Waveit Web Player

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
maylivios
Gnoblar

Waveit Web Player

Post by maylivios »

I just put the character and jaiqua demos on the web through our webplayer.

Use the arrow keys to move and press left mouse button to look around.

(the site is in portuguese but the webplayer starts automatically so you don't need to read anything)

Have a look.

http://www.waveit.com.br/webplayer [Jaiqua]
http://www.waveit.com.br/webplayer2 [Sinbad (with sound!)]

EDITED: [2011-jul-11]

Waveit Web Player goes Open Source!

Source code + VC9 sln + Eclipse project + Example app.
https://github.com/maylson/Waveit-Web-Player

Any question, just ask here.

Thanks.
Last edited by maylivios on Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Re: Waveit Webplayer

Post by Jabberwocky »

That's pretty cool to control Sinbad in a web browser. It worked flawlessly for me (Vista+Firefox).

I'm pretty clueless to how something like this works - what are the limitations? Can waveit potentially run any ogre3d-based graphical application, or is there a lot of custom code to get a particular Ogre3D sample to work?
maylivios
Gnoblar

Post by maylivios »

I'm pretty clueless to how something like this works - what are the limitations? Can waveit potentially run any ogre3d-based graphical application, or is there a lot of custom code to get a particular Ogre3D sample to work?
Let me explain a bit about our intention with that. We have developed a engine (Waveit Engine) for rapidly build 3D interactive virtual environments. We would like to deploy these applications on our customers' website in a easy way, just as Unity3D webplayer does, but we weren't too happy in buying a full-featured Unity3D license or force users to install unity webplayer first. We would like to use our own engine.

The Waveit Webplayer is in a early stage of development, so I can't point out the many limitations that we will probably figure out along the way. But for now, we are facing problems with mouse and keyboard input using OIS, because I can't get the browser hwnd from Java and seems that OIS doesn't work with embedded window.

Supposing you are using MS VC:
In order to avoid user from having to install anything else except Java plugin (which is already present in 88% of PCs), you need to statically link your app with MS CRT dlls. Otherwise the end-user will have to install msvc_redist. Which is not good in my opinion for non-gamer users.

But if you don't care about it, if your audience is composed mainly by gamers, you will just need to write a few methods in your application to use Waveit Webplayer with your current code:

initialise();
update();
shutdown();

and compile your app as a DLL.

What do you think?

To deployu on web, just upload the game files and dll's to the server and put the following code in the webpage:

<script
src="http://www.java.com/js/deployJava.js">
</script>

<script>
var attributes = {code:'WaveitWebplayer.class', width:1024, height:480, archive:'Sample1.jar'} ;
var parameters = {jnlp_href: 'Sample.jnlp', separate_jvm: 'true'} ;
deployJava.runApplet(attributes, parameters, '1.6');
</script>
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

What do you think?
I think that's totally cool!
The load time to get the sinbad waveit sample going was pretty quick too.
Impressive stuff.
dermont
Bugbear

Post by dermont »

Jabberwocky wrote:
What do you think?
I think that's totally cool!
The load time to get the sinbad waveit sample going was pretty quick too.
Impressive stuff.
if you are interested in embedding ogre in a web page you should take a look at firebreath:
http://code.google.com/p/firebreath/

To get a simple demo up and running is relatively easy and would probably only take an afternoons work.
so0os
Bugbear

Post by so0os »

Sounds like a malware tool. You'd have to feature a validation process for third party apps written for this plugin. Anyways, good job!
Sos Sosowski :)
http://www.sos.gd
JamesKilton
Halfling

Post by JamesKilton »

That's pretty neat. So it's a Java Applet that delegates down via JNI to whatever app DLL you hook up to the player? What kind of framerates are you getting with this setup vs running the app natively?

Also it seems to be crashing right now, can't find some widget class.
Ogre.rb Project Lead
maylivios
Gnoblar

Post by maylivios »

Sounds like a malware tool. You'd have to feature a validation process for third party apps written for this plugin. Anyways, good job!
Yes, I do agree with you. That's why we have to sign all JAR files required to run any app deployed with the webplayer. If the end-user trust the website, fine. If not, just cancel it. Also, the website should provide some info to the users read before they click "run" (what is the app intended for, what the user should do, etc).

But at the end, it's best than force the user to download and install something before run the app, IMO. :wink:

maylivios
Gnoblar

Post by maylivios »

That's pretty neat. So it's a Java Applet that delegates down via JNI to whatever app DLL you hook up to the player?
Yes, exactly. It uses JNI to make to bridge between native Ogre and Java.
What kind of framerates are you getting with this setup vs running the app natively?
In our tests, we haven't noticed any performance slow down with the webplayer so far. Once Java just holds the Ogre render window hwnd, it should not be a bottleneck even in large and heavy apps.

Also it seems to be crashing right now, can't find some widget class.
My Java runtime updated itsefl recently to 1.6.24 version, since then Google Chrome crashs with some applets that previously worked fine (not only the webplayer ones, but many other unrelated applets). But as far as I know, there's nothing wrong with firefox, IE and Opera.

JamesKilton
Halfling

Post by JamesKilton »

Could be a mac thing. I can't get any of my browsers (Safari, Firefox, Chrome) to work. They all do the following:
$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04-307-10M3261)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03-307, mixed mode)
basic: Exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/widgets/Layout
Ignored exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/swt/widgets/Layout
Ogre.rb Project Lead
maylivios
Gnoblar

Post by maylivios »

Ops! Sorry JamesKilton.

I forgot to say that currently it only works on Windows (actually, it's written on the site, but it's in portuguese).

As the webplayer access native code, we need to compile the application to all target platforms.

For example,
Supose you provide the .dll's (Windows), the .bundle's (Mac) and the .so's (Linux). The webplayer uses a config file (JNLP file) where you can specify which library will be downloaded and used based on the OS the applet is currently running.

Something like this:

<jnlp href="MyApplication.jnlp">
....//Media and Java binaries packed in Application.jar
....<resources>
........<j2se version="1.6+" href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se" />
........<jar href="Application.jar" main="true" />
....</resources>

....// Windows specific stuff >>> .dll's packed in appWin32.jar
....<resources os="Windows">
........<nativelib href="appWin32.jar"/>
....</resources>

....// Mac specific stuff >>> .bundle's packed in appMac.jar
....<resources os="Mac">
........<nativelib href="appMac.jar"/>
....</resources>

....// Linux specific stuff >>> .so's packed in appLinux.jar
....<resources os="Linux">
........<nativelib href="appLinux.jar"/>
....</resources>
</jnlp>
JamesKilton
Halfling

Post by JamesKilton »

Yeah I probably should have read the site a little bit. All good, I love the idea (not having to deal with people installing another player, or figuring out how to build a web extension to play your game == awesome), will definitely be watching this.
Ogre.rb Project Lead
zarfius
Gnome

Post by zarfius »

Maybe playing games in a browser is the way of the future, maybe not. Personally I kinda like being able to download and install games but I can see some very serious potential for marketing with this. Rather than just having a couple of youtube video's on your website you can have an actual playable demo. That alone could be a big boost to sales.
Craftwork Games - hand crafted entertainment.
http://www.craftworkgames.com/
evilshadow
Kobold

Post by evilshadow »

:lol:
It's interesting, the Sinbad is screaming when he dance...
The dark side of the moon...
JDX_John
Gnome

Post by JDX_John »

Just for interest and to answer all the threads asking about Ogre browser-plugins, I've been working on a prototype recently:

http://ogre.jdxsolutions.com/

This is a pure C++ project, no Java applets or Ogre4J. It's using Ogre 1.6 with the FireBreath C++ plugin framework. It's Windows-only but tested on IE, FF and Chrome on XP, Vista & 7 (32/64 bit) successfully.
It's a proof-of-concept only, if for some reason the Ogre code crashes it is possible to take the browser down too so don't have unsaved work open in other tabs if you know what's good for you!

Please note this is our private test-app. You may NOT use any of the resources, host the plugin in your own web-page, or spread the link, without explicit permission. If you want to tell anyone about it, please link to this forum thread/post, not to the page itself.
Assaf Raman
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Assaf Raman »

@maylivios: Do you support 64 bit version of browsers?
Watch out for my OGRE related tweets here.
maylivios
Gnoblar

Post by maylivios »

@maylivios: Do you support 64 bit version of browsers?
Not yet. Once 64-bit browsers need a 64-bit Java Plugin, which in turn load only 64-bit DLL's, I have to build a 64-bit version the App.

Thanks for pointing that out. I forgot to mention that detail on the website.

thefiloe
Gnoblar

Post by thefiloe »

i am new at ogre3d but i have always same problem... (sorry about my english) there is always so much black shadow on my screen.

Look at this. Image

On your screen it looks really nice but on my it looks bad. But you have written an extremely nice engine.
Last edited by jacmoe on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed image
maylivios
Gnoblar

Post by maylivios »

@thefiloe

Looks like there's something wrong with the drivers of your video card. Have a look at the Character Controller in the Ogre Demos to check if the same thing happens. If so, try to reinstall your video drivers.

Also, check the log file >>> $(USER_DIR)\Documents\Waveit\WebplayerSample\My.Name.log.
subgravitation
Gnoblar

Post by subgravitation »

sorry but I can't understand.. is this webplayer open source?
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

It doesn't seem to be open source.

And it doesn't use Ogre4J either - it uses JNI to let native C++ Ogre talk to their browser plugin.
Which means that you need to do almost nothing to get your Ogre based application web ready.

At least that's the impression I've got.

Why don't you take the time to read about it? :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
subgravitation
Gnoblar

Post by subgravitation »

I am from Russia, my name is Denis... :D :D :D
I don't have quite good knowledge of English, and in this topic there is so many letters... so I don't understand all of them :D thanks for your reply :)
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

Great project!! :D
The demos works well on my PC.
Also I like that your webplayer doesn't cause heavy CPU load (as usual for games, which have no fixed frame rate).
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

Damn the dance is so funny, great job !
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
BTolputt
Greenskin

Post by BTolputt »

It's not open-source and I don't expect them to make it such. It sure would be cool to have a basic version of that opened up to see how one could put it together (REALLY cool), but I can understand why it hasn't happened. Can you imagine an online Torchlight game (or similar) using a modified version of this?