereas Scaleform is less ideal for such situations because the geometric complexity (the triangle count) of the movie is a constant factor.
- Hikari benefits directly from Adobe's Flash Player updates, Scaleform does not
- Hikari is Windows-only (for now), Scaleform is cross-platform
- Hikari is totally free and open-source, Scaleform is absolutely not (quoted at $10,000+)
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

I'm not quite sure how much "Hardware rendering" will be in flash 10. I think it will be less than most people hope (if they knew what true hardware rendering would mean for Flash, I think most people would not be so keen on the idea). I'll need check with a few people who have the Flash 10 beta, but I believe most of the rendering is still done by the CPU.
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by ajs15822 »

Praetor wrote:I'm not quite sure how much "Hardware rendering" will be in flash 10. I think it will be less than most people hope (if they knew what true hardware rendering would mean for Flash, I think most people would not be so keen on the idea). I'll need check with a few people who have the Flash 10 beta, but I believe most of the rendering is still done by the CPU.
Yeah, according to an actual Flash engineer, it seems that Flash 10's hardware-acceleration only applies to compositing and video-scaling. Nevertheless, I'm still excited to see that the player is moving towards GPU-acceleration.
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

ajs15822 wrote:I think you would make it a lot easier on yourself if you just forgot about the forward-declarations and included "Hikari.h" directly in your header.
Bah, I'm such an idiot sometimes. :P Thanks. Despite a successful compile, events still don't work. But I'll have a look tomorrow.

I also noticed something strange with the buttons... If you add a 'down' state (third keyframe in any button symbol), it doesn't seem to work so well. Sometimes when I click the button, it doesn't reach its down state and looks as if you never pressed it. It's probably just me, but it might be worth taking a look. It's not a huge problem, just slightly irritating.

Would Hikari work well as a replacement for overlays? i.e. for HUD elements. Say, in my game I need a speedo and various other animated elements. Would it be efficient to overlay a SWF over the whole viewport, with a transparent canvas? How would I go about that?

Apart from cross-platform, Flash Player 10, speed improvements etc. Are there any other features you are planning to implement?

Sorry for my endless queries; anyone that owns Flash will know just how valuable something like this is. I've been looking for a Flash/C++ library for months (Navi was an overkill for what we needed). For a first release, Hikari is quite remarkable.
Last edited by DanielSefton on Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy
Greenskin

Post by Murphy »

DanielSefton wrote:Would it be efficient to overlay a SWF over the whole viewport, with a transparent canvas?
No. Build the individual pieces and place them in the viewport at specific locations. This will support many resolutions and be much faster to render and copy.
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

Murphy wrote:
DanielSefton wrote:Would it be efficient to overlay a SWF over the whole viewport, with a transparent canvas?
No. Build the individual pieces and place them in the viewport at specific locations. This will support many resolutions and be much faster to render and copy.
Ah, right. Of course. I was just paranoid that multiple SWFs would slow it down. Still wondering about the transparent canvas though (haven't had chance to look yet, it's probably something simple).
dominic1988
Kobold

Post by dominic1988 »

just a curious question, does hikari supports multiple resolutions and is there a way to call variables inside actionscript from c++
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

dominic1988 wrote:just a curious question, does hikari supports multiple resolutions and is there a way to call variables inside actionscript from c++
When creating a SWF instance, you can define the height and width as the dimensions of the viewport, then update it each frame to check for window resizing. Or just update the dimensions every time the user changes the resolution. For a full screen SWF, you will have to define a tiling background within Flash itself using ActionScript, then update the positions of the elements according to the size of the stage. There's various tutorials around the web; just search "full screen flash" in Google.

Check out the Wiki page for info on communication between ActionScript and C++:

http://code.google.com/p/hikari-library ... munication
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

ajs15822 wrote: Yeah, according to an actual Flash engineer, it seems that Flash 10's hardware-acceleration only applies to compositing and video-scaling. Nevertheless, I'm still excited to see that the player is moving towards GPU-acceleration.
I'm not so much. Here's the issue: Flash's major selling point is that it works the same on all machines everywhere. Some may run faster, some slower, but it is all the same. As soon as you start putting in hardware-only paths that won't happen anymore. The most important thing about flash will be broken. I especially hope they resist the urge to add hardware-only features (like shaders).
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

Praetor wrote:I'm not so much. Here's the issue: Flash's major selling point is that it works the same on all machines everywhere. Some may run faster, some slower, but it is all the same. As soon as you start putting in hardware-only paths that won't happen anymore. The most important thing about flash will be broken. I especially hope they resist the urge to add hardware-only features (like shaders).
Actually, shaders are exactly what they are adding in FP10 with Astro. Which is one of the main reasons for Adobe using hardware acceleration. Yes Flash's major selling point is its independancy, but its biggest advantage is also its biggest disadvantage. Software rendering draws a line as to what Adobe can achieve e.g. true 3D was out of the question prior to version 10. Hardware acceleration is necessary to take it further.
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

Are you sure these are actual hardware shaders? If what I'm seeing about it is true then hardware is used for video, scaling, and compositing. The shader features could be available in the compositing portion, but I believe that has more to do with wmode than anything. The shaders may be a system designed to mimic hardware shaders but are in fact emulated completely in the CPU.

[EDIT] From what research I can pull up Hydra is "based" on GLSL (not necessarily meaning it translate into or is run through in any way. I believe they mean at the language level) and that the processing has "some elements of hardware acceleration." But then most of the comments about it reiterate that almost all of the rendering is still done on the CPU.
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

After banging my head against a brick wall for hours, I just noticed that you have to use AS3 for ExternalInterface() to work. :evil: Everything is perfect now!

So basically, you need Flash 8 and above. Otherwise your stuffed.

Did you mention that it required AS3? I don't recall, but if you did, then that's another case of my stupidity. You really need to make it obvious, otherwise anyone hoping to use AS2 will be scratching their head for eternity (like muggins here). :roll:
ajs15822
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by ajs15822 »

DanielSefton wrote:
Murphy wrote:
Ah, right. Of course. I was just paranoid that multiple SWFs would slow it down. Still wondering about the transparent canvas though (haven't had chance to look yet, it's probably something simple).
You could theoretically create a Flash overlay that covers the entire viewport but unless you're really going to use a lot of the space, it's a waste of texture memory. As Murphy said, it's a bit more optimal to break your interface components down into multiple FlashControls (makes for faster update performance as well).
dominic1988 wrote:just a curious question, does hikari supports multiple resolutions and is there a way to call variables inside actionscript from c++
The SWF should scale to whatever dimensions you create the FlashControl with. To specify dimensions relative to the viewport, you could do something like this:

hikariMgr->createFlashOverlay("myControl", viewport, viewportWidth * 0.35, viewportHeight * 0.25, Position(TopLeft), 0);
I'm contemplating adding better support for resizing/relative-dimensions later.
DanielSefton wrote:After banging my head against a brick wall for hours, I just noticed that you have to use AS3 for ExternalInterface() to work. :evil: Everything is perfect now!

So basically, you need Flash 8 and above. Otherwise your stuffed.

Did you mention that it required AS3? I don't recall, but if you did, then that's another case of my stupidity. You really need to make it obvious, otherwise anyone hoping to use AS2 will be scratching their head for eternity (like muggins here). :roll:
I just looked it up and it seems that AS2 certainly does support ExternalInterface but its usage is a little different from AS3. Two things you need to be aware of:

You need to explicitly import the ExternalInterface class:

import flash.external.ExternalInterface;
Also, ExternalInterface::addCallback is different in AS2, it takes three parameters instead of two (the second one is the object, usually "this"):

ExternalInterface.addCallback("myFunction", this, myFunction);
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

DanielSefton is right though, ExternalInterface was introduced in Flash 8. So that is the hard limit.