Kenshi - A free roaming squad based RPG (Trailer!)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

Kenshi - A free roaming squad based RPG (Trailer!)

Post by Captain_Deathbeard »

-->>UPDATE AUGUST 2011: Trailer page 4:<<--
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 66#p438066

-->>UPDATE APRIL 2010: Screens page 3:<<--
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 8&start=50

Kenshi is a free-roaming Role-Playing Real-Time Strategy. Its squad-based, meaning you have a whole team of characters who can split up and go to different ends of the world. The game world is 400 square km of seamless terrain with a world map screen for fast-travel, Fallout style. You can play with one character, or with 50, and there are advantages to both. Combat is real-time and is based on swords and bows, action beat-em up style but with RPG stats influencing the outcome. No Magic.
This game of mine has actually been in design for almost 10 years as I learned game development, restarted 3 times, got sidetracked by jobs, and lost 3 years to RSI, and lost another 2 years to Scythe Physics Editor. I actually work on it full-time, and get by on a part-time job on the weekends. Its my dream, and I have so far turned down 2 game industry job offers so that I can pursue it.

Its basically a combination of all the best elements of my favorite games. Its got the squad-based adventure of Jagged Alliance 2, the depth and management of X-com, the freedom of Oblivion, the purpose of Elite, and the soul of Fallout.

FEATURES
400sq/km of seamless terrain
GOAP AI system that allows planning for long-term goals
Motion captured real-time combat system
Totally free-form gameplay

PROGRESS
Physics, Scythe and ragdolls
Terrain and collision
Combat System
Paper-doll inventory system
GOAP AI system
RTS-style building and level editing
Movement, mass combat
Game Construction Set

Stuff I'm using:

Ogre (duh)
Scythe Physics Editor
AdVantage Terrain, with Falagards wrapper
PhysX
Caelum
QuickGui

http://www.lofigames.com

Very old screenshots now:

See the cut over her eye? thats dynamically generated:

The game has a construction set similar to the Elder Scrolls games. Its designed to be flexible, so I can easily add new item types and properties without affecting the file format, it just goes straight to the game code.
Last edited by Captain_Deathbeard on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:40 am, edited 12 times in total.
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

Looks like a great start - most people completely skip building tools at all and just jump into it, so it's good to see you've got that going.

Also, small/quick tip: crank up Anti-Aliasing before you take screenshots you plan to show off. It's almost free in terms of performance these days and it helps the quality of the shots immeasurably.

Speaking of performance, what kind of machine were you running this on?
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

Yeah, I regret the non-antialiasing now.

Its a geforce 7800, dual core AMD something or other, and trusty 4GB of RAM. Bear in mind though, most shots have V-Sync on so frame rate is limited to 60-70.

There is a lot of optimisation to do obviously, especially the terrain blood decals made the frame rate plummet and needs fixing
leonardoaraujo.santos
Greenskin

Post by leonardoaraujo.santos »

Great job. Any Demo ??

I´m downloading the Falagard Advantage library and compiling with Ogre 1.4.9 and Visual C++ 9 (Compiled Ok and worked nice).

Do you know if this SceneManager allows me to do normal scene querys like others sceneManagers? (Ray Scene query and stuff)

I will try to integrate it with NxOgre.

Thanks man.
dudeabot
Gnome

Post by dudeabot »

wow, incredible :)

you have something very solid there, good luck (i emailed you also :) ).
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

I have not tried it with ray scene queries actually, so I dont know. I use PhysX for all collision and rays, so I never use Ogre raycasts.

I just generate the PhysX collision based on the heightmap image. Its good that way because if you change terrain systems you still have collision.

No demo, demo only for team members! But I do intend to do a video soon.
HexiDave
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by HexiDave »

leonardoaraujo.santos wrote:Great job. Any Demo ??

I´m downloading the Falagard Advantage library and compiling with Ogre 1.4.9 and Visual C++ 9 (Compiled Ok and worked nice).

Do you know if this SceneManager allows me to do normal scene querys like others sceneManagers? (Ray Scene query and stuff)

I will try to integrate it with NxOgre.

Thanks man.
Not to thread-jack, but why didn't SPT's ray-queries work for you? You just didn't feel like having an extra function to handle what TSM does internally?
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

Looks cool, Cap'n!
leonardoaraujo.santos
Greenskin

No problem hexidave I'm just studying ogre again (Reading the ogre book) and want to know how can I make collision detection and to know how could I convert mouse coordinates to world coordinates (Like the ogre tutorials did) without ray query.
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

ray scene query is a separate function to getScreenToWorldCoordinates(), you get an Ogre::Ray from that and can use that Ray in a Physics engine trace function instead of ogres
buckED
Greenskin

Post by buckED »

that is exactly the thing I was hoping to stumble across one day in the showcase :)

Jagged alliance 2 you say? oO
Oblivion you say? oO

when will it be in a releasable state? hopefully not another 10 years. :D
What kind of combat system are you planning on?
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

~ Thomas Edison ~
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

I suppose I am aiming to finish by 2011, but its just an estimate.

The combat is real time, and I can't really compare it to any other game because its quite original. You will have to wait for the videos! ETA: 3-4 weeks.
Aiursrage2k
Greenskin

Post by Aiursrage2k »

Nice, I especially like the blood fountain picture. Blood soaked battlefield
buckED
Greenskin

Post by buckED »

You will have to wait for the videos! ETA: 3-4 weeks.
I definitely will :) I checked out the game's homepage, sound pretty neat so far.

[Edit] Oh yaeh and the character portraits ... very original :D [/Edit]
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

~ Thomas Edison ~
rogerdv
Gnome

Post by rogerdv »

Watchng this help motivate less skilled developers. Thanks for sharing!
lonewolff
Ogre Magi

Post by lonewolff »

This looks set to be awesome!
I'll be checking back on this one. 8)
leonardoaraujo.santos
Greenskin

Hi Captain_Deathbeard I'm studying how to use the Advantage terrain in ogre (Using falgards) scenemanagers. Could you show us how to create your own terrain and then export to scene manager. Did you use LT3D?

Another question did you use the same technique that was on the tutorials to avoid trespassing on the terrain (Intermediate tutorial 2). In past posts I've write a similar question about scene queries, and you told-me that you used the heighmap to make colisions (Do you load the heighmap in memory to make allcolisions)
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

I create a 16-bit raw in Worldmachine, convert to 16-bit tiff, then use the Advantage converters to convert the whole thing to a .avst file. Theres an example in the advantage SDK that should should it all being done.

I am not aware of the technique in tutorial 2, what do you mean by "trespassing"?

For collision, I load the entire raw map into physX at the start. PhysX is cool with this, it will do its own partitioning and optimisation, so you can just give it a huge un-optimised mesh with no worries. I have been doing this using the heightmap data, but I think this has inaccuracies now so I will have to get the raw data from advantage somehow.

Then you just use the PhysX ray-tracing instead of ogres.
leonardoaraujo.santos
Greenskin

Thanks Captain_Deathbeard I installed the Worldmachine basic edition and start to work with it (Did you converted the 16-bit raw to tiff inside world machine right? Or there is other tool to convert it)

And sorry about my english(I am brazilian).... when I talk about "trespassing" I meaned to avoid the camera and objects to pass through the terrain. (Like in the Intermediate tutorials in ogre wiki)

Oh by the way I'm using the Thieum´s scene manager in http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 6f4e2718c6

I think it has some improvements since the older Falagard dont work with the newer version of AdvantageSDK

Thanks for your help man.
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

I am working on the medical system at the moment. I believe its an important element of the combat for injuries to have a lasting realistic effect, because a real-life battle is about attrition of wounds and exhaustion. Most battles will end up with the participants stumbling around trying to get a last slash at each other. It also greatly blurs the line between life and death allowing for you to keep characters alive without saving and reloading all the time.

There is a locational damage system, characters can now limp and clutch hands to wounds on different body areas. There is also localised bodypart ragdoll, so individual limbs can go limp when they are disabled. Later on I will add crawling (with ragdoll legs), concussion and random stumbling, dropping from exhaustion, carrying wounded buddies, vomiting blood… all kinds of fun stuff.

damaged right arms:

If the characters sword arm is damaged, it goes limp and they drop their weapon:

In this image the lady in red has a disabled left arm and is fighting one-handed

By the way I am still looking for artists and a shader programmer.
yapdakilla
Goblin

Post by yapdakilla »

Hey those lasting injuries thingy is a really cool idea. :D will the characters be having battle scars? Also if a characters limb is choppable would that make the other limb stronger as in the player practices more on that remaining body part.

Example. Right handed warrior loses right arm. now wields sword with left arm. Will the left arms attack grow stronger with each attack ?
Captain_Deathbeard
Gremlin

Yes, major cuts are visible and leave permanent scars. You can see in one of the images someone has cuts on her face. It is dynamic at the moment, but that requires a unique texture for each character so I might have to just have a pool of predefined textures for it.

And yeah, the character can use the other hand if one is disabled or lost, and it will cause an ability penalty and can be trained. I would like to have artificial replacement limbs, but I am not sure how to fit such an advanced tech into the game world :p
SaiCo
Halfling

Post by SaiCo »

Captain_Deathbeard wrote: I would like to have artificial replacement limbs, but I am not sure how to fit such an advanced tech into the game world :P
hmm, lemme think :
1. Military tech in a spirit of limb replacements from "Starsip troopers" (the book). Biomechanichal stuff hooked up to nervous system- same tech like in exoskeletons. Should be limited to high-standing military enclaves.
2. "Spiritual" solution- "apocalypse" unhooked in some people ability to shape biomatter thus there are few that can make limbs grow (in a salamander manner), that also means some can "shape" monsters or "perfect beings" ...
Those like "the usual" .. it all depends on your world mechanics - i'm thinking in "generic falloutish" setting. Still, from my point of view if someone moves to point of recieving such injury, he's dead anyways (thinking in RL terms not HP-ridden game)- assuming both fight with killing opponent as a goal. But I see fight as lots of manoeuvring finished with single cut. Not game-is/hollywoodish flair :P

Anyways, nice project!
all project's dead .. maybe time for something on me own :/
CABAListic
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by CABAListic »

Certainly nice work. But I wonder how this is going to work gameplay-wise? It's not exactly fun watching your character limp to a desired location (thereby taking ages to reach it). And the big question: What would keep a player from reloading to prevent a permanent injury (which presents, after all, a severe limitation to the character's ability)?

Not that I don't find the idea interesting, but from my experience such features usually hurt gameplay, and I'm curious how you are going to solve that :)
Brainshack
Greenskin

Post by Brainshack »

How exactly is this injury thing made? Are these all single animations, or do you mix some animations? Like walking and grabbing the arm etc?