Rastullahs Lockenwickler

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
SomeFusion
Gremlin

Rastullahs Lockenwickler

Post by SomeFusion »

Hi,

today, we would like to introduce our new homegrown editor project for Rastullahs Lockenpracht.
Our editor is called "Lockenwickler" which means "curler" in English ;). For more information about Rastullahs Lockenpracht visit
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16730

Lockenwickler is not meant to be a general-purpose Ogre scene editor, it is pretty much tied to the module format of Rastullahs Lockenpracht.
Like all of our source code the editor source can be retrieved from the "Rastullahs Lockenpracht" SVN repository. The editor is published under the GPL license.
The whole thing is written using Python, Python-Ogre and PyQt4. These three components work well together.
The editor was tested in Linux and Windows and should work equally well under both platforms.

The features that work at the moment:

- Saving and loading of our Rastullahs Lockenpracht compatible modules which are based on .scene
- Adding new scenes and maps to the scenes in the scene explorer
- Translation, rotation and scaling of scene object
- Newly placed objects get automatically assigned to the currently selected map
- Browse materials in the material browser and assign any material to any object
- GOF files (game object definitions) can be loaded and edited in a tree view
- The user interface is based on dock widgets and can customised
- There is a New-Module-wizard which creates a basic module
- Pixel exact object selection
- Object properties can be edited in the property editor

Our levels are called "Modules" in our engine. They can have multiple scenes which in turn can be split up again in different maps.

And since a video says more than a thousand words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ZKMbLtXYY and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-1ekVyv19o
Caphalor
Greenskin

Re: Rastullahs Lockenwickler

Post by Caphalor »

Hahaha, "Rastullahs Lockenwickler", nice name. :lol:
And great videos, your editor seems to be simple and powerful. Maybe I will copy some ideas for my project. :twisted: (just joking of course...)
It is also good to see that you achieve some progress, when can we expect a Techdemo 3? :)
Generated with vBaum - voxel based procedural geometry generator with python interface.
Nargil
Greenskin

Post by Nargil »

I love the preview app crashing everytime you close it ;)
Beside that good work.
Hardcore libertarian, hardcore programmer.
Dell M6300: T9300, 4GB, Quadro FX1600M, 17" 1920x1200p non-glare, OCZ Vertex 120 + external Seagate 120GB 7200.3
Use the power of 2 - literally. Non 2^n texture sizes may crash your graphic driver
dudeabot
Gnome

Post by dudeabot »

looks very good :) especially the copy and paste function

i saw a screenshot like a castle, did you do it using this editor?

ps: where i download the source?

i found this on the wiki : svn co http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/dsa-hl/rl/trunk rl, is this the last version? the wiki is in german :)
SomeFusion
Gremlin

Post by SomeFusion »

Thank you guys :)

@Caphalor, I don't mind when peoply use my ides and improve upon them, thats what open source is all about :)
I don't know yet when we have something more to show at the moment, the development was going quite slow for rastullahs.
But recently some people woke up from their winter sleep and development has picked up alot of speed again.
I'm quite happy about that at the moment :)

@Nargil, hoped nobody would notice that :roll: :)

@dudeabot, No the editor can't and propably won't ever do geometry itself. Everything is build using some modeling app.
The two screenshots you see here are from modules that have been build by hand before the editor even existed.
I use them as a benchmark how many of the features they have build into are loaded and saved back by the editor.

Yes thats our repository, almost all of the wiki is written in german.
Summoning Wars is an open source role-playing game, featuring both a single-player and a multiplayer mode for about 2 to 8 players.
http://www.sumwars.org
dudeabot
Gnome

Post by dudeabot »

ok, i think you misunderstood my question :D

i asked that because they were placed very well, like a snap-to fetaure ;)
Azatoth
Gnome

Post by Azatoth »

Looking really good. Having good editing tools is key for any game or world, and this looks like it's both powerful and easy to use.
Ember, GPL virtual world client.
Development blog
SomeFusion
Gremlin

Post by SomeFusion »

@dudeabot, there is no snaping feature at the moment. :) Everything has to be done by moving with the pivot or setting the values in the property editor

@Azatoth, and its so much fun programming this thing and I'm learning alot along the way.
Summoning Wars is an open source role-playing game, featuring both a single-player and a multiplayer mode for about 2 to 8 players.
http://www.sumwars.org
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Nice work! Looks very intuitive, and I'm glad to see it's based on Qt so it's cross-platform.