Alimer Game Engine (Beta Stage)

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
boyamer
Orc

Re: Alimer Game Engine (Beta Stage)

Post by boyamer »

Wolfmanfx wrote:I also use my own wrapper generated via swig which generates a PINVOKE cpp file, and it does not feel laggy or slow. ( i mean the runtime performance and not the generation time ;) )
Nice,i'm not using swig,i've generated PINVOKE file by myself,for example i have even done the inheritance,for example you can create your own MovableObject.

Code: Select all

public class Particle : CustomMovableObject,IDisposable
{

#region OVERRIDE FROM PARENT

protected override void UpdateRenderQueue(RenderQueue queue)
		{

}

public override BoundingBox BoundingBox
		{
			get 
			{
				throw new NotImplementedException("Particle can't be used as MovableObject");
			}
		}

public override float BoundingRadius 
		{
			get
			{
				return 0.0f;
			}
		}

public override string MovableType 
		{
			get 
			{
				return "Particle";
			}
		}
		#endregion
}	
Just like you would do in C++.
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

syd wrote:
Beauty wrote: An other way for Mono support would be to use the common SWIG wrapper, which was used by OgreDotNet.
that's how he did it. he wrapped Ogre into pure C functions, and uses PInvoke (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa712982).

msdn wrote: PInvoke has an overhead of between 10 and 30 x86 instructions per call. In addition to this fixed cost, marshaling creates additional overhead. There is no marshaling cost between blittable types that have the same representation in managed and unmanaged code. For example, there is no cost to translate between int and Int32.

For higher performance, it may be necessary to have fewer PInvoke calls that marshal as much data as possible, rather than have more calls that marshal less data per call. Or somewhat more memorably: prefer a chunky over a chatty API.
so, is Alimer's wrapper chunky or chatty? :wink:
I think its quite high performance :)
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Wolfmanfx »

Inheriance from c++ is also possible via swig ( it works good) also you can use operator overloading. It is sexy to auto generate stuff like that. Respect for your handwork i am too lazy for such things :(
debdatta_basu
Kobold

Post by debdatta_basu »

IIRC, Pinvoke does not work with mono....
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

The article is about CLI.
Is PINVOKE the same technique like C++/CLI?
If yes, would it be possible to run Mogre applications on Mono, too?
(I ask, because I read this wouldn't be possible.)

Sorry for hitch hike this thread. Should we create a new thread in the Mogre section of the add-ons forum?
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Nope,c++/cli can run on mono only if compiled with /safe mode ,otherwise not ( see this : http://www.mono-project.com/CPlusPlus),instread PINVOKE runs easily on mono and Linux,Mac OSX etc.
Hope this helps

Amer Koleci
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Just to keep you informed,recently we found out a nice game engine,called nGENE (http://ngene.wikidot.com/start),and as it has a lot of nice feature we've started to implement those features into our engine.
So the first thing we've started out was deferred rendering system,check the screenshot.
We was thinking about creating full .NET version of Ogre + nGENE ( so it can work even on XNA and so on XBOX 360 and other platforms).
What do you think about this?
Do you think is better idea to keep wrapped ogre version for .NET or create full unmanaged .NET version?

P.S: don't worry about shadow maps,those should be still implemented.

Thanks

koirat
Orc

Post by koirat »

If you make it full unmanaged .NET with Ogre 1.7 features. Damn it will be my first engine that I would buy :P. Ability to make games on 360 is just to good of a feature.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Bostich
Gnoblar

Post by Bostich »

koirat wrote:If you make it full unmanaged .NET with Ogre 1.7 features. Damn it will be my first engine that I would buy :P. Ability to make games on 360 is just to good of a feature.

Hi Koirat,

just use Axiom 3D for that. It is currently @ Ogre 1.2 and still under developement. Borrilis (the maintainer) is doing a great job there.

//Bostich
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Bostich is right,you can use Axiom,its quite stable and with nice features.Check it out :)
koirat
Orc

Post by koirat »

Yes I know Axiom.
But thanks anyway.
What scares me with it is "1.2" <-- it's even before I knew about ogre existance.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

The 2D stuff sounds really great. I know this is a commercial engine, but it's something I and many others would love to have as a library. I've been crying for something like this to use in my iPhone game. :)
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Thanks DanielSefton.

We're near the release,we plan to release the first public version until 15 of this month.
Out testers have done very very nice work.
Currently we're working on finishing the whole 2D stuff,maybe this weekend i'll pubblish a video.
We're working on documentation too http://www.alimerengine.com/wiki/index.php,you can keep looking on pages to see how to start the first game,load scene,create your SceneComponents,usage of Sandbox and so.
I would ask you to join the forum and maybe made requests there.

I'll keep you informed

Cheers,
Amer Koleci
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

How many people are creating your Alimer engine?

Yes, a video would be nice :D
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Me as main producer (programming), we have model artist,documentation and tutorials manteiner,but soon we'll search one more programmers.
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

What do you think about future AlimerEngine Sandbox version?
Vote here: http://www.alimerengine.com/public/phpB ... hp?f=3&t=8
pratty70
Gnome

Post by pratty70 »

DanielSefton wrote:The 2D stuff sounds really great. I know this is a commercial engine, but it's something I and many others would love to have as a library. I've been crying for something like this to use in my iPhone game. :)
Agreed. I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw this thread - I'm watching it with great interest. keep up the good work.
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

On the Alimer website is the link First release : Alimer Engine 0.1.
But when I click to this link, there is no download place.
Somewhere in the linked page is a link called download, but this is only refering the same (currently showed) page.
I suppose something is wrong ...
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

We're not dead... We're comming out with a fantastic new engine,do you had even dream about using Ogre with XNA ?
I know there is Axiom but we've rewritten part of Ogre (ported to C#) and merged with part of nGENE (http://ngene.wikidot.com/) for creating a stunning
next gen engine using full Deferred shading system,rewritten material system,compositor framework and so.

We're using XNA into the Sandbox with full usage of XNA content pipeline,you know what i'm talking about?
You can import FBX,DirectX,Collada,3DS, ogre .mesh directly using the pipeline (That rocks)
and what about this ? http://www.udk.com/features-shaders

Well yes,we've created a shader node system like UDK does (I'll post screenshots later)
So this means:

Alimer Engine will fully be used to create games both DirectX and XNA (Windows,XBox 360 and Windows Phone), we'll add support for OpenGL too.
No wrapper and its fully .NET :)

Cheers
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

The download link on www.alimerengine.com is still with dead end (as I posted 11 days ago).

The nGENE engine is also written in C++.
So it seems to be a huge work to port all needed code of Ogre and nGENE to C#.
Also it would be much work to maintain the code, because all updates and bugfixes has to be inserted manually to Alimer. Respect for your choice to go this hard way.

Is it a new way for Alimer to use parts of the nGENE engine? Or did you forget to announce it before?
If I understood right, you wrote your own wrapper (manually) for Ogre. Also you started to write an new autowrapper for Ogre.
Are the wrapper plans broken now? (This would mean that much of your work would go into the dustbin.)

I didn't look to XNA until now. But to have a powerful content pipeline would be a good feature.

Alimar is realy an interesting project - I'm curious about it's future and like to try it.
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Well lets we want to keep 2 version:
1) The before announched before, using Ogre wrapped using PINVOKE and same Sandbox
2) Mixed version full .NET using Ogre part and nGENE part if this has nothing to do with license terms of Ogre (any Ogre expert can explain this please?)
in this way you can use XNA and SlimDX (so create games for XBOX 360 would be possible)
3) Use c++ wrapped PINVOKE version for rest (OSX,Linux,IPhone) etc.
As i know Ogre is MIT License so i could change code and maybe add things i need.
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Just wanted to showcase the WIP shader node editor used into engine:
[youtube]ublyy7KIlUk[/youtube]

I think that it will be probably released separatly and give you users possibility to generate HLSL, GLSL and even Cg shader working on GLES2.0.

What do you think?
toglia
Gnome

Post by toglia »

wow this is impresive, although hours of shader work might make you dizzy...? Lol :P
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

boyamer wrote:What do you think?
It looks very impressive.
A seperate publication would be fine for common Ogre users, even if they don't use Alimer.

By the way - your Alimer website is still dead ...